Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Song that Screams Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 20:15
Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1 & 2 screams prog.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 20:43
My definition of "screaming prog" - if I would feel a bit hesitant to play it for a girl I didn't know too well on a first date, it is probably screaming prog.

ex. Fountain of Salmacis, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, The Cinema Show, The Musical Box (all Genesis). BTW - I think Supper's Ready is overrated :)  All great, classic songs, but maybe I'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd date...

Happy the Man screams prog (ex. Upon the Rainbow) and Gentle Giant

Neither KC nor Pink Floyd scream prog to me. Great music, but "scream" means, like, totally in your face, undiluted, unabashed, and just a wee bit nuts. 

I would probably not play "Squirrel" by Anthony Phillips to a girl on a first date either.

But now - I don't think the poster was asking for favorites necessarily - just prog that screams prog. For me, whether it screams or not is not as important as other factors. 

aldri7

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 20:50
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

BTW - I think Supper's Ready is overrated

I don't think Supper's Ready is overrated at all. If anything, the direction Genesis took after Hackett left is what should be counted as overrated. I do like some of ...And Then There Were Three and even Duke, but it always felt like when Hackett left he took the soul of the band with him.

Edited by Mirror Image - April 22 2014 at 20:50
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 21:09
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I don't think Supper's Ready is overrated at all. If anything, the direction Genesis took after Hackett left is what should be counted as overrated. I do like some of ...And Then There Were Three and even Duke, but it always felt like when Hackett left he took the soul of the band with him.

I know there is disagreement on my opinion. I think the opening five minutes of "Supper's Ready" is a masterpiece of prog. But I've never felt that the remaining 17 minutes hold up all that well.

aldri7
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 21:37
Believe it or not, probably "Benedictus" by Strawbs in late 1974.  It was different from anything on the pop charts I'd been listening to.  I didn't know what to make of it - accessible but too reverent to be ordinary pop or rock.  After that, probably In the Court of the Crimson King, since I still remember first hearing it and having my brother identify it for me.  This was pure adventure, like a scary movie (which I was into) in musical form  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:07

I know there is disagreement on my opinion. I think the opening five minutes of "Supper's Ready" is a masterpiece of prog. But I've never felt that the remaining 17 minutes hold up all that well.

aldri7

Apocalypse In 9/8 was brilliant, but, oh well, you're certainly in the minority with this opinion.
abacab2123 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:12
I couldn't have gone straight to Prog.  Had to go there in small steps. In a rather roundabout way...

Early Beatles leads to Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.
LITSWD....leads to the Tommy Overture.
Tommy leads to ELP and love for keyboards...but I wouldn't have considered anything up to that point Prog.  Symphonic rock perhaps. 

...and then then, in an act repeated by so many college roommates, mine introduced me to a gateway drug: Dance on a Volcano.   1,1 2,2 1,1 2,2 1,1 2,2 1,2,3,4!!!!

And that lead to Supper's Ready......then and only then, did I know I was fully in the jaws of Prog.....and the monkey has been on my back ever since.....

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:34

aldri7

Apocalypse In 9/8 was brilliant, but, oh well, you're certainly in the minority with this opinion.

I got to thinking why I have this opinion. I became acquainted with Genesis in somewhat reverse order, and didn't listen to Foxtrot until well after I had heard the other albums. And so when I first heard Supper's Ready, I felt like much of it I had already heard before. That it was derivative in other words. But of course, "derivative" depends on the chronology of your listening.

NIce meter there, but I would still probably have to reprogram my brain before changing my opinion..:)

aldri7

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:49

I got to thinking why I have this opinion. I became acquainted with Genesis in somewhat reverse order, and didn't listen to Foxtrot until well after I had heard the other albums. And so when I first heard Supper's Ready, I felt like much of it I had already heard before. That it was derivative in other words. But of course, "derivative" depends on the chronology of your listening.

NIce meter there, but I would still probably have to reprogram my brain before changing my opinion..:)

aldri7

One thing to keep in mind when you listen to Foxtrot is the year it was recorded: 1972. This was an outstanding album for that year and I think it still holds up well because of the solid musicianship, craftsmanship, the emotional directness, and just for offering the listener a plethora of sounds and styles while still retaining those now, and often imitated, Genesis trademarks. This is a band that, while having some incredibly gifted musicians, was more interested in writing songs. Some of them were short, some of them were long, but nobody has come close to matching this band's ingenuity for me. Granted, I love Pink Floyd and Yes a lot as well, but Genesis will always be my ultimate prog band. 

Edited by Mirror Image - April 22 2014 at 22:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:55
Another song that just screams prog to me: The Gates of Delirium by Yes.
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 23:50

aldri7

One thing to keep in mind when you listen to Foxtrot is the year it was recorded: 1972. This was an outstanding album for that year and I think it still holds up well because of the solid musicianship, craftsmanship, the emotional directness, and just for offering the listener a plethora of sounds and styles while still retaining those now, and often imitated, Genesis trademarks. This is a band that, while having some incredibly gifted musicians, was more interested in writing songs. Some of them were short, some of them were long, but nobody has come close to matching this band's ingenuity for me. Granted, I love Pink Floyd and Yes a lot as well, but Genesis will always be my ultimate prog band. 

getting off topic a bit here - sorry - I'll try to wrap it up...

I got to thinking about posing this question in the forum - at one point (exactly where in a particular song or album) did the words "genius" or "musical genius" first cross your lips while listening to a particular band that you now love for the first time. This point BTW is often accompanied by the first appearance of goose bumps to the flesh...

Since Nursery Cryme was my first Genesis album, I have to look to that album to find that particular point. It occured in perhaps an unlikely spot - during the song "Harold the Barrel" (not otherwise one of my favorite tunes on that album). But I think the goose bumps and the words "genius" first crossed my lips when Gabriel interjected mid song with the slow passage  "If I was many miles from here..."  It was so unexpected and so beautiful that from then on, I was totally hooked. 

Maybe one could come up with a name to describe that point when you become totally hooked and declare that what you have just heard/experienced is the work of a genius. 

aldri7

Edited by aldri7 - April 22 2014 at 23:54
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 23:53
Tom Sawyer by Rush
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 00:19

getting off topic a bit here - sorry - I'll try to wrap it up...

I got to thinking about posing this question in the forum - at one point (exactly where in a particular song or album) did the words "genius" or "musical genius" first cross your lips while listening to a particular band that you now love for the first time. This point BTW is often accompanied by the first appearance of goose bumps to the flesh...

Since Nursery Cryme was my first Genesis album, I have to look to that album to find that particular point. It occured in perhaps an unlikely spot - during the song "Harold the Barrel" (not otherwise one of my favorite tunes on that album). But I think the goose bumps and the words "genius" first crossed my lips when Gabriel interjected mid song with the slow passage  "If I was many miles from here..."  It was so unexpected and so beautiful that from then on, I was totally hooked. 

Maybe one could come up with a name to describe that point when you become totally hooked and declare that what you have just heard/experienced is the work of a genius. 

aldri7

Thanks for this memory. I'll be honest with you and say I couldn't even remember the first time I got goosebumps and thought 'genius' when I first heard Genesis. The reason I can't remember is because there are an inordinate amount of times that this has happened. One of my recent 'wow moments'  came from the song The Colony of Slippermen from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I don't think I've ever paid much attention to this song (for whatever reason) and it just hit me a few days ago. I've had many moments like this whilst listening to The Lamb because there's just so much music there and this album just took quite some time for it start sinking in, but when it did, it did in a huge way. Since you mention Nursery Cryme (a personal favorite of mine), I have fallen for Harlequin quite recently (thanks in large part to the excellent remix done by Nick Davis as Nursery Cryme has always had lower production values), but this is another piece where I just never really thought too much about it, but it just hit in a beautiful way. It's only 2 and half minutes long or so, but it seems to get completely under my skin and crawl into my heart. Normally, these kinds of Genesis songs don't do much for me, but I've been noticing how I've grown fond of them all of these years later. They'll never be what The Musical Box is for me for example, but it's nice to experience this different side of the band.  

Edited by Mirror Image - April 23 2014 at 00:21
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 02:50
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 03:05
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Steely Dan's Haitian Divorce screams prog...?  Seriously...?

LOL

I thought that was very odd too. He made a better call with Aja which is one of the only properly prog SD songs. But still, I wouldn't say that even screams prog.

This one also is to scream prog to me. 

Oh, I had forgotten that the Steely Dan was not  a part of British progressive rock  movement (scene) Wacko
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 05:52

Dreaming of all the big things, 
But can't you see it,
You have to be asleep to believe it,
Feeling, feeling so small,
Looking at stars,
Waiting for them to fall

If you had one moment,
Moment to love, moment to breathe,
How would you live it?
See the world,
Drown in the sea of tears,
Feel the pain,
Caused by the deepest fears,
If you had one moment,
moment to bleed, moment to give,
how would you live it?

Stay alive, in black and white,
But try to feel the light,
Seeing colors feeding your eyesight,
Get out, join the life,
Don't try to hide inside,
Dark side of your restless mind "
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 06:02
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Good call!

For me - the first time my future brother in law played me Genesis Live in the mid 1970's; Watcher Of The Skies...

...you just knew you were listening to something special!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 11:37
In the Court Of the Crimson KIng gave me that impression. Gypsy by The Moody Blues and Music From the Body by Roger Waters and Ron Geesin.....and plenty of Ron Geesin right through and beyond that. People today don't seem to have much apathy for that kind of music

Edited by TODDLER - April 23 2014 at 11:38
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 12:17
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 17:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Believe it or not, probably "Benedictus" by Strawbs in late 1974.  It was different from anything on the pop charts I'd been listening to.  I didn't know what to make of it - accessible but too reverent to be ordinary pop or rock.  

What an inspired choice. Benedictus is indeed one of the most inspirational prog tracks ever, but it was actually released well before 1974 - 1971 as a single, I think, though Grave New World was released in 1972.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>