Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeam-Light (Poland): Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beam-Light (Poland): Crossover Prog
    Posted: April 11 2014 at 23:13
This band are already cleared in Crossover after team member Thomas brought to my attention the fact that they weren't in the archives a few weeks ago, so this thread is just for information purposes. Embarrassed

Beam-Light was a Polish duo consisting of the talented and highly versatile artist Aleksandra Dudziak and drummer Wojciech Sochaczewski. The line-up was completed by the highly regarded session musicians Gerard Niemczyk (a drummer who here also plays guitar), bassist Mateusz Cudzich, and saxophonist Marek Batorski.

As a young artist Aleksandra started her career atypically, graduating in architecture and interior design at the Academy of Fine Arts specializing in artistic blacksmithing techniques. Her interests ranged far beyond the creation of steel sculptures though, and she became a member of the Association of Polish Artists and Designers, with skills not only as a visual artist, but also as a singer and multi-instrumentalist. Playing keyboards and flute, and with a voice often compared to the likes of Kate Bush and Sinead 'O Connor, she received a diploma of the Summer Jazz Academy, and was the founder of a band called Alchemists before moving on to Beam-Light.

The band existed for around five years, and its music was played extensively on Kraków Radio and other Polish radio stations. Aleksandra Dudziak wrote both the music and lyrics of all songs - she even created the album artwork - and won awards at many music festivals as a solo artist, as well as touring extensively with Beam-Light. Their sole self-titled album was released in 2008 by Lynx Music, a Polish label owned by Millenium's keyboard player Ryszard Kramarski.

Aleksandra has performed alongside such stars as Michael Bajor, Elizabeth Towarnicka, Andrew Sikorowski, Wojciech Groborz, Anthony Krupa and the band Old Metropolitan Band - and the poular Polish band Hipgnosis (http://www.hipgnosis.pl/, who themselves have been struggling for some years now to find a place in the archives) invited her to perform at the fourth ProgGnozy concert (held on Saturday 12th May 2012 at Club Zaścianek in Kraków, Poland).

Not much has been written about the band really, and almost all of it is in Polish. The following links all discuss the Beam-Light album (and its main creator Aleksandra Dudziak) to a greater or lesser extent.

Beam-Light Beam-Light (2008) Lynx Music LM 43 CD

1. Asking For The Promised Land  (6:53)
2. Other Side Of The Mirror  (3:39)
3. The Message  (4:23)
4. Holy Cows  (3:25)
5. Set Sebu Sa  (3:07)
6. Belly World  (4:14)
7. Icy Eyes  (4:02)
8. Drunk Thoughts  (3:44)
9. Waiting For  (4:02)
10. Past The Door  (5:04)
11. Fay Away  (7:28)

Total Time 50:01

- Aleksandra Dudziak / producer, keyboards, vocals, whistles
- Wojciech Sochaczewski / drums (conga-cajons)

Guest musicians:
- Marek Batorski / saxophone
- Mateusz Cudzich / bass
- Gerard Niemczyk / electric guitar, percussion

Lyrics & music by Aleksandra Dudziak
Recorded & mixed by Ryszard Kramarski
Mastered by Pawel Hebda
Produced by Ryszard Kramarski & Aleksandra Dudziak
Graphic design & photos by Aleksandra Dudziak

First and last tracks off the album:

Interview with Aleksandra in Polish (which might contain more info about the band for anyone who can undestand what is being discussed here - as a thoroughbred 'yam yam' from deep in Aynuk 'n Ayli land, I have enough trouble understanding The Queen's English - never mind Polish!!):

The old Beam-Light website link shown in this clip has one capture on the Wayback Machine, but it generates an error to the effect that it needs ac_runactivecontent.js to display its content. Doubtless some of our more computer-savvy boffins will know how to circumvent this problem, but sadly I don't. Cry

Edited by yam yam - April 12 2014 at 14:13
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 10:23
^ Sorry, yam yam! They are not discussing music in that interview but rather talking about her belief in the Creator and her engagement in the pro-life movement (she has anti-abortionist, anti-euthanasia and anti-contraception views). And it's done for a Polish catholic-nationalist website (and, as a curiosity, even the joutnalist's surname corresponds with it: "Papież" means "the Pope"!).

BTW, for me the band's website doesn't work at all too. It says the server could not be found.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 12:46
^  Thanks for clearing that up for us Bartek. When I saw the old Beam-Light website link pop up early on in the clip I just assumed they were talking about her musical achievements. Never mind - it has at least revealed yet another aspect of this quite remarkable lady's life!  Embarrassed
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 21:21
You have no idea how much trouble we've been going through trying to beta  bio on these guys so that we could add them, then I found this new thread by accident!!

Both myself and Thomas have contacted the label, I have had Artur of MLWZ contact her directly, and still nothing! I know that Thomas was going to use what he had to add them today so I have sent him this link!

Thanks!!!! Now if you have any information on the Spanish band Seed (who I added yesterday) then I would be your friend forever as getting  a bio for them was impossible.......  Big smile
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 02:54
You guys are amazing! Handshake   I will start work on this ASAP, thanks to all this info, I am sure i can build something effective. My review is half done, which means the hard part is over. Beam-Light is a rare little jewel that has a preciousness about it that is difficult to describe but highly enjoyable. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 03:59
Hey! I can always help with a translation! Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 05:51
Originally posted by kev rowland kev rowland wrote:

Thanks!!!! Now if you have any information on the Spanish band Seed (who I added yesterday) then I would be your friend forever as getting  a bio for them was impossible.......  Big smile

Quite a bit can be pieced together from the sites of the two main protagonists Javi and Ander - not specifically relating to the band Seed itself, but certainly cataloging what happened to these two fellows after the project folded. They were actually very young when they created Seed, and changed musical direction considerably as they matured (Ander García in particular was involved in quite a few projects over the years). I'm working nights for a few days and need to get some shut-eye during daylight hours, but later on in the week I'll throw something together which might well suffice for you.  Smile
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 12:35
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hey Tuz! Ya mean like this "Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki."

LOLWinkHandshake

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 13:04
BEAM-LIGHT added! Try to get this, guys, Greg Walker can help! Thank you all ! 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 13:19
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hey Tuz! Ya mean like this "Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki."

LOLWinkHandshake

Igen! Lengyel, Magyar – két jó barát, együtt harcol, s issza borát. Wink

Charles Bukowski
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 13:45
Could not have said it better! Cool
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

BEAM-LIGHT added! Try to get this, guys, Greg Walker can help! Thank you all ! 

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8819 - great review Thomas! And Yeah, Greg Walker lists the CD for 16 bucks at his synphonic.8m.com site: http://synphonic.8m.com/country/poland.htmThumbs Up
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 16:02
BTW, Thomas, you might like this one as well, I think:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8530

http://seavine.bandcamp.com

Also very nice female vocals. Smile

Charles Bukowski
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 16:52
Thanks , firestorm! Just listened to Sea Vine, very nice indeed, my style of prog.  Ordered it from Syn-Phonic. 

Female vocals rule (The new Panic Room? Yummy!) 
 Post Reply Post Reply