Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trentemoller - post rock, prog electronic, kraut
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrentemoller - post rock, prog electronic, kraut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trentemoller - post rock, prog electronic, kraut
    Posted: April 02 2014 at 08:52
Might sound insane, but this danish band, just listening to them now and the 2013 album first track is right out of post rock experimenting, and huge trenches of prog electronics and Tangerine Dream esque lushness, Eno, or Jarre, anything works

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 09:20
waiting for a Guldbamsen reprimade, and also a good music aprroval in the same sentence but i feal this is like krautrock in a modern clothing, like a modern kraut album with the sounds of today mixed with a Neu or the more electronic thinged bands.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 11:06
LOL

Sorry Agi but yes that sounds absolutely insane. No reprimande from me though, I just think it's slightly crazy to suggest an act like Trentemøller who widely is known for being an electronic dance artist. I can't count how many times I've strutted my stuff out on various dancefloors to this cat's music. He is my preferred dj'esque music, if I'm out on the town meeting females. He has matured with his latest releases and moved away from his early music such as you'd find on a track like 'Rykketid', but including pensive and ethereal touches in his oevre doesn't exactly make him eligible for PA.
He's a contemporary electronic artist, that's about it - a great one at that thoughSmile 
Krautrock he surely isn't. Let's face it, there's no rock in his music, which then also excludes post rock.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 11:34
My apologies Christoffer, I do actually get where you're coming fromSmile

After listening to this the past couple of days, I kinda get what you're referring to, when you mention both post and Krautrock, yet both of these styles are enveloped in either electronic pop or electronic dance music. We have to draw the line somewhere, and I guess Trentemøller is too much of a pop pleaser to, at least, get me to forward him to any team (knowing the lads from electronic and post also makes it quite clear that he wouldn't stand a snowman's chance in hellWink)

Anyways, I just thought I'd report back and tell you that I sorta hear where you're coming from. 
A quick word of advice though: if any type of music revolves around the pop or the electronic dance palette, it's not very likely to stand a chance on PA. Maybe that's sad to some, but then again we are called PA for a reason.

Back before I really started getting involved with the ins and outs of this place, I thought about suggesting:

Chrome for Krautrock:

Pere Ubu for RIO:

Animal Collective for either avant, folk or psych:

and the list literally goes on and on..........yet the two first I mentioned were perhaps not part of the punk nor post punk scene, but they sure as hell weren't part of the prog either. While incorporating huge influences from both CAN and FAUST, it'd be hard to make a case for either without having to look at some 1000s of post punk and no wave bands. Again it's about drawing a line somewhere....not about whether the music is great or notSmile
The last one, Animal Collective, is one of those avant indie groups, who along with Natural Snow Buildings, Boris and other such critters are stretching the confines of the current music scene, yet are they prog - not progressive but Prog in the sense of what the word means on this very site? I don't think so, but then again I wouldn't necessarily call Faust or Linda Perhacs prog eitherTongue 
Personally I'd be all for having an "outsider" category on PA where we could store most of the Krautrockers, folkers and stuff like this, but I fear that would overstep the original thought of PA and what it is about. -And in addition to that, have you ever seen any real changes made to the forum engine in your time here? We all have great ideas from time to time, but it's all down to Max in the end. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply