FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI'm Bummed Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm Bummed Out
    Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:07
Dam i'm missing the hell out out vinyl record collection.I probaly have 500 or so LPs.Since my home is for sale & the realtors can show it anytime i'm not here i got paranoid and moved my entire record collection to my brothers house for safe keeping.I'd be ready to kill if some bozo helped himself to some of my prized records while the realtors head was turned.Lucking i have tons of CD's to listen too,but i need to spin vinyl from time to time.All my BOC is on vinyl and i'm really needing to hear Veteran Of The Psychic Wars.Guess i could youtube it but it's not the same....I think i'm having vinyl withdrawl syndrome.Maybe i'll survive but it's tuff not being able to spin some vinyl

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - April 18 2014 at 12:08
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:21
I sometimes regret bringing my vinyl collection to a party a long time ago and just letting people take what they want.  It was fun to give casual music fans a chance to discover some new music, and I didn't expect to need them anymore with my growing CD collection.  But I do miss the format, especially the anticipation of shopping for albums at the record store and then seeing the artwork when you opened them. 

I miss the days when you couldn't listen to stuff online before you bought.  Yeah, sampling is cost effective and I get that.  But the hunt and the risk of blind music shopping at stores as a social experience was fun too....you'd each buy an album and then go play them together over beers as the night turned into next day.  Basement turntables, ashtrays, and deep discussions about society....lol.  

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:30
I hear ya,really miss browsing the record stores back in the day.Reminds me of something else from back in the day.I'm sure many on here did this as well.My friends and i would loan each other albums so we could each make cassette copies,since none of us really had much money to buy albums in the late 70's & early 80's.So when one of us was able to get a desirable LP,each would take his turn borrowing it & making cassette copies-good ole' days indeed.I've spent whole weekends just making cassettes of "greatest hits"-sure many here have did the same.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:30
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

.... i'm really needing to hear Veteran Of The Psychic Wars....
I totally get that. It's just one of those songs I can't go without for too long.

Anytime you move or sell your house, there's a topsy-turvy period where you're never really fully in your element.  Just take solace that it's a temporary situation.

I've seen some songs uploaded to Youtube, where the video part is just footage of the record playing.  Maybe you can just stare at that really hard and pretend you're listening to your vinyl.

I couldn't find "Psychic Wars", but here's "Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl)" fo ya:

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:31
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I miss the days when you couldn't listen to stuff online before you bought.  Yeah, sampling is cost effective and I get that.  But the hunt and the risk of blind music shopping at stores as a social experience was fun too....you'd each buy an album and then go play them together over beers as the night turned into next day.  Basement turntables, ashtrays, and deep discussions about society....lol.  
Even now, I rarely sample stuff before I buy, for the same reasons.  Sure, I make mistakes and buy crappy stuff, but it's worth it.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:46
Yep.  I make some mistakes too but that's part of the fun of being a music fan.  If you buy something you don't like, give it to a friend.  Or sell it.  We were always trading albums with each other. 

And Jeff yeah, we used to make mix-cassettes of our faves too....for the car stereo!

Edited by Finnforest - April 18 2014 at 12:47

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 13:37
...if you've no further use for them...
heat

mould and form

allow to cool

et viola!
yum... 
What?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 13:43
^ ima do that with all my Genesis
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 13:49
^ you could just loan them to a friend who will accidentally leave them on the back seat of his car on a hot day.

(true story Ouch)
What?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 14:21
I actually do have a chip bowl that's either made out of an old Joe Walsh record, or was made to look like it was.  People are always hesitant to eat out if, however.  Which I don't understand... Joe Walsh had some good songs.

-Kehlog Albran
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 20:27
I grew up on LPs and 45 singles.  The only thing I really miss about them is the LP album cover format.  In 2009 this house was flooded out and most of the albums I had replaced with CD had their covers ruined. Fortunately I had my prized ones on higher shelves, but there were still a few casualties on the lower shelves that weren't on the upper levels.  Hope that tale makes you feel a little better.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:18
I hardly have any vinyl left. My prized lp of Helmut Koellen's You Won't See Me is badly warped, I kept it in a closet that got too damp.AngryLuckily, I have a transfer to CD copy.

Got a vinyl of Giger, Lenz and Marron's album Beyond recently. Yeeha! But I don't have a turntable, so can't play it.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 18:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...if you've no further use for them...
heat

mould and form

allow to cool

et viola!
yum... 

Put a taco salad in that and eat the shell. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 19:01
Personally i'd rather eat another type of taco.....that definitely has a taster shell.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 09:47
Never owned a record player
 Post Reply Post Reply