Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Song that Screams Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 20:29
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Believe it or not, probably "Benedictus" by Strawbs in late 1974.  It was different from anything on the pop charts I'd been listening to.  I didn't know what to make of it - accessible but too reverent to be ordinary pop or rock.  

What an inspired choice. Benedictus is indeed one of the most inspirational prog tracks ever, but it was actually released well before 1974 - 1971 as a single, I think, though Grave New World was released in 1972.

thanks much.  Yes it was from an earlier time but I didn't discover it till 1974, when  few months earlier I had been content wityh Paul Anka's "Having my Baby"!  Big changes  Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 20:34
Anything with Mike Patton and John Zorn... Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 21:11
Steve Hackett's The Shadow of the Hierophant.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 22:39

This is a progressive rock band from the former Yugoslavia, formed 1971 in Zagreb

After leaving the KORNI GRUPA, the singer and bass & acoustic guitar player Dado Topić, together with the producer Vladimir Mihaljek,  formed a band callled TIMEThe debut full-lenght album was released 1972. In 1975, the band relesaed Time IIand Life In A Boot With A High Heel in 1976. 
After countless gigs and a number of participations at various festivals in 70s Yugoslavia, Dado Topić dismissed TIME in 1977.

This is the song Divlje Guske (engl. "Wild Geese") from their second album and my favourite song by TIME.

KORNI GRUPA's Prvo svetlo u kući broj 4 ( engl. "First light in house No.4"). Above video is studio version of the song actually, so that live footage is a decor.

Also known as the Kornelyans and formed in 1968, Belgrade's KORNI GRUPA was one of the first Yugoslav progressive rock bands, and also the first "supergroup" in Tito's Yugoslavia.

Edited by Svetonio - April 23 2014 at 23:58
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 05:45
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Oh, I had forgotten that the Steely Dan was not  a part of British progressive rock  movement (scene) Wacko

That's got nothing to do with it.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 06:10
^ Steely Dan are in Prog Archives. So, at this site SD are prog without a question. Is SD's song(s) screaming proggy? That's actually a subjective thing. Consenquently, here's West of Hollywood as proggy "scream" as well.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 06:32
^ Whatever floats ya boat. To me, very little of their stuff comes off as prog.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:41
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Jazzrock is also prog. Do you know this one:

Well, if this is not proggy screaming track, then I confess to almighty Prog Gods that I don't know what prog is.

Edited by Svetonio - April 24 2014 at 10:42
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:08
Correct they don't sound like Prog. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Correct they don't sound like Prog. 

Are you almighty Prog God? Oh,  I confess my sins regarding jazzrock.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:42
I'm glad you've realized your error. 

I'm sorry but to think that West of Hollywood screams prog is just simply wrong, Sounds like typical blues in a muzak style. Nothing about that song is progressive, let alone prog. 
Regardless of SD being on this site, their music doesn't evoke prog, and just because they're on here doesn't mean i'm wrong. I could post a Solo Robert Plant song or maybe some material from Hazards Of Love, but they still wouldn't make sense for this thread. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm glad you've realized your error. 

I'm sorry but to think that West of Hollywood screams prog is just simply wrong, Sounds like typical blues in a muzak style. Nothing about that song is progressive, let alone prog. 
Regardless of SD being on this site, their music doesn't evoke prog, and just because they're on here doesn't mean i'm wrong. I could post a Solo Robert Plant song or maybe some material from Hazards Of Love, but they still wouldn't make sense for this thread. 

LOL I'm an atheist actually who don't believe in Prog Gods. So Jazzrock is screaming proggy extremly well to me.

Edited by Svetonio - April 24 2014 at 12:12
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:46

Well, if this is not proggy screaming track, then I confess to almighty Prog Gods that I don't know what prog is.

If this screams prog, then maybe its  atonality that you are confusing with or using to define prog?

Not to sound like a screaming Prog God, which I confess to not being, but I think you have some listening to do. Consider the bands that are considered here to be the most authentically prog bands - Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Echolyn, Gentle Giant, etc. Listen to them. Now listen to that track you posted again..

I love jazzrock, but its kinda funny as I am reading this thread how little so many people's idea of what is screaming prog resembles my idea. I would expect this somewhat, but I'll try to remember this the next time i am in a group of people and I try to tell them how much I like prog. The resulting aural images that they conjure up, and the way they that contort their faces in response to what I have just said - well, I cannot have any control over that..:(

My sister once tried to describe to me what to her was this awful music that she heard once in an office. She was actually describing jazzrock, or fusion, but her description was hilarious. Anyway, prog is similarly something you can't really describe in words, you can only listen to it and compare.  But thats what so great about the internet and prgarchives.com - ANYONE can now become a Prog God if they have a little time on their hands!!

aldri7

Edited by aldri7 - April 24 2014 at 13:08
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 13:12
Woot woot - a bit of Svetonio confusion again!!

Ermm
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 13:16
I think someone is confusing tracks that he loves with tracks that best represent Prog. 
Personally I'd go for something like Fracture by KC or maybe this one by Le Orme:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 13:23
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

If this screams prog, then maybe its  atonality that you are confusing with or using to define prog?

Not to sound like a screaming Prog God, which I confess to not being, but I think you have some listening to do. Consider the bands that are considered here to be the most authentically prog bands - Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Echolyn, Gentle Giant, etc. Listen to them. Now listen to that track you posted again..

I love jazzrock, but its kinda funny as I am reading this thread how little so many people's idea of what is screaming prog resembles my idea. I would expect this somewhat, but I'll try to remember this the next time i am in a group of people and I try to tell them how much I like prog. The resulting aural images that they conjure up, and the way they that contort their faces in response to what I have just said - well, I cannot have any control over that..:(

My sister once tried to describe to me what to her was this awful music that she heard once in an office. She was actually describing jazzrock, or fusion, but her description was hilarious. Anyway, prog is similarly something you can't really describe in words, you can only listen to it and compare.  But thats what so great about the internet and prgarchives.com - ANYONE can now become a Prog God if they have a little time on their hands!!

aldri7

Quote Line-up / Musicians

Colin Hodgkinson - Basses, Guitars, Vocals
Ron Aspery - Sax, E-Piano, Piano, Organ, Mellotron
Adrian Tilbrook - Drums, Percussion
Produced by Carl Palmer

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5095#discography

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 13:32
As always you completely fail to understand what is being saidConfused

So this is 'the song that screams prog'.........by association? Wow....

- Douglas Adams
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 13:57
Another thread ruined.

Though this quickly went from sad to hilarious from the complete lack of disconnect. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 13:59

I would say that's definitely a jazzy screaming track.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 14:00

Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

aldri7

Quote Line-up / Musicians

Colin Hodgkinson - Basses, Guitars, Vocals
Ron Aspery - Sax, E-Piano, Piano, Organ, Mellotron
Adrian Tilbrook - Drums, Percussion
Produced by Carl Palmer

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5095#discography

So if Carl Palmer produced an album by Peters and Lee, they would qualify as prog then?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>