Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 23:45
Light ConstruKction
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 07:45
One early summer morning back in 1996 I left for work and along the way decided to listen to a copy of the 'Yes Album' a friend had given me.  I knew of Yes and like some of their songs, but had never really listened to their albums before.  I was blown away!  I ended up driving right past my job and just kept going.  I spent the day listening to this beautiful album over and over again.  The sun was shining, car windows were down and the music turned up.  An amazing experience.  Oh and I ended up quitting that job...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 10:08
Summer of 1999, I fulfilled a pipe dream I'd had for years by actually seeing Magma in concert.  They had just reformed and were making a rare visit to the US for ProgFest in San Francisco (I came from Atlanta).  I held onto every note like spoonfuls of a really bitchen bowl of ice cream.  It was one of the most spiritually intense moments in my life.  As is now well known, the newer incarnations of Magma are every bit as vital as the older incarnations.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 05 2014 at 10:09
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 16:04
Meeting Neil Peart's dad was something else, especially listening to this proud father talk about his son for the 20 minutes to half hour that he was in the store. When he came back he gave me a Snakes & Arrows t-shirt which was their current album at the time. 
Yes there's been concerts I could bring up but its been listening to tunes while driving around that has given me so many amazing memories. It was hearing Dream Theater's over 23 minute A Change Of Seasons for the first time as I drove to to work that made me realize my search was over. I had goose bumps listening to this and I never thought I would again find music that would do that. I had found Prog Rock ! And while my search was over in one way, it had only just begun in another way and it continues to this day.
Listening to Permanent Waves while driving around the beaches spaced out in the early eighties was a dream wasn't it ?
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 04:13
The first time I listened to Close to the Edge in 73 and it transposed me to another world from which I never came back.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 06:03
I heard lots of prog rock as a kid with little or no idea who or what.... and then later on checking stuff out and realizing what I had been hearing, like smell activating a memory. There were a lot of students living where I grew up and I think I heard everything I could. Sometimes even when I didn't want to like trying to get to sleep but not really worrying about it. Bit like being an adult (more or less) only others are trying to get to sleep and I'm not really worrying about it. Same music though... Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 11:01
Hi,

Too many to matter, but i'm specially fond of running around Fred Meyer's in Salem, Oregon with Gilly looking for Halloween stuff that she could have fun with and listening to her talk about the bad impression on witches that the holiday was giving the kids, and lowering the value of women with it!

A nice evening with Daevid as well, talking about anything and everything you can think of!

Too many of the other rock moments are stupid, egocentric and not worth the hassle and discussion!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 12:31
Some more recent memories,

2002-talking by phone to former Dzyan and Vita Nova guitarist Prof. Eddy Marron, one of my musical heroes. His English was better than my Dutch, luckily.

2013-connected on facebook with a close friend of the late Helmut Koellen, and learned a few things that I did not know about his life. It was a pleasure communicating with someone who knew Helmut well.

2014-recieving a nice thank you for my reviews of LIbra albums from none other than their lead guitarist Nicola DiStaso.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:22
1969. I am 11, already heavily into rock in most genres. My older brother comes home from college. Always had "new" music to play for me and my younger brother. He puts on a new album that he first heard only a few weeks earlier: In the Court of the Crimson King by a new band called King Crimson. By the time we are less than a full minute into 21st Century Schizoid Man, I sense that something has changed in rock. By the end of the album, I know that I have heard something extraordinary, and that rock will never be the same.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:32
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

In the beautiful beginning of spring, 1985, just when things are starting to warm up and become human again. I am 22 years old, and not that familiar with progressive rock.  A friend lends me a copy of Triumvirat's Illusions On A Double Dimple. I had seen the "mouse in an egg-shell cover" in used record stores before, but had never actually heard the record. I'm in my living room, with my headphones on, and listening to it. The beauty of the music seemed to distill in me all the beauty of that '85 spring; I knew right when I heard it, that I had stumbled across "the real thing" when it comes to progressive rock. Mind-blowing technique coupled with beauty. And as that spring unfolded, I had to hear this record over and over. This opened the floodgates for collecting prog for me. An unforgettable experience.
Hey man i've noticed your a Triumvirat fan.When i was selling records on ebay by the ton i sold several Triumvirat LPs.I never once gave it a thought to give one a spin.I'm beginning to think i might have missed out on something.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:36
^you did miss out on something, friend. The best ones are the first three, Mediterranean Tales, Illusions On A Double Dimple, and Spartacus. Must haves for seventies prog. They are Symphonic Prog influenced by The Nice and ELP, but are not a clone, Triumvirat has it's own musical identity, and a great one at that!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 20:39

