Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransatlantic long tracks Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [16.22%]
14 [37.84%]
2 [5.41%]
12 [32.43%]
1 [2.70%]
2 [5.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transatlantic long tracks Poll
    Posted: April 22 2014 at 14:17
Two months ago I was seeing live Transatlantic and then I thought to make a poll about their long tracks, some great, some good and some not so good. Well, I'm doing it now, so what do you think about? which one do you think is the best?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:40
Duel With The Devil
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 17:46
Duel With The Devil. All of the Above would be the next best. The Whirlwind really doesn't feel like one song.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 21:10
First vote for Into the Blue.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 21:22
I go with The Whirlwind, for it is by far my favourite album from them... though as has been said before, it doesn't really feel like one song for me, but almost every part of the album, or every song, is better for me than almost any other song they have from their other albums. However, if I choose among the other long songs on this list, I guess it would have to be "Duel with the Devil" or "Into the Blue", but even this songs suffer from what just about every long song from them... they are just over long. For me, most of those songs could be cut down by 5 or even 10 minutes and end up better for that, and still be long epic songs. And besides, for some reason you missed the ones that would actually be my favourite long songs from them, first "In Held 'Twas", though that might be left out because it is actually a cover, and in that case my favourite long song composed by them would be "My New World"... or perhaps this were left out because they were not long enough? Still, maybe that's the very reason I like them better.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 06:52
All of the Above
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I And besides, for some reason you missed the ones that would actually be my favourite long songs from them, first "In Held 'Twas", though that might be left out because it is actually a cover, and in that case my favourite long song composed by them would be "My New World"... or perhaps this were left out because they were not long enough? Still, maybe that's the very reason I like them better.

Right, as you say, In Held... is a cover of Procol Harum, and that's the reason I didn't put it in the poll. And as you say too, My new world is short compared with their long tracks, so that is the reason too. And I understand and share what you say in some way. Sometimes these tracks or some of them seems to be unnecesary long. About the Whirlwind, in the show the guys played a shortened version which sounds great.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 21:20
Have you woke up screaming in the silence of the night? You wish you could start dreaming in clouds of white. But everything could change tonight. When you duel with the devil living in your mind.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 21:47
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

I And besides, for some reason you missed the ones that would actually be my favourite long songs from them, first "In Held 'Twas", though that might be left out because it is actually a cover, and in that case my favourite long song composed by them would be "My New World"... or perhaps this were left out because they were not long enough? Still, maybe that's the very reason I like them better.

Right, as you say, In Held... is a cover of Procol Harum, and that's the reason I didn't put it in the poll. And as you say too, My new world is short compared with their long tracks, so that is the reason too. And I understand and share what you say in some way. Sometimes these tracks or some of them seems to be unnecesary long. About the Whirlwind, in the show the guys played a shortened version which sounds great.

About the short version of "The Whirlwind" do you mean the latest tour? I actually went to see them on this tour, and since The Whirlwind is my absolute favourite from what they have done, it was a real dissapointment for me that they didn't play more... not that I wasn't expecting it (and I actually checked the set-lists before going to the show), but I still would have liked more whirlwind in the show... the problem is... only about the whole album would have been enough. Sadly, I didn't know the band until after the Whirlwind tour, and they hadn't come to Mexico until this year, so it was impossible for me to see them when they toured that album.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 22:52
I guess I can see why Duel is the most popular. It's a bit sleeker and perhaps more refined than All of the Above. Still I think the latter is an even richer, more complex work with more great melodies.
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 23:12
Duel with the Devil. Though, for many of their songs I can only listen one at a time; I just get so exhausted of their music after one suite. I still enjoy it though
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:26
Out of the Whirlwind!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:58
I thought they were all long Tongue
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:18
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

All of the Above

Me 2...but it should be All of the Underneath
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 14:18

About the short version of "The Whirlwind" do you mean the latest tour? I actually went to see them on this tour, and since The Whirlwind is my absolute favourite from what they have done, it was a real dissapointment for me that they didn't play more... not that I wasn't expecting it (and I actually checked the set-lists before going to the show), but I still would have liked more whirlwind in the show... the problem is... only about the whole album would have been enough. Sadly, I didn't know the band until after the Whirlwind tour, and they hadn't come to Mexico until this year, so it was impossible for me to see them when they toured that album.

Well, that is the first time they come here, so itīs the first show that I see. Agree with you, Whirldwind is the best they have done for me too (I will vote this now in the poll), and I would like they were played more, but what I'm trying to say is that a shortened version sounds great too. I say this because you said previously that you find their long tracks, too long, and I agree in some way. But of course I would like they were played more Whirlwind and less from the others.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 21:44
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Well, that is the first time they come here, so itīs the first show <span style="line-height: 1.2;">that I see. Agree with you, Whirldwind is the best they have done for me too (I will vote this now in the poll), and I would like they were played more, but what I'm trying to say is that a shortened version sounds great too. I say this because you said previously that you find their long tracks, too long, and I agree in some way. But of course I would like they were played more Whirlwind and less from the others.</span>

Yeah, I said that about the long songs. But for me, The Whirlwind doesn't feel like a single song, but like a collection of songs making a cohesive entity (like Dark Side of the Moon, I guess), and in general it hardly gets any overlong for me. Only one short section at the middle of the album which I don't find as great as the rest of the album, but still good, and the very last song, which actually sounds out of place in the album and that one I don't really like (though, the way they played it in the concert was just perfect, that's how they should have done it on the album). On the other hand, I would have loved if they had done some other of the long songs shorter, but all they did was a medley of two songs from their first two albums (don't really remember which ones), they played the first half of one and the second half of the other... and from both songs they chose the half I liked less, if they had done it the other way around it would have been great.
CharlesPL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 23:07
Duel with the devil is their best song (IMO).

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 06:56
Whirlwind is a treasure
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:25
Duel with the Devil. Into the Blue would be a close second for this one.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 16:37
Whirlwind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>