Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNth Ascension (UK): Neo Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nth Ascension (UK): Neo Prog
    Posted: April 11 2014 at 21:13
Just discovered this band, who featured at last year's Electric Garden Prog Festival at  Uncle Tom's Cabin, Blackpool, North West UK: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91897.

Nth Ascension - Frequencies Of Day And Night (CD 2011, 56:05, On Your Knees Records)
1. The Prize (4:45)
2. Out Of The Fire (8:26)
3. Running To Nowhere (3:44)
4. Sound To Light (12:58)
5. Return Of The King (3:33)
6. The Cage (16:42)
7. A.I. (Ghosts In The Machine) (5:55)

Total Time 56:05

"Nth Ascension are a progressive art rock band from the north-western part of England that started in January 2010. In the past all of the musicians had played in various bands, but they were also good friends. As they all loved prog rock they decided to write and play together just for the love of music, but without a certain goal except for an occasional gig and the possible recording of a demo. Well, both things did happen! They recorded a six-track demo called Frequencies Of Day And Night that was for sale at the band during performances. The demo became rather popular within the prog community, so things have just gone 'above and beyond' anything they expected. I got a tip to check out this demo which resulted in a promo sent by the band.

Let me first introduce you to the band members of Nth Ascension: Michael Taylor(vocals, bass), Craig Walker (drums, percussion), Martin Walker (guitars) and Darrel Treece-Birch (keyboards), who is also the keyboard player for Ten. It's easy to hear that Frequencies Of Day And Night is a demo recording. However, the music is just that good that I got hardly any negative feelings while listening to the songs that can be regarded best as neo-progressive rock. It's also easy to mention all the bands that inspired Nth Ascension, since the influences of early Marillion (Fish- era), IQ, Pallas and Arena are evident. Also Rush has to be mentioned thanks to the many excellent guitar parts, and I noticed a strong resemblance with the British band Grey Lady Down (GLD).

Strangely enough other reviewers didn't mention GLD at all. Apart from the musical similarity most vocal lines sung by Michael Taylor resemble those of Martin Wilson on the albums he made with GLD. Just like Wilson, Taylor isn't a great singer but it will do for the moment. However, if I compare his contributions to this album to the efforts of the other musicians then his singing is the weakest link, but fortunately it doesn't affect the high level of the compositions. The guitar and keyboard solos are just brilliant, so I can live with the mediocre vocals. Actually I couldn't find any weak track on this record, which is probably the reason why many people from all over the world applied for it.

At the moment Nth Ascension are looking for a record deal to release their second album that musically will be very powerful. I hope the successor of Frequencies Of Day And Night will be as good as this solid debut that will be enjoyed by many people who love neo-progressive rock. If they succeed in improving the vocals, and they're able to record the follow-up in a professional studio, I'm sure the future will look bright for Nth Ascension. Well done, indeed!"

Henri Strik (edited by Peter Willemsen)

And indeed, Nth Ascension are proud to announce that they are now signed to Sonic Vista Records and the new album will be released through the label.

http://nthascension.aurovine.com/album/frequencies-of-day-and-night (listen to or download the full digital album in your choice of WAV, FLAC or MP3)  Cool  Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - April 11 2014 at 21:15
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 02:38
good album, neo is quite ok
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 08:23
Sounds like a very good candidate for Neo indeedThumbs Up

I'll swing em by the boys.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 17:56
First 'yes' vote is in, and y'all can follow the progress of the evaluation here: http://progfreak.com/Nth-Ascension-158871.html?path=pa/recent. Smile
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 02:40
Two yes votes and one step from clearance, thanks for bringing up the group, David.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:32
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:03
Good work team Neo! Approve  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply