Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour favorite Horrormovie?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 01:31
The last horror movie I saw that stuck with me was Pontypool.

Great suspense and a cool idea drives the plot forward at a decent pace.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 23:03
Dead of Night (1945)

Quote An architect senses impending doom as his half-remembered recurring dream turns into reality. The guests at the country house encourage him to stay as they take turns telling supernatural tales.

Also, ex-Yugoslavian film  Leptirica (1973), which is a less know but also a great horror film. It's a vampire story. Btw, the word "vampire" is the only one serbo-croatian word which is in common use around the globe.

Regarding Hollywood, my fav is Pet Sematary (1989)

Edited by Svetonio - April 13 2014 at 23:17
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 23:46
The Ring (US)

Nothing else has come remotely close to scaring me like this one...

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 02:51
Thanks Drew - nice to see someone admitting that occasionally a remake is superior to the original (the Japanese original was very good, but the US remake was better - sorry)

A lot of nods here to German expressionist cinema from the 1920ssszzzzzzz - pah! Good for its time, perhaps, but given the choice of seeing a 1920s 10 minute short against a well made modern chiller which pushes every button, I know which way my preference lies.

A couple more modern good'uns:

The Possession
Unborn

The above 2 will sink without trace, as do most movies these days, but I'd advise giving these 2 a look (Gary Oldman's performance in Unborn is worth it alone)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 07:59
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

A lot of nods here to German expressionist cinema from the 1920ssszzzzzzz - pah! Good for its time, perhaps, but given the choice of seeing a 1920s 10 minute short against a well made modern chiller which pushes every button, I know which way my preference lies.

Totally agree with you Jim.  Those old silent films are not as scary as much as they are atmospheric.  Good for projecting a gothic, impressionistic mood, but not much else.  Those old films have nothing on modern horror movies.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 10:53
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

Those old films have nothing on modern horror movies

Absolutely - modern film-makers have access to so much technology which assists in the atmospheric side. This is nothing to do with CGI, but lighting, makeup & especially sound all add up to enhance & genuinely scare the modern viewer when used correctly.

Of course, none of this means a thing if the story doesn't stack up or if the acting itself isn't up to scratch (and let's face it, no matter how inventive & innovative the silent horrors were, in the absence of sound, the acting had to be over the top & cheesier than a cheesy thing in a cheese shop).

[edit]

Incidentally, before the flak comes my way for having the audacity to criticise the classics, I'm not criticising them - I dare say they put the willies up audiences in their day, audiences who'd never seen a horror film. But my point is that's exactly the context in which they should be seen - good for their time but now...

Edited by Jim Garten - April 14 2014 at 11:22

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 21:23
^ Yes but by its very definition, a classic, a real one, will always be universally scary because it always was universally scary.   For example, The Birds by its nature will always resonate because it is simply people being catastrophically attacked by birds which, though ridiculous, is close to home and requires no modernities to work.   You couldn't really remake that film effectively because there's nothing to change or update, and birds and people still come into regular contact making it a plausible premise.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 21:40
The Omen part I with Peck........brrrrrrrrrrr
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 02:18
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

Those old films have nothing on modern horror movies

Absolutely - modern film-makers have access to so much technology which assists in the atmospheric side. This is nothing to do with CGI, but lighting, makeup & especially sound all add up to enhance & genuinely scare the modern viewer when used correctly.

Of course, none of this means a thing if the story doesn't stack up or if the acting itself isn't up to scratch (and let's face it, no matter how inventive & innovative the silent horrors were, in the absence of sound, the acting had to be over the top & cheesier than a cheesy thing in a cheese shop).

[edit]

Incidentally, before the flak comes my way for having the audacity to criticise the classics, I'm not criticising them - I dare say they put the willies up audiences in their day, audiences who'd never seen a horror film. But my point is that's exactly the context in which they should be seen - good for their time but now...
Then a film of a train coming into a station allegedly put the willies up the audience back in the day.

Fortunate then, that the Lumière brothers didn't film it entering a tunnel...

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 02:48
^ That is terrifying -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Whathefoxtrot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 11:08
To the people saying the American "Ring" movie is scarier than "Ringu", I disagree. The American version is far too glossy and pretty, while the Japanese version was grimier, more real. 

To the people saying that modern horror surpasses olden-day horror (I assume the Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff days in the 30s), I guess it's a matter of preference. Personally, I'll take The Wolfman, Dracula, and Frankenstein over any crappy modern day Exorcist rip off. 

