0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three albums included in Electronic Prog
    Posted: April 30 2014 at 12:54
Okay, inspired by zravkapt,, but I love these albums dearly.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 13:06
All three are very cool, but I slightly prefer Franco Leprino to the other two. 

Incidentally, all three of these were albums I would not have known existed if not for this forum.  That's one of the reasons I stick around.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 30 2014 at 13:07
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 13:17
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

All three are very cool, but I slightly prefer Franco Leprino to the other two. 

Incidentally, all three of these were albums I would not have known existed if not for this forum.  That's one of the reasons I stick around.

I discovered these three thanks to members at this forum too, and discovering music has been a major reason for me staying with this site (and I've even discovered some awesome TV programs and films thanks to people at this board). 

I'd probably choose the Leprino too as that's the one I return to the most.  I actually adore that album, and I've said before that if we had a six star rating for extra special albums in our collections then I'd give it a six.  All three albums have obsessed me at one time or another.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 14:33
That's the title I should have used. Then I wouldn't get the odd "I don't consider ___ to be ___"

Like all three but voted for Igor.
Magma America Great Make Again
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 15:25
Igor Wakhevitch
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 17:54
The Leprino composition is very nice.

Wakhevitch's is pretty cool, but it doesn't sound like what I consider progressive electronic. I hear drums, real bass guitar, and even a live string section.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 18:25
It's not what I would call a Progressive Electronic track either. He's in that category for other material -- I just love that album and track.  Docteur Faust is quite an eclectic album (one reason why I love it).  By the poll title I meant albums that can be found in Prog Archive's Progressive Electronic category, not that the albums must be progressive electronic.  I should have been clearer about that in the opening post.  The first Wakhevitch album I heard is Hathor, but I have all of his, and that is certainly Prog Electronic.  As is Logos and others of his.  Docteur Faust, not so much.

By the way, of course it's better to tag particular albums, and even particular tracks, than tagging bands genre-wise.

Edited by Logan - April 30 2014 at 18:27
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 19:53
Bobby for me Greg, Franco would be my runnerup. I really dig that album that was made in prison though, such unique circumstances revolving around that one plus the music is amazing.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 22:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

... but it doesn't sound like what I consider progressive electronic.

LOL This is what I was talking about. I guess even your title doesn't help.
Magma America Great Make Again
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 22:37
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

... but it doesn't sound like what I consider progressive electronic.

LOL This is what I was talking about. I guess even your title doesn't help.

True.  LOL  I did think it was funny to see that post made just two posts after yours.  I wasn't safe after all, it seems.

At least my title might have helped had I been able to make it longer, but I would have at least thought that your post before would help, but not everybody reads the thread before responding, or an opening post, the title, or even the poll question I've noticed.   That said, I understand verslibre mentioning it in this case and am in no way criticizing him.

I used to try to be really careful explaining my intent in long opening posts, and then would be extremely irritated when people would, for instance, say where the hell is so-and-so, and I liked to post unusual questions to polls to see if people were paying attention.  It can get a bit tiresome trying to explain.  That said, I have sometimes been critical of choices in a poll if they didn't seem to fit the title.  For example, it has irked me when I've seen Kind of Blue in a best JRF albums poll because it's not JRF.  In this case I could have chosen a more electronic piece by Wakhevitch and a purely electronic album by him, but chose not to.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 10:50
I just listened to Lucifer Rising this morning (by chance though - I hadn't seen this poll of yours Greg), and as a consequence of that, I have to vote for it. Put me in a room with 3 of my fave albums - ask me to choose - and I'll go for the one that just left the stereoEmbarrassed
I do love each of these albums with about the same amount of gusto and madness, and if I were to be bok bok chickeny, I'd have opt for the last option.......but I'm not!
Much more of a fighting pheasant
....and people wonder where they got the inspiration to The Matrix' fighting scenes fromGeek

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 01 2014 at 10:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 12:38
I'm the same with voting... I usually vote for the one that I last played on my stereo or iPod.  It's whatever album I really care about that is freshest in my mind.  And sometimes it's because it's because its my latest acquisition.  It's all very mutable, though.  I find it interesting with some that their favourites seem to far more set in stone over years than how I experience music.  Most every day I have a particular album, or particular albums, that I'm most into or style that I'm into.  The next day, something else often.  I'm pretty obsessive, though, and can play the same album again and again and again the same day.  Unlike some years ago when I would pick up an insane amount of music, I don't get much new music now, so usually it's about re-discovering old, or not so old, faves.  I ramble.

I'm more of a fighting watermelon monster myself.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 12:39
Bloody pheasant.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 12:52
Leprino or the tangerine life. Love this music Heart
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It's not what I would call a Progressive Electronic track either. He's in that category for other material -- I just love that album and track.

Ah, okay. It was a track designation, not overall style. Believe me, I don't have the final say on "electronic prog," either. When Tangerine Dream adds electric guitar, Mellotron (a tape instrument with a keyboard) and real drums, I still call it "electronic."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 16:17

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It's not what I would call a Progressive Electronic track either. He's in that category for other material -- I just love that album and track.

Ah, okay. It was a track designation, not overall style. Believe me, I don't have the final say on "electronic prog," either. When Tangerine Dream adds electric guitar, Mellotron (a tape instrument with a keyboard) and real drums, I still call it "electronic."

It has electronic music on the album, but going by PA categorisation, I would describe Docteur Faust as more of an Avant-Prog album that is included in Electronic Prog (the PA category) because of the way this site works. I really do wish we had album tagging at PA.  SO, yeah, I never had any intention of actually choosing representative of their PA category albums for this poll.  What I love about Docteur Faust is how can it move, say, from these odd electronic pieces into dynamic sinister rock and then to more academic music.  Awesome album, I think.

This track is a pretty good example.

It's not an album that I would recommend as an electronic album.  For more pure electronic music, then I would recommend Hathor. My favourites of his are Logos and Docteur Faust.  Logos and various Wakhevitch I think would appeal to a lot of Tangerine Dream fans (especially early TD).

Like Zeit, it has a Ligeti influence I'd say.  And Logos draws on similar academic music/ minimalist/ musique concrete influences as Tangerine Dream.  The album reminds me in part of Electronic Meditation (a TD album I love more than most).
 Post Reply Post Reply