Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello! And question RE selling CDs....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello! And question RE selling CDs....
    Posted: April 02 2014 at 09:47

Hi all

Thanks for having me at the forum.....  I'm looking forward to having a good nose about and seeing what prog music is favoured in these parts.  

In the meantime, I have a quick question....  I am selling my collection of CDs and vinyl (a lot of which is, you guessed, prog!) and wondered whether selling items is permitted on the forum (and if so where)?  

Cheers

Max

Edited by Max Dread - April 02 2014 at 09:48
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 11:33
I sell all my used stuff on half.com.  It's a good idea to have a mediator even if they do take a cut.  Certainly nothing prohibits you from starting a thread to let people know what you have to offer.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 19 2014 at 11:13
Max Dread View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 11:44

Thanks for that....  I've never heard of half.com.  I just took a quick look; is it some kind of ebay sister company?  Also, I'm in the UK and wondering if it is not used much here.  

Good news that I can list here.  Any ideas which forum would best suit? 

Many thanks

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 12:44
Ermm

You could try putting your stuff on ebay.co.uk then perhaps maybe possibly linking it here in the "Get The Word Out" forum (at a push, if you must).
What?
Max Dread View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm

You could try putting your stuff on ebay.co.uk then perhaps maybe possibly linking it here in the "Get The Word Out" forum (at a push, if you must).

The only trouble with that is that I have tonnes of stuff and only a small percentage of it is on ebay.  I have everything listed on a couple fo spreadsheets which is uploaded to Google Drive.  That way I can keep updating it whilst keeping the same link.  

So my preference would be to make a post explaining the finer details and giving the links to the spreadsheets?

Is that allowed, and if so should I use the   "Get The Word Out" forum or is another more suitable?

Thanks for the help

Max Dread View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 17:20

Seems I am not allowed to post in the "Get The Word Out" forum...  Is it because I have too few posts?  

Any other suggestions in how I might post what I am selling?

Many thanks

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 17:57
No one can provide you with an answer simply because there isn't one.

...What we're trying to say without appearing rude or unfriendly is that if you look around our little forum here you won't see any similar posts of people trying to sell us their stuff. If you want to prattle endlessly about progressive rock music or what you had for tea last night then we're just the place for you, but if you want to sell crap go to half.com, ebay, gumtree, craiglist or musicmagpie.co.uk.

What?
Max Dread View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 06:13

Fair enough.  A sign of the times I suppose where internet hob nobbing is just as important (if not more important) than the music....  

The way I see it, the thing that unites people to this forum and similar forums is the shared interest in a style of music.  So to me it seems the perfect place to offer music of those styles for sale.  It's like at music festivals...  You get a market which sells merchandise/music etc.  It would be like telling the stall holders not to come because the festival the festival is for watching bands, drinking beer, and puking in the text!!!  

I don't wish to appear rude either.  I just don't understand the logic.  

Never mind, I've got my coat!

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 07:06
Max, if you take a look at the front page of the site to which this forum belongs, I'm sure you'll notice links all around pointing you too eBay, Amazon and other retailers who have ads here, for which I assum they pay PA something, which in turn helps with running costs. So you can see there why having private sellers might be a bit frowned upon.

I see no trouble with private sellers myself, get a lot of deals done that way and would be eager to peek at your list. I do hope you don't get discouraged from becoming an active member on the forum just because a former Admin was a bit of a prick. If need be, PM an active Admin with your query. And in the meantime, take part! Get a few more posts in order to access other parts of the forum. Cheers and welcome!
Bigger on the inside.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 07:21
Hmm... poor analogy, Michael Eavis charges stall holders to sell stuff at his festival, and other festival organisers are no different. We simply do not provide the facility or encourage unsolicited selling.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 07:58
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Max, if you take a look at the front page of the site to which this forum belongs, I'm sure you'll notice links all around pointing you too eBay, Amazon and other retailers who have ads here, for which I assum they pay PA something, which in turn helps with running costs. So you can see there why having private sellers might be a bit frowned upon.

