Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDamn Animals with Pink Floyd is overrated!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

By and large, I don't consider lyrics all that important to appreciating the music.  

That's really sad.

For the longest time, and this helped bring up a Flora Purim, Gilly Smyth, and a Damo to a lot of music out there, and they were not the only ones, there was a VERY BIG MOVEMENT, in theater and film, that the voice, is also an "instrument".

I find it terribly sad, to see it all relegated to simply "lirics" in the rock'n'roll crap style, and not appreciated as a vehicle for another intstrument in the music.

This is the part that is the weakest in the PA when it comes to music and its history. In the end we do not care about inventive and different venues that brought out something else that was not there before.

But all we can think of is "lyrics" and Jane had a gun! Some "lyrics" come off stronger and more to the point and effective, and are better "acted" out, than sung, but we have lost the ability to tell the difference? Again, we have lost the ability to find and create new venues for communication, because we can only determine it by the "lyrics" that we like and understand?

Unhappy Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, bloody moan.

Do you always have to be so condescendingly negative all the time? Is it completely impossible for you to credit the people here with a fraction of your discernment and insight?

...and who is Jane?

And you are so bothered that you have to spend yor time commenting when someone says something you don't like?

You're just being no different than I, except that you are showing a more negative old side than I am. I'm merely stating that there were other events and ideas that helped bring the music forth but in your mind it's all a fudged up stick of Harry Potter's! 
I've never read a Hairy Pooter book and only sat through a couple of the films, they're not my cup of tea to be honest, but don't let that stop you attempting to belittle me, so please do continue.

You may have something insightful and interesting to say, but you cannot seem to find a way to say it that isn't patronising (as your reply adequately illustrates) and that weakens whatever you point you are trying to make. It is possible to make a point and make yourself look more erudite and informed without making denigrating remarks about the people here on the PA. From my experience the "people here" are incredibly knowledgeable, well read, well educated and have a far broader outlook and breadth of experience than you ever give them credit for.

...that said, who is Jane?
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 15:51
^ I think Jane is really Janey who appears in Janey Got A Gun by Aerosmith?, which Moshkito presents as some sort of nadir of how bad rock lyrics can get. Funny, as it's a very good song with intelligent, confrontational and thought provoking wurdz ya dig broConfused
sankalp1989 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 01:11
Gold 20 super hits- Bonny M- rasputin n rivers of babylon...
orchestra night - eric clapton - wonderful tonight.. are few f ma fav's..
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 08:04
Originally posted by sankalp1989 sankalp1989 wrote:

How did we get to Boney M from a discussion about Animals? Confused
cloudstr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 11:31
Everytime i look my neighbour's dog i remembered that neverplayed sh*tty song. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 11:36
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That "spam" I was talking about.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 00:27
Oops tht was a reply fo someone else
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 01:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Punks were just a tool to make more money for the labels and backers, the prog musicians were getting to be costly, because they wanted to do THEIR thing, rather than sell moron music to the masses....
The great rock an roll swindle INDEED!

I'm with you on this ole bean.

Punk was a lot of things and yes sometimes moronic, but to level the charge of populism at a genre that is characterised by aggression, confrontational dissent, anarchy, left wing agit-prop, raw and visceral textures, nihilism and a proactive DIY ethos certainly must qualify as plain vanilla moronicConfused

everyone wants their five minutes of fame. Are you saying that punk actually had integrity? Punk was shallow and about appearance (not just style wise but how something comes across) imo. It did produce some good bands that were far too good to be categorised as punk like the Stranglers for instance but it suited those bands to fall into line. Everyone does ultimately.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 03:52

Punks were just a tool to make more money for the labels and backers, the prog musicians were getting to be costly, because they wanted to do THEIR thing, rather than sell moron music to the masses....

Punk was a lot of things and yes sometimes moronic, but to level the charge of populism at a genre that is characterised by aggression, confrontational dissent, anarchy, left wing agit-prop, raw and visceral textures, nihilism and a proactive DIY ethos certainly must qualify as plain vanilla moronicConfused

everyone wants their five minutes of fame. Are you saying that punk actually had integrity? Punk was shallow and about appearance (not just style wise but how something comes across) imo. It did produce some good bands that were far too good to be categorised as punk like the Stranglers for instance but it suited those bands to fall into line. Everyone does ultimately.