^you did miss out on something, friend. The best ones are the first three, Mediterranean Tales, Illusions On A Double Dimple, and Spartacus. Must haves for seventies prog. They are Symphonic Prog influenced by The Nice and ELP, but are not a clone, Triumvirat has it's own musical identity, and a great one at that!
By golly i will check them out & report back.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 20:48
My best prog memories have to be from the early `80s.At the the time i had a `72 Chevelle SS that would run like hell-a beast.But i also had a very decent stereo in it.I really miss driving it around with Black Sabbath,Blue Oyster Cult or Pink Floyd blasting-boy those were days.Had lots of fun with and in that car,but i had to do something with my life so i joined the ArmyLOL
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 11:51
King Crimson at the Greek Theater on their Beat tour.  I was absolutely stoned by the end of the first song and we hadn't even started partying yet.  Absolutely mesmerizing and captivating like no other show I've ever been.  Seen some great shows over the years (just got back from Baja as a matter of fact), but the Crims really nailed it that night.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 21:57
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

By golly i will check them out & report back.

I wouldn't count Old Love Die Hard out. It might be because it was the first one I heard but I love it. It's poppier than the other 3 but really high quality poppy. Maybe a bit Supertrampy.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 23:45
Although that Jethro Tull in my hometown of Belgrade in March 1975 was the first progressive rock concert that I was attended as an 12 yrs old kid (so many thanks for older boys who took me there), my best memory is SMAK gig in Belgrade in September 1977.

The above video is a collage actually, but well reflects the atmosphere of their gigs in seventies.

Edited by Svetonio - April 07 2014 at 23:48
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 14:42
Tull in '73 live behind Passion Play. Simply marvelous!
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 18:45
My fisrt Jethro Tull concert they played all of TAAB and most of Aqualung. Simply amazing! I'll say it again, for my money Ian Anderson was the greatest frontman on stage! Saw them also do APP complete as well.

Saw Yes shortly do the Yes Songs tour. Incredible.

Saw Mahavishnu Orchestra play most of Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame in a small venue of 200 people and it was amazing.
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 13:17
Originally posted by 33rpm 33rpm wrote:

My fisrt Jethro Tull concert they played all of TAAB and most of Aqualung. Simply amazing! I'll say it again, for my money Ian Anderson was the greatest frontman on stage! Saw them also do APP complete as well.Saw Yes shortly do the Yes Songs tour. Incredible. Saw Mahavishnu Orchestra play most of Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame in a small venue of 200 people and it was amazing.

To have seen both live performances of Tull's TAAB and APP must have been awe-inspiring. I'm even more jealous that you saw Yes and Mahavishnu Orch. during their most noted periods of shining glory (Yessongs and Birds of Fire). Missed both as I had not yet starting attending shows then but heard both records enough to wish I had been there. You must surely be proud that you were.
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by 33rpm 33rpm wrote:

My fisrt Jethro Tull concert they played all of TAAB and most of Aqualung. Simply amazing! I'll say it again, for my money Ian Anderson was the greatest frontman on stage! Saw them also do APP complete as well.Saw Yes shortly do the Yes Songs tour. Incredible. Saw Mahavishnu Orchestra play most of Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame in a small venue of 200 people and it was amazing.

To have seen both live performances of Tull's TAAB and APP must have been awe-inspiring. I'm even more jealous that you saw Yes and Mahavishnu Orch. during their most noted periods of shining glory (Yessongs and Birds of Fire). Missed both as I had not yet starting attending shows then but heard both records enough to wish I had been there. You must surely be proud that you were.

Thanks, they were all amazing along with many more. Just lucky on the timing although it means I am OLD!
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>