I see no trouble with private sellers myself, get a lot of deals done that way and would be eager to peek at your list. I do hope you don't get discouraged from becoming an active member on the forum just because a former Admin was a bit of a prick. If need be, PM an active Admin with your query. And in the meantime, take part! Get a few more posts in order to access other parts of the forum. Cheers and welcome!
Private sellers are frowned upon because one of the forum rules is "no illegal activities" and that includes the inevitable sale of Bootleg and RoIOs, so the Admins would have to vet the CD lists for such items, and they're not prepared to waste hours on end vetting independent CD and merch sellers and their lists. 

Someone offering a single CD or a spare ticket to a gig is okay, but wholesale selling is not. There is a line between selling a few CDs and spam, I chose give him the benefit of the doubt and be polite. I have since discovered he is a member of at least 6 other forums where he attempt to sell CDs (mainly metal and guitar forums). You can do the same if you're that interested in buying from his list, (or from the bloke in your local bar who is selling DVDs from a sports bag for all I care).

Incidentally, he does not play an active part in any of the forum discussions on those sites either, so while you may try and encourage him to join-in here, it isn't going to happen - five posts and all of them in this one thread is fair indication of that.

It is better to be a bit of a prick than a complete one Joćo. Stern Smile
What?
Max Dread View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 08:28
I'm not sure why you feel the need to be impolite and immature. But hey, one born every minute.

And for the record, yes I have joined some forums to offer my CDs for sale. But as was the case here, I asked for permission first and respected what I was told. I think that's fair enough.

Furthermore, on several of those forums I have been a long standing member and have loads of posts. Take sevenstring.org for example. 629 posts. You'd make a great lawyer my friend, with your twisting of the truth.  

Anyhow, besides all this, I don't really see a need to defend myself.  You seem to take on some tone of superiority and arrogance and are acting as if you have "found me out".  But the fact is I have not done anything wrong.  I have posted in forums where I have gained permission.  Just like I did not post in this forum until I had gained permission.  

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 09:47
Why do a few people here on the site continuously feel the need to be arrogant & snobbish,when simple questions are asked? Just wondering is all.....We are all here to discuss music & share what we are listening to,eating/drinking,watching on tv or whatever,there's no need for the needless putdowns, belittlement & talking to some of us as if we are children that i see on almost a daily basis....
By the way-Definition of continuously is=uninterrupted in time/without cessation
Ban me i don't really give *uck anymore....
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Max Dread View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 09:53
Kotro and Kentucky_Hawkwindage - thanks for your kindness and for taking the time to join in....  It has added some oh so needed balance to this thread...  Big smile 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:03
Message from The Vinyl People - As a last ditch effort you could just take them out to your backyard and play Frisbee with them, but vinyl LP discs are much more fun when used that way. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 19 2014 at 11:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:10
Why would anyone want to play frisbee with perfectly good records? Some records are worth big bucks these days.I've sold many $100.00 LPs that i paid like .50 cents to $1.00 for at yard sales on ebay & got like $240.00 for a Master's Apprentince Toast To Panama Red LP on ebay that i paid $2.50 for.I actually regret selling that record now it was NM- condition.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:13
Well you save the playing frisbee with any perfectly awful records you may have in your collection, but I'm guessing by your statement you are perfectly fine with using any CDs in this manner... Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 12:49
Bienvenue, Max.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 13:31
Rude, arrogant, snobbish, immature, constantly putting people down ... and this is when I'm trying to be polite.

Yup, that sounds like me.

So Max, It seems we've got off on the wrong foot and I've misjudged you. Sorry I don't want to buy any of your CDs and DVDs today, I was tempted by the Skinny Puppy - Remission & Bites but I can get it from Amazon so I'll pass on that. Anyway.... what are your thoughts on the latest Ian Anderson album? What did you have for tea today? Anything nice?

And Jeff, somehow I've managed to offend you, how very ill-mannered of me not to have noticed, I must apologise for that immediately. However, you may need to refresh my memory on specifics because I somehow seem to offend people on a daily basis around here just by having an opinion.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 13:40
Dean-I was simply taking up for Max Dread.All he did was politely ask a question about selling CD's on here & got a bunch of BS in return.
I never did like bullies....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>