Yes, I do think many of the original Punk bands had shed loads of integrity. It was, at least at the start, predominantly left wing, DIY, egalitarian, non conformist, proactive, agit prop, idealistic (the nihilism was maybe a US poison d'art?) Your post merely confirms a prejudice that confuses what we like with being something that is demonstrably good. (I'm guilty of this also, in every single review I've ever written, we all are from time to time) e.g..I like music X so it is too good to be called Punk because I don't like Punk and no music that I think is good could possibly be Punk so people who call it Punk are wrong. No-one can ever lose that argument as the goalposts are on wheels...Yes, I accept that every fly by night rock sensation has its share of poseurs and phoneys certainly (this High Street version of Punk that scandalised leafy suburbia was the one engineered by Malcolm Mclaren and Vivienne Westwood et al and has everything to do with the profiteering of ephemeral fashion and nothing whatsoever to do with a credible social revolution that remained strenuously underground before dissipating) My formative secondary school years were particularly fraught as I was the only critter who liked ELP/Genesis and the Clash/the Fall in equal measure, so was hated by both Hippies and Punks as being a sell outOuch I know I keep banging on about market branding but this is when the engineered brand loyalties foisted upon tribes of consumers first manifest itself in my book.
The biggest tragedy about Punk was that by the time it was assimilated into the mainstream, everyone looked absolutely the same, it was just another youth uniform etc

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 22 2014 at 04:19
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 11:38
NO Pink Floyd's album is overrated ! End of discussion !!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 14:58

Yes, I do think many of the original Punk bands had shed loads of integrity. It was, at least at the start, predominantly left wing, DIY, egalitarian, non conformist, proactive, agit prop, idealistic (the nihilism was maybe a US poison d'art?) Your post merely confirms a prejudice that confuses what we like with being something that is demonstrably good. (I'm guilty of this also, in every single review I've ever written, we all are from time to time) e.g..I like music X so it is too good to be called Punk because I don't like Punk and no music that I think is good could possibly be Punk so people who call it Punk are wrong. No-one can ever lose that argument as the goalposts are on wheels...Yes, I accept that every fly by night rock sensation has its share of poseurs and phoneys certainly (this High Street version of Punk that scandalised leafy suburbia was the one engineered by Malcolm Mclaren and Vivienne Westwood et al and has everything to do with the profiteering of ephemeral fashion and nothing whatsoever to do with a credible social revolution that remained strenuously underground before dissipating) My formative secondary school years were particularly fraught as I was the only critter who liked ELP/Genesis and the Clash/the Fall in equal measure, so was hated by both Hippies and Punks as being a sell outOuch I know I keep banging on about market branding but this is when the engineered brand loyalties foisted upon tribes of consumers first manifest itself in my book.
The biggest tragedy about Punk was that by the time it was assimilated into the mainstream, everyone looked absolutely the same, it was just another youth uniform etc

labels eh? I'm not actually as narrow minded as I sound (to be fair you made no accusation of this kind so thanks for that) but just very cynical. Not a good character trate but one I will take with me to my grave. Interesting comments and I did honestly like The Sex Pistols for one fleeting moment and can remember even defending them to my DadLOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

NO Pink Floyd's album is overrated ! End of discussion !!

Is that your 'final cut...'?
LOL

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 06:14
I think that we have hit "The Wall"....hohoho
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 06:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That "spam" I was talking about.
Guys Chill,, Instead of httin the Quote, i hit reply. that was supposed to be a reply fo someone.

Edited by sankalp1989 - April 23 2014 at 06:25
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 04:04
Animals seemed to me for a long time to be a somewhat lacklustre album, but it was (at least for me) a bit of slow burner. Sure it doesn't have the charisma of Darkside or Wish you were here - but it is a much more rewarding album than, dare I say it, The Wall..........
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 05:38
I don't think Animals is overrated at all. It is underrated if anything. I much prefer it to either The Wall or Wish You Were Here.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 05:46
hell i kinda still don't get the concept specifically that the album was going for (i do have an idea on it) but i still love it as it is my 3rd favorite album of theirs (behind Dark Side and WYWH of course respectively)
Progrockdude
LittleMilton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 09:41
and it's too late to lose the weight
you used to need to throw around

Funky Floyd!!!

progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 22:32
Of course I like just about all of the Floyd stuff, but Animals is up there near the top for me.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 08:59

Oh, look another spammer. Get out of here!
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>