This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 00:18
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'd never consider Pearl Jam a grunge band. They were/are a rock n roll band who just so happened to have a dude singing from way back in his throat - just like most of the grunge bands had. The guitars and rhythm section were taken straight out of the 70s if you ask me.
Anyway, I dig a few bands from both sides of the fence: Supergrass, Blur (13 is a wonderful album!) and The Verve.
Alice in Chains and Melvins. Like I said, I don't hear Pearl Jam as a grunge band and that goes for Soundgarden as well. Both are pretty good bands, although it's been a while since I last listened to either. 
No vote I guessEmbarrassed
about Pearl Jam, its spessial case, in many ways they are grunge band in such a way its quite wrongly to suggest otherways, why!. Just by whixh bands that preseves PJ, grunge history would have no meat haddent it been because of the three bands which Pearl Jam consists of two of them are on Deep Six, Green River, Malfunksion and Mother Love Bone out of the ashes of MLB came Pearl Jam as a reaction on the death of Andrew Wood, grungefirst reality check, spawn the band Temple of the Dog, Chris Cornell was Andy Woods room-mate, Pearl Kam is historicly the grunge neuronsystem.

Im not saying this to sound likrme a smartass but i have studdied grunge on a nigh- antropological level

Don't worry Agi, I agree - from a historical pov Pearl Jam is probably the quintessential grunge band ( i have the Temple of the Dog album too and know the history quite well) I was merely talking about their sound.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 02:13
I get the impression that "grunge" was more of a regional scene and subculture than a sound, though, the same thing being to a lesser extent the case with "Britpop".
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 02:57
^ I've never really been able to appreciate the difference between the two, notwithstanding the local flavours inherent in any scene, I mean as others have pointed out, isn't indie rock from Seattle, London, Brisbane, Buenos Aries, CapeTown, Neptune etc, no matter how 'edgy' still just erm..indie rock? I also think the assertion that grunge was predominantly nihilistic/pessimistic compared with the perceived optimism of Brit Pop as overly simplistic. I didn't vote because I'm a sad old man who smells of pee.

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 09 2014 at 06:58
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 04:23
For the most time "indie" just meant anything on an independent label, I don't think it really started referring to a specific musical style until the 21st century or at least the mid/late-1990s. I'm also pretty sure all the big names in grunge and most of the Britpop acts were on major labels.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 09 2014 at 04:24
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 04:38
Sub pop was an indie label
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 05:54
Although I prefer Grunge much more than Britpop (Grunge was a great scream, an anti-establishment protest of one generation - different than 60s and 70s though, but the genre has that atmosphere), both genres was a fresh air after 80s bullsh*tt genres like synthpop and so on.

...just as a decor, two songs from my fav Grunge album ever...

Edited by Svetonio - April 09 2014 at 05:58
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 06:17
Strange - any American guitar led band which came out of that particular area got labelled grunge & any UK guitar led band got labelled brit-pop (reminds me when Elvis Costello & Ian Dury emerged in the late 70s, they were initially labelled punk )

Blur, Suede, Manics, Oasis & Pulp definitely spoke more to me as a listener in the early 90s than did the new American bands emerging at the time (although Pearl Jam & Soundgarden impressed me from the first).

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Definitely a big Mansun fan, good Dr, and easily their first album, and probably the third have plenty of Brit-pop moments throughout! Actually, there's plenty of bits on `Six' like that as well, stuff like `Being A Girl', etc.

Terrific band - great singer, sh*t-hot guitar player too.

Now you're talking - one of the great bands nobody ever heard of at the time (no! Not Marilyn Manson, you head!); saw them many times & they never disappointed ('Television' even a tad proggy...? )

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 06:34

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I'd never consider Pearl Jam a grunge band. They were/are a rock n roll band who just so happened to have a dude singing from way back in his throat - just like most of the grunge bands had. The guitars and rhythm section were taken straight out of the 70s if you ask me.
Anyway, I dig a few bands from both sides of the fence: Supergrass, Blur (13 is a wonderful album!) and The Verve.
Alice in Chains and Melvins. Like I said, I don't hear Pearl Jam as a grunge band and that goes for Soundgarden as well. Both are pretty good bands, although it's been a while since I last listened to either. 
No vote I guessEmbarrassed
about Pearl Jam, its spessial case, in many ways they are grunge band in such a way its quite wrongly to suggest otherways, why!. Just by whixh bands that preseves PJ, grunge history would have no meat haddent it been because of the three bands which Pearl Jam consists of two of them are on Deep Six, Green River, Malfunksion and Mother Love Bone out of the ashes of MLB came Pearl Jam as a reaction on the death of Andrew Wood, grungefirst reality check, spawn the band Temple of the Dog, Chris Cornell was Andy Woods room-mate, Pearl Kam is historicly the grunge neuronsystem.

