FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind and John Etheridge - Hawkeaster 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind and John Etheridge - Hawkeaster 2014
    Posted: April 25 2014 at 16:37
The two-day indoor Hawkwind festival known as Hawkeaster was a great success again - this one being the second such. Again held in Seaton, and again a very friendly event in a town that rather seems to like the spacehead influx. As well as two Hawkwind performances and two semi-Hawkwind shows, we had ex-Hawkwind vocalist Captain Rizz and his band, a Tim Blake solo set, and a Hawkwind cover band called Opusweed.

Auctions of Hawkwind items for charity, and a "Question Time" for fans to ask the band various things were compered by TV presenter and long-time Hawkwind fan Matthew Wright. And the Gong offshoot band Here and Now also played, on the first evening.

Ex-Soft Machine jazz guitarist John Etheridge did a warmly-received solo set as well as performing with Hawkwind on the second night. He first played with Hawkwind back in February this year, and looks thoroughly at home on stage with Brock & Co.

Here's a quick whizz through the Hawkwind bits.

SATURDAY 5:30pm - The Elves of Silbury Hill

Basically, Hawkwind with ex-Hawk Steve Bemand on guitar instead of Dave Brock.

The set included Adjust Me, You Shouldn't Do That / Seeing it, Waiting for Tomorrow, PXR-5, Web Weaver, Brainbox Pollution, and Valium 10.

SATURDAY NIGHT - Hawkwind

The current line-up of Niall Hone and Mr Dibs sharing bass duties, Richard Chadwick (drums), Tim Blake (theramin & keytar), Dave Brock (guitar) and Dead Fred Reeves (violin and keyboards).

This was announced as "rock night" by Dave Brock and included Prometheus, Utopia, Reefer Madness, Brainstorm, Seasons and Motorhead.

SUNDAY 4:15pm TOSH - Technicians of Spaceship Hawkwind

TOSH comprised Niall on his magic box of tricks, Haz Wheaton (roadie) on bass, Mr Dibs (vocals), Richard Chadwick (drums), someone on guitar whose name I didn't catch, and Dead Fred on keys.

The TOSH set included Urban Guerilla, LSD, Quark Strangeness and Charm, Hurry on Sundown, Master of the Universe, and Infinity,

SUNDAY NIGHT - Hawkwind

The standard Hawkwind line-up was greatly augmented by John Etheridge on guitar.

This was announced as "space rock night" and the different setlist to the previous night included High Rise, Hills have Ears, Robot, You'd Better Believe It, Born to Go (with Earth Calling narrated over the middle section), Uncle Sam's on Mars / Iron Dream, and Orgone Accumulator.

That last one included Dave Brock playing harmonica over a kind of acconpanying beat.

Seeing that little lot is not a quiet way to spend one's Easter, but it's definitely fun for a Hawkwind fan!
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 16:57
Your a lucky dude!
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
 Post Reply Post Reply