Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour Best Prog Memories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 21:36
seeing Yes 35th Anniversary show at Madison Sq Garden---specifically the finale of And You and I---which was so loud and so powerful--the Howe slide guitar sooo amazing --the keyboard so powerful---the entire Garden stood up and gave the boys a 5 minute ovation before the song ended (the ending being Jon singing and u and I one more time) --brought a tear to my eye as I thought how amazing a band and for so long---and still such great music--and I also thought I wound't see this original line up again and turns out --I was right.Cry
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 22:32
Best prog memory at the moment.....first listens of In The Land Of Grey & Pink when I was 10
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:42
When I first got my 10 speaker audio system from Bose and cranked a few live albums like,
Saviour Machine's Live and Deutschland (1995,2002). That was pretty special moment for me.

Also. Seeing Dream Theater live for the first time at Toronto's Molson amphitheater.

Finding 6 brand new Iron Maiden albums for 22$ at sonicboom records many years back.

Seeing GOBLIN live at The Opera House last year. It's the first time they've ever played on Canadian soil.
Pretty special.

My Dad buying me The Genesis Box set live recordings (1973-2007) for my 29th birthday.

Oh so many more but I don't wanna bore people. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 10:18
Hi,

I have to be honest here.

Some of the really good memories in "prog" or "progressive" anything have taken place in one spot for me.

Prog Archives!

There are too many writings, by too many folks to mention, and too many ideas, thoughts and inter-actions that are so much more in tune with "prog" and "progressive" than, EVEN, most of the music we bother to mention.

I still think that prog/progressive is more world wide wise than we give it credit for, and the board has a serious listing of bands from other countries, albeit too few of them will ever make the top 100, because that is a top ten, Billboard, or Top of the Pops style concept and a sales ploy in an industrial/commercial society. I would rather the fans voted for bands, and the top 100 would be the bands that people love and talk about the most.

Still, compared to my having dinner with, and photographed such, and spent time with, and what not, I find some of the articles and discussions here way more inspiring, in terms of my listening and desire to discuss it all.

So to you all ... a toast! Your favorite drink! And you too, old fart Dean!

(How weird, me not liking the prog being Brittish and I have the biggest collection of Brittish theater, film, music, comedy, literature ... oh well! I already feel like Terry Gilliam! It's the curse of being born on Nov 22!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gatot View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 08:44
When I was 12, my brother gave me a cassette of Genesis "Nursery Cryme" and a local music magazine "Aktuil" featuring Genesis and Peter Gabriel. He said :"Listen and read!". I did not understand the Musical Box but I can understand The Return of The Giant Hogweed. Only when I was 14, I was blown away by Yes' "Roundabout" and declared myself as Yes fan. There was no term such as "prog" at that time ...
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 18:11
Hosting one of Patrick Moraz's CHAT shows in '95.
Winning a backstage pass after a Rick Wakeman Silent Nights tour show in 1985 and listening to him tell war stories.
A nice solo chat with Alan White during a Keys To Ascension in-store promo.

I've also met (not including meet and greets) Peter Banks, Jeff Berlin, and Steve Morse.

And of course, my first prog concert at the Hollywood Bowl for the Relayer Tour.
dave-the-rave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 14:09
1. Having Jon Anderson sing 'Happy Birthday' to me at a solo show at BB King's in NYC in 2004, then tracking down a bootleg of the show so as to own it forever

2. Driving 10 hours from NYC to Columbus, OH to sit 3rd row center for Yes' Masterworks tour; met the band backstage, got autographs on my crayon drawing of the band, and followed them to their hotel bar to drink with them until 2 am

3. Sang 'I Talk to the Wind' (from first KC album) with Ian MacDonald (who wrote it) on guitar, when we were both working separately on music in a NYC music studio. (I work in advertising and was working on the music to a Hershey's Bar None TV spot). After finishing, Ian said, "Nicely done. Nest time we'll do it in the right key."

4. Stood 10 feet behind Gregg Allman onstage at an ABB gig in NYC's Beacon Theater. (A friend of mine is a friend of Warren Haynes' wife).

Edited by dave-the-rave - April 25 2014 at 14:16
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 10:21
Well there was that time, you know, when those guys did that thing...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234