To me, horror peaked in the late 80s-90s due to the fact that technology was at the peak to make horror real without relying on glossy effects (such as the American "Ring"). Now-a-days horror tries to relive these glory days with a found footage twist (popularized by Blair Witch, though it started eariler) . Examples include the V/H/S movies, Grave Encounters and of course Paranormal Activity. It seems with the less resources available, the more compensation has to be made, and that's where horror shines.    
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 14:52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Look_Now
Always liked this one...loads of atmosphere and an unusual storyline.
Dont look movieposter.jpg
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 02:24
Originally posted by Whathefoxtrot Whathefoxtrot wrote:

and of course Paranormal Activity. It seems with the less resources available, the more compensation has to be made, and that's where horror shine

I thought the Paranormal Activity series was one of those few franchises (?) which actually improved with each sequel; the second one in particular is brilliantly made

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 11:16
I watched "The Ninth Gate" for the third time. Just returning to a film can change perspective and but..my issue is the frustration I feel from the representation of witchcraft which is connected to the basis of a story/script, done perfectly, but later transforms into ridiculous scenes. Roman Polanski includes all the twists and turns, role model personalities of wealthy cult members and the duel personality changes within them. He seems to have personal knowledge of the so called secret society. It feels as if he may have experienced exposure to this world ..more so..than personal research into the subject matter. He gets everything exact for 75 percent of the movie. Then he lets you down with some ridiculous scenes. He did the same in Rosemary's Baby. Although in fact most horror related films about witchcraft hardly EVER touch upon the lifestyle/environment of a witch that is evident in the real world and mostly, only if you are exposed to the high society of it. Roman Polanski is one of the few directors who gets it right , but unfortunately has ridiculous endings. A film on witchcraft should be done in a more serious vain like "The Name Of The Rose".
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 11:26
Originally posted by Whathefoxtrot Whathefoxtrot wrote:

To the people saying the American "Ring" movie is scarier than "Ringu", I disagree. The American version is far too glossy and pretty, while the Japanese version was grimier, more real. 
To the people saying that modern horror surpasses olden-day horror (I assume the Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff days in the 30s), I guess it's a matter of preference. Personally, I'll take The Wolfman, Dracula, and Frankenstein over any crappy modern day Exorcist rip off. 
To me, horror peaked in the late 80s-90s due to the fact that technology was at the peak to make horror real without relying on glossy effects (such as the American "Ring"). Now-a-days horror tries to relive these glory days with a found footage twist (popularized by Blair Witch, though it started eariler) . Examples include the V/H/S movies, Grave Encounters and of course Paranormal Activity. It seems with the less resources available, the more compensation has to be made, and that's where horror shines.    

I do prefer the Japanese Ring, but I think the US version is very good. The atmosphere and horror still works! The Japanese version is just 'colder' and I like that.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 19:50
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I watched "The Ninth Gate" for the third time. Just returning to a film can change perspective and but..my issue is the frustration I feel from the representation of witchcraft which is connected to the basis of a story/script, done perfectly, but later transforms into ridiculous scenes. Roman Polanski includes all the twists and turns, role model personalities of wealthy cult members and the duel personality changes within them. He seems to have personal knowledge of the so called secret society. It feels as if he may have experienced exposure to this world ..more so..than personal research into the subject matter. He gets everything exact for 75 percent of the movie. Then he lets you down with some ridiculous scenes. He did the same in Rosemary's Baby. Although in fact most horror related films about witchcraft hardly EVER touch upon the lifestyle/environment of a witch that is evident in the real world and mostly, only if you are exposed to the high society of it. Roman Polanski is one of the few directors who gets it right , but unfortunately has ridiculous endings. A film on witchcraft should be done in a more serious vain like "The Name Of The Rose".
I liked the 9th Gate and have also watched it several times. I agree that the ending is a bit of a let down but I'm not sure how I would have ended it either. I enjoy atmospheric films like that concerning the occult.
BTW...the Name Of The Rose really has nothing to do with 'witchcraft'.
If you like Eco novels  I recommend Foucault's Pendulum.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The Devils (Ken Russell's take on the medieval witch hunts)

'Twas a superior movie, but I would count it more as a historical drama, despite of all the blood and gore inside.

Yeah probably, it's just that it pops up on many of those Best Horror Movie lists on the internet from time to time

I've always had a difficult time getting creeped out by Ken Russell films despite their frequently cool storylines as they tend to often morph into seeming LSD influenced lunacy at some (or many) points. 'The Devils' was one of his better ones, and I also enjoyed 'Altered States' a lot. 

Another good historical witch horror is 'Witchfinder General' from 1969. It's probably one of the only times Vincent Price played a role that oozed evil and menace without even remotely getting hammy. Quite violent too.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:42
Religulous, scares the crap out of me every time. Tongue  Ah the stupidity!!!

Depends on how broadly or narrowly you define whore or movie...

I like John Carpenters stuff.  Prince Of Darkness comes to mind.  Also Alien.  Nice sci-fi horror.

Also The Crawling Hand, but not in it's original form, this way -

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 16 2014 at 20:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:54
 ^ Alan Hale Jr showed up in quite a few bad horror/sci-fi flicks well into the '70s;  anyone remember The Giant Spider Invasion ?   Yeah didn't think so -

Edited by Atavachron - April 16 2014 at 20:57
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 21:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I liked the 9th Gate and have also watched it several times. I agree that the ending is a bit of a let down but I'm not sure how I would have ended it either. I enjoy atmospheric films like that concerning the occult.
BTW...the Name Of The Rose really has nothing to do with 'witchcraft'.
If you like Eco novels  I recommend Foucault's Pendulum.

I actually loved the Ninth Gate and have also watched it several times.  Films about the occult really appeal to me, and I have an interest in antiquarian books. 

It was based on Arturo Perez-Reverte's The Club Dumas, which I found worth reading. 

Foucalt's Pendulum was my favourite Eco read, by the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>