Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

4 little gems (67)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
2 [33.33%]
3 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (67)
    Posted: April 05 2014 at 15:44
Acintya : La cité des dieux oubliès
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQy82EIaYg

Exil : Fusionen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aDOa0c8F1s

Lethe : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA3lbZGUKHo

Rob Thomsett : Yaraandoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7WHOorpy1I
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 15:46

From deep within the Australian Outback comes Yaraandoo, the 40,000 year-old sound of antediluvian Aboriginal folklore channeled through Mellotron, hypnotic washes of Moog oscillations, Bamboo flutes and tape delay. Welcome to the unearthed, unheard of and indefinable genre of Australian Dreamtime Psych.

Re-presented for the first time, The Roundtable announces a much-anticipated reissue of this mythical Australian Lo-fi concept recording composed by Jazz guitarist Rob Thomsett. Working in a similar impressionistic mode as other Australian originals Sven Libaek and John Sangster, Thomsett sets to music the Aboriginal Dreamtime myth of Yaraandoo... the legend of the dawn of creation.

Self recorded on a two track in 1974 then privately pressed and distributed amongst friends, Yaraandoo is without a doubt the most desired and speculated Australian progressive recording in existence. With only 100 handmade LP copies originally pressed, copies of this phenomenal LP rarely surface. 
Yaraandoo is a true lost timepiece from the Australian underground.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 17:32

Bewin, (1) (saxophone) 
 Eckl, Georg (1) (electric piano) 
 Funk, Bernd (1) (percussion) 
 Jotwin, (1) (vocals, cello) 
 Lutz, Eva (1) (violin, cello) 
 Steiner, Bernd (1) (guitar, drums)

On Thomas Hayes's 
cd-reissue wishlist he tells; "Exil - Fusionen (Germany) 1975 FHZ. If you can imagine the 1975 era Embryo releasing "Embryo's Reise" from 1979, then I think you'd have a good idea of Exil's "Fusionen" release. Amongst the usual rock instrumentation there's lots of violin, electric piano and sax playing Eastern European and Asian influenced jazz rock. Aera's "Hand und Fuss" is another good reference as is an instrumental Emma Myldenberger circa "Tour de Trance". A very fine work." perhaps this is the only written information at net. This album enough good for not to be forgotten, any information welcome. A hidden treasure, gently whispers to our ears from 30 years ago!
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Post/Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 19:42
Never heard any before but voted for Lethe.
"We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything" - Thomas Edison
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 01:16
Thumbs Up  Great album, Z.. Close to Camel, maybe better. ( I'm not a big Camel fan, but i love this one.)

Tracks
:
  1. Lethe [5:36]
  2. Avbury circle [9:46]
  3. Cold in fingers [9:49]
  4. Le tombeau II [9:25]

Musicians:

• Thuur Feyen: Organ, piano, strings
  • Philip de Goey: Piano, oboe, flute, cor Anglais
  • Hans Lambers: Drums, percussion, xylophone, vibraphone, strings
  • Johan Saanen: Bass guitar
  • Kees Walravens: Guitar, classical guitar

Information:
Recorded at MMP Studios, Waalwijk

LP MMP 10781 (1981)

Review:
This album by Lethe can be seen as the follow up of the Daybreak album, since this band contains the core of musicians who recorded Mirror. The music of both albums is similar. This record however is completely instrumental and the production is much better. It is best compared to the music of Camel.

The album opens with birds, piano and oboe. Then a classical guitar is added. So a very quiet and relaxed opening. The second track continues where the first one left us. It is only after a few minutes when the full rock band starts to play. This part of the song contains some excellent guitar and organ playing in the vein of Camel. On the third track an important role is reserved for the flute. Again a great track. On the closer all the elements ofLethe's music come together once again. It is a melodic track, with good guitar solos, some oboe, flute. Relaxed parts and rocking parts.

This is another good album, and a little better than the Mirror album. I can recommend this anyone who likes some good instrumental progressive rock, and especially for those who like Camel.

(Agemo, Dutch Progressive Rock of the Seventies)

Lethe's album starts off rather inconspicuously with a classically oriented oboe, acoustic guitar and piano piece. But, just as Mirror before them, the band launches into a sophisticated, but highly melodic progressive rock form. And while Side 1 is good, side 2 is an absolute clinic on how to combine complexity and yet still maintain a strong melodic backbone. This is the album that Camel never made after "Moonmadness". Astounding album really.

(CD reissue wishlist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPCS178H8g

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 16:37
It's between the Australian and Exil although that Lethe is great too. Never heard of any of them but these should be well known because they are so good.Thumbs Up
I'm going with Yaraandoo
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 17:11
Thanks John.Clap I'm very proud myself of that poll. As you say, these bands are so good and even if they make you think to someone else (Embryo or Camel), they have their own personality.  Strange paradox of art : The more you dig, the more you see the sky. 

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 18:25
Originally posted by hellogoodbye

Thanks John.Clap I'm very proud myself of that poll. As you say, these bands are so good and even if they make you think to someone else (Embryo or Camel), they have their own personality.  Strange paradox of art : The more you dig, the more you see the sky. 

Man you have some great quotes Pierre.Clap  And your polls prove that the search for new Prog is endless.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - April 06 2014 at 18:26
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 02:34

Originating from Nancy (Lorraine, France), ACINTYA offers top-notch instrumental symphonic Progressive rock. Keyboardist Philippe De CANCK's group recorded one sole album in 1978, "La Cité Des Dieux Oubliés" in 1978. The two long tracks making the vinyl, not to mention the opening-track "Adyane", are enlightened by the use of solemn and majestic keyboards, including the organ of Saint-Nicolas-De-Port's famous basillica. These parts are cleverly completed by an inspired violin, played by Philippe CLEESE. Somewhere in the tradition of the Frence neo-classic Progressive rock, the art of ACINTYA may recall the complex and elaborated themes courtesy of WAPASSOU, for instance. A quarter of a century after having reissued it in vinyl, the Musea label now delivers its digital version. This CD edition ends up with two extra-tracks, captured during one of the first rehearsals by the band in the year 1976. Musea also found a live performance in its treasure vault, captured live at Nancy's Salle Poirel, January 12th, 1979. Here's the only opportunity to listen to two tracks of the album plus three unreleased ones, played with organ, synthesizers, piano and Mellotron. Now reduced to a trio without violin, the band relies on a strong rhythm section. "In Live" is an unique document for a group gone much too soon... Not to be missed !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 04:09
I went with Yaraandoo. Amazing stuff !
Sagichim View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 02:14
Indeed great stuff here. I'm going with Yaraandoo as well, I wish there were more samples to listen to, this is really good! As I understand it was reissued on CD, so I'll get that one if it's available.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 03:41
No, Sag, there's only a Lp. 
 Post Reply Post Reply