Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe official ProgArchives comic book thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 05:30
Time to resurrect this very thread again!

Right now I'm re-reading Daniel Clowes' Ghost World, which I think I "get" much more than first time. Maybe it helps that I'm now more familiar with the entire 1980s/early-1990s indie rock culture whose frame of reference and overall attitude the whole thing reflects. I mean, the very first page has one of the protagonists complain about normal people listening to Sonic Youth.

Also probably doesn't hurt that I right now know a lot of women who probably were exactly like Enid and Rebecca back in high school.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 09:48
Just finished this.....might read some more by Dark Horse along these lines.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 11:17
Eläkeläinen muistelee!
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 18:15
I was at my sister's for Thanksgiving, and she showed me a scrapbook that our mom had kept when she was a young girl.
Some odd and interesting things in there, nothing great. But then I flipped to a page with a medium-sized envelope taped to it.
Inside was the 1945 version of the Junior Justice Society of America membership package. Big smile It was an awesome find! Never knew Mom read comics when she was a kid.

It was designed originally in 1942, as all things were, to draw support for the war effort. There was a full-color membership certificate with images of all the great superheroes of the time, signed by Wonder Woman, a welcome letter also signed by WW, a few pamphlets about how to help the war effort at home and school, a fabric patch, a lithographed 4-page comic on the history of the Minutemen, and, BEST of all, a JJSOA Secret Decoder Disk! Thumbs Up You set it on the backside to whatever particular superhero they tell you for a specific message, and then you use the legend to decipher whatever silly messages they included in the comics. For all of you familiar with the movie "A Christmas Story" I'm sure the messages were not a great deal different from Ralphie's eagerly awaited one from Little Orphan Annie, reminding him to drink his Ovaltine. LOL

But it was a fun find, and apparently pretty sought after by comic collectors. I plan to put it in a shadowbox or other type of display to hang in my own geek room where I keep my toys and other collections.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 20:09
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I've been an off & on collector since childhood, still love that slightly musty newsprint smell of older comix, though nowadays "comic book shops" are about as common as "head shops" and have gone the way of the b&m record store.   I tended toward the more mysterious; The Spirit, Detective Comics, and then the 80s/90s new era with Matt Wagner, Miller, Mazzucchelli, Gaiman, etc.

That’s kind of funny, considering that the comics shop in the local mall just expanded and seems to be doing pretty decent business.

Lately I’ve been catching up on heavily-discounted editions of the classic stuff (Marvel Masterworks), and some more contemporary as well, like Peter David’s X-Factor.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 10:01
Finished re-reading Ghost World and I gotta say that right now it finally "clicked". Again, it probably helps that I'm more familiar with the entire subculture it came from than when I read it first time.

The film is also alleged to be significantly different, to the point some people prefer it?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 03:43
Right now I'm currently in the process of reading Edena's World by the late Jean "Moebius" Giraud, which apparently started out as a commission by Citroën as an extended advertisement but eventually turned into his own re-writing of Genesis... in the process also spelling out his opinions on humanity's relation to technology, proper nutrition and gender roles.

It looks like Edena's World is not as famous as neither The Incal or The Hermetic Garage, perhaps because it started with a collaboration with an automobile manufacturer rather than Alejandro Jodorowsky or Michael Moorcock, but I find it just as interesting philosophically as well as being one of Moebius' most visually inventive works.

As a matter of fact, it might be more subversive because, as I said, it started out as a car commercial... but then quickly turned into perhaps Moebius' most critical work regarding the entire project of modern civilization. (if one that I don't think fits easily into ideological boxes so far)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12