FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Opeth album, "Pale Communion"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 22:32
I miss the growls :(
Especially from the best (His guttural beastly growlings are so good especially on Still Life)
But this new album I'm really looking forward too!
ultra plinian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 17:54
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I disliked Heritage a lot, so I look to this with skepticism, but it does sound better on paper.

What's there not to like about Heritage?

-I don't like jazz in my metal
-I don't like organ in anything but Deep Purple or VdGG
-The songs meander with few hooks
-It's just kinda bland throughout
-I actually liked growls and heavy riffs, but apparently Opeth's not down with that anymore

I fully agree with the 3 points in bold.

As do I.

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 09:24
Yeah, I thought Heritage was an interesting idea, if a little bland in execution compared to previous releases, hopefully they are a little more inspired this time around... I want an audio sample!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 10:16
Originally posted by ultra plinian ultra plinian wrote:

Another new interview... very thorough...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/mikael_akerfeldt_this_record_is_more_melodic_slightly_heavier_and_a_bit_more_schizophrenic.html

Interesting interview. I think in some aspects regarding sound production he's talking out of his arse and in others he's spot on. Regarding the album, I'm getting the impression it might be a bit more focused than Heritage, and if it's heavier thats even better, either way I'm looking forward to getting to to hear it in June.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 11:18
OK - I'm now officially excited.

Maybe I'll actually & finally get to see them on the next tour

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 21:13

Another new interview... very thorough... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/mikael_akerfeldt_this_record_is_more_melodic_slightly_heavier_and_a_bit_more_schizophrenic.html

Interesting interview. I think in some aspects regarding sound production he's talking out of his arse and in others he's spot on. Regarding the album, I'm getting the impression it might be a bit more focused than Heritage, and if it's heavier thats even better, either way I'm looking forward to getting to to hear it in June.

It was a very interesting interview, and I really like the way he is thinking. Actually, lately I have wondered why can't an album be recorded in much less time. I mean the band may take all the time they want/need writing, composing, and rehearsing the album/songs... and I do understand that if they take their time recording in by parts and doing the parts again as many times as necessary, and then pasting the better parts the album will in theory come out better. But in the end, if it's at least a decent band, and if they have any ambition of going out on tour, they should be perfectly capable of playing the songs right in one take and all together... and just in case, they may record each song twice or thrice, and in less than a day the album could be recorded. Of course, I'm not a musician and have no idea how the pressure goes on a studio, and I bet this point of view could be rather a result of being naive, but I don't see why a band shouldn't be able to do this. And I feel the final result would be more honest, at least.

Edited by Dellinger - May 08 2014 at 21:01
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 22:12
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

This is my hope as well!  I'd love it if they came to The Fillmore in SF because the atmosphere of that place would fit Opeth's style of music perfectly.  I saw SW there last May and I was blown away by not only his solo act, but the venue as well.
tadracing99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 09:18
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

This is my hope as well!  I'd love it if they came to The Fillmore in SF because the atmosphere of that place would fit Opeth's style of music perfectly.  I saw SW there last May and I was blown away by not only his solo act, but the venue as well.

I was privileged enough to see them when they toured with Mastodon and Ghost a year or so back. Great show, and his clean vocal performance was absolutely flawless live. I'd recommend to any fan of them to go, totally worth it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 17:58
If they come anywhere near the Bay area, I'm there.  I just became a fan of theirs last summer when I finally bought Blackwater Park to give them a try after blowing them off for years.  I always thought they were just straight death metal and I had no interest in that.  It's funny how other bands that are similar to Opeth do absolutely nothing for me, but for whatever reason, they just click with me.
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 16:01
Bad news folks the album (and single) is delayed. The single will come on June 3rd and the album on August 26th.

http://loudwire.com/opeth-push-back-pale-communion-album-cusp-of-eternity-single-release-dates/
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 17:21
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Another new interview... very thorough... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/mikael_akerfeldt_this_record_is_more_melodic_slightly_heavier_and_a_bit_more_schizophrenic.html