Im not saying this to sound likrme a smartass but i have studdied grunge on a nigh- antropological level

Don't worry Agi, I agree - from a historical pov Pearl Jam is probably the quintessential grunge band ( i have the Temple of the Dog album too and know the history quite well) I was merely talking about their sound.
I am not vorrried i was just pointing something for the sake of pointing at something Embarrassed.  I never been to fan of the singers voice, its a good voice but i don't fancy his timbre. Unhappy I like the bands sound though on the more post-punky and darker songs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 06:50
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

For the most time "indie" just meant anything on an independent label, I don't think it really started referring to a specific musical style until the 21st century or at least the mid/late-1990s. I'm also pretty sure all the big names in grunge and most of the Britpop acts were on major labels.

Point taken but I think that a literal interpretation is meaningless from the point of view that 'indie' for me denotes an attitude and maybe guitar oriented texture regardless of the status of the record label.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 06:53
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Strange - any American guitar led band which came out of that particular area got labelled grunge & any UK guitar led band got labelled brit-pop (reminds me when Elvis Costello & Ian Dury emerged in the late 70s, they were initially labelled punk )

Blur, Suede, Manics, Oasis & Pulp definitely spoke more to me as a listener in the early 90s than did the new American bands emerging at the time (although Pearl Jam & Soundgarden impressed me from the first).

Definitely a big Mansun fan, good Dr, and easily their first album, and probably the third have plenty of Brit-pop moments throughout! Actually, there's plenty of bits on `Six' like that as well, stuff like `Being A Girl', etc.

Now you're talking - one of the great bands nobody ever heard of at the time (no! Not Marilyn Manson, you head!); saw them many times & they never disappointed ('Television' even a tad proggy...? )

I'm a tad confused, what do you mean by Television even a tad proggy?Confused (If you mean the late 70's NYC Tom Verlaine fronted band then they were neither proggy or punk)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 06:59
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I'm a tad confused, what do you mean by Television even a tad proggy?Confused (If you mean the late 70's NYC Tom Verlaine fronted band then they were neither proggy or punk)

No, Jim! Try this:

Give the whole track a chance, and dig that ultra-proggy album cover!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 07:01
^ Oh bugger, right sorry I got the wrong end of the schtick entirely - apologiesEmbarrassed
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 07:05
Actually, this may be ever better:

Dig the instrumental stretch that starts at about 1:45, and the searing electric guitar at about 5:40.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 07:17
Quote originaly posted by Textbook   (...)

Binaural (2000)
13 songs
52 minutes

I don't know why but I love this cover art.
Band relations continued to improve as evidenced by the fact that Vedder only wrote five of the 13 songs by himself, continuing to welcome contributions from the other members. In fact they rallied around him- they were already in the studio putting down cuts like Breakerfall and Grievance and asked to see the rest of the material- and Vedder had to admit that there wasn't any. He was experiencing the worst case of writer's block he'd ever had. While the songs would eventually get flowing again, in the meantime the band responded by rising to the ocassion- some of my favourite songs here, like God's Dice are not Vedder compositions.
Before we get into the songs though, Binaural was something pretty alarming to PJ fans, who were used to being alarmed. It was a gimmick album. The gimmick specifically was that it used producer Tchad Blake's "binaural" recording technique which gives the album its name. So far it's the only album besides Ten not to be made with Brendan O'Brien but Ament said the band felt like it was settling into slightly-too-comfortable middle-age and changing producers was a way of keeping things interesting. So what is binaural recording? Basically it's recording for headphones, intending the sound for entry via two isolated points (each ear). And what difference does it make to PJ's album? None that I can tell. It doesn't even sound particularly different, which is the consensus view, and hence my calling the whole thing a gimmick. I'm sure PJ didn't intend it as one but it was trumpeted as being significant and isn't.
Which leaves the album to die or fly on the songs themselves. The album opens with a brace of hard rockers, all under three minutes. Breakerfall gets things rocking, wearing its Who influences on its sleeve and Evacuation sees Cameron knocking the stuffings out of his kit to make his mark and Vedder hollering out a high impact chorus. However it's Ament's God's Dice which is easily my favourite of this opening salvo. (...)

(...)

What a great homage PJ with Binaural did do to The Who, especially Vedder with Soon Forget did do homage to Townshend (Blue, Red And Grey).
Btw, this is a nice, related topic by Textbook : http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68825
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 07:23
Grunge (excl. Nirvana) by far... although maybe not the best term to describe the likes of AIC and Soundgarden

I would happily call AIC alt metal Approve
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:30
Reading the whole thread I understood that grunge had only one band - Nirvana Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 13:24
Grunge, probably.
Rihanna View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 01:28
Britpop cause i love Oasis!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 07:14
^ Well said Rihanna, I adore the mancunian critters also but they seem to attract a lot of flak round these prog parts y'all?
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 09:37
Grunge any day of the week.Come to think of it i'm more of a grunge fan that I realized.I've always liked Pearl Jam & Soundgarden(if its truly grunge).To me & probably me alone Pearl Jam is the epitome of Grunge.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>