It was a very interesting interview, and I really like the way he is thinking. Actually, lately I have wondered why can't and album be recorded in much less time. I mean the band may take all the time they want/need writing, composing, and rehearsing the album/songs... and I do understand that if they take their time recording in by parts and doing the parts again as many times as necessary, and then pasting the better parts the album will in theory come out better. But in the end, if it's at least a decent band, and if they have any ambition of going out on tour, they should be perfectly capable of playing the songs right in one take and all together... and just in case, they may record each song twice or thrice, and in less than a day the album could be recorded. Of course, I'm not a musician and have no idea how the pressure goes on a studio, and I bet this point of view could be rather a result of being naive, but I don't see why a band shouldn't be able to do this. And I feel the final result would be more honest, at least.

If you're going for a "live in studio" album then yes, that's how they do it but normally, not even remotely.

Each instrument gets recorded separately (normally drums, bass, guitars, keyboards then vocals in that order) followed by overdubs with the intent being to get the best possible sound for each instrument. Setting up the instruments can take hours (drums especially) and musicians will re do parts constantly until they feel they've nailed it. And thats if everything goes well, not including re-writes of parts, adding new materiel, pedantic musicians who are never happy and the plethora of technical problems that can, and often do, go wrong.

Demo's tend to get knocked out after a single day in the studio, and there's a good reason why most of them and it's why most of them sound amateurish.   
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 21:05

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It was a very interesting interview, and I really like the way he is thinking. Actually, lately I have wondered why can't an album be recorded in much less time. I mean the band may take all the time they want/need writing, composing, and rehearsing the album/songs... and I do understand that if they take their time recording in by parts and doing the parts again as many times as necessary, and then pasting the better parts the album will in theory come out better. But in the end, if it's at least a decent band, and if they have any ambition of going out on tour, they should be perfectly capable of playing the songs right in one take and all together... and just in case, they may record each song twice or thrice, and in less than a day the album could be recorded. Of course, I'm not a musician and have no idea how the pressure goes on a studio, and I bet this point of view could be rather a result of being naive, but I don't see why a band shouldn't be able to do this. And I feel the final result would be more honest, at least.
If you're going for a "live in studio" album then yes, that's how they do it but normally, not even remotely. Each instrument gets recorded separately (normally drums, bass, guitars, keyboards then vocals in that order) followed by overdubs with the intent being to get the best possible sound for each instrument. Setting up the instruments can take hours (drums especially) and musicians will re do parts constantly until they feel they've nailed it. And thats if everything goes well, not including re-writes of parts, adding new materiel, pedantic musicians who are never happy and the plethora of technical problems that can, and often do, go wrong.Demo's tend to get knocked out after a single day in the studio, and there's a good reason why most of them and it's why most of them sound amateurish.   

Yeah, I believe I do understand the reasons studio albums are done the way they are, but I think the alternative would be interesting. Actually, I often like better the live versions of songs, and most of the time they don't sound amateur nor anything of the sort, while often they sound more organic and with more energy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 23:05
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

Bad news folks the album (and single) is delayed. The single will come on June 3rd and the album on August 26th.

http://loudwire.com/opeth-push-back-pale-communion-album-cusp-of-eternity-single-release-dates/

Lame...

Well, my parents will be visiting my wife and I during that week, so I hope they're down to listen to some Opeth. LOL
LefterisUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 05:13
www.untilrain.com
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 23:08
haven't been around in a while so not sure if it is ok to post youtube links but here is Cusp of Eternity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJjJgptNxs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 23:53
Not bad at all.

Oh, and here's the actual album cover.  I kind of liked the other one better...

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 00:58
The previous cover was based on a photography done by Lasse Hoile for Porcupine Tree's 'The Incident:

Still, I liked that version more. New artwork looks a bit plastic to me.

The song is very different to anything Opeth ever done before, some kind of prog Goth metal with jazzy influences and Rainbow-like melody. In some places it reminds me of 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' as well.
This night wounds time.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:36
^  Very modern artTongue

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 12:12
That artwork is atrocious.