Topic ClosedYes at Cliffs Pavilion, Southend 30 April 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes at Cliffs Pavilion, Southend 30 April 2014
    Posted: May 01 2014 at 06:33

Ah, gigs for old prog bands, the only ones where the queue for the Gents is longer than the queues for the Ladies. Yes hit Southend last night and it’s fair to say the audience were of a certain age, rarely have I seen so many bald heads in one building.

As Yes head towards their 50th year as a band, the question is can they keep going? The answer judging on last night’s performance is yes (sorry), for now at least.

The gig consisted of complete performances of 3 classic Yes albums – The Yes Album, Close To The Edge and Going For The One. I wasn’t alone in expecting them to play them in chronological order but they started off with CTTE. Helpfully, the background video told us the name of the album and track, in case we didn’t know.

As has been the case for a while, the introductory section of CTTE was played too slow for my liking but that can be forgiven due to its complexity and their age. The rest of the album was fine, “And You And I” can still raise the hairs, especially in the middle instrumental section. “Siberian Khatru” rocked pretty well.

“Going For The One” was next as Howe’s guitar tech (a busy man all night) rolled out the steel guitar. “Turn of the Century” was wonderful and “Awaken” only suffered slightly due to the lack of church organ and choir on the climax. Davidson fumbled the lyrics at one point and, when he went to play the harp section on a keyboard, he seemed to start off with the wrong sound and had to switch quickly. No harm done.

They finished with “The Yes Album” which was pretty much as expected, although there was no extended jam on Wurm and the middle section of Perpetual Change was a bit of a mess (but that must be extremely difficult to play with the two different time signatures). “A Venture” is the one track I’d never heard live before (I don’t believe they’ve played it before this tour) and it was brilliant, with Downes contributing some fine jazz piano at the end.

The encore, as you would expect, was “Roundabout” and then they left a very happy audience.

So what of Davidson? Well, to his credit he had no problems reaching any of the high notes. His voice and mannerisms are similar to Anderson’s and he plays a mean bongo. He got a big cheer at the end so the audience obviously had no problems accepting him.

So a good night overall, the downside? Well, there was a blinding spotlight that was shone into the audience, Howe’s fingers are not as fast as they used to be and he still looks like a mad Professor. Some of Downes’ keyboard sounds need work and his timing was out in places. White continues to be subdued and Chris Squire continues to grow. I for one look forward to the new album.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 07:54
I was pleased to see this as I am going to see them on this tour in a couple of weeks time.

Shame about the lack of church organ or choir on Awaken.  I've seen a few people criticising Downes, couldn't he just use a synth that can be programmed to replicate the sounds, or is that too obvious.

A very useful and informative review Clap.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 08:17
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I was pleased to see this as I am going to see them on this tour in a couple of weeks time.

Shame about the lack of church organ or choir on Awaken.  I've seen a few people criticising Downes, couldn't he just use a synth that can be programmed to replicate the sounds, or is that too obvious.

A very useful and informative review Clap.
Thanks for the comment.

Perhaps I should clarify - Downes was using a church organ-like sound on the keyboard but to my mind it could never replicate the magnificence of the original. There was really anything emulating the choir.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 09:45
Nice one Alan - certainly sounds like they can still give young'uns a run for their money; also good to see Anderson is not too missed & the new guy being accepted by the audience.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Nice one Alan - certainly sounds like they can still give young'uns a run for their money; also good to see Anderson is not too missed & the new guy being accepted by the audience.
He seems to be doing better than Trevor Horn did on the Drama tour, but then he couldn't get the high notes (which is hardly his fault).
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 15:01
Chopper:

Nice review. I saw this tour in NYC, and was mostly very impressed. Same album order. (My understanding is that Howe and White wanted to play them in strict chrono order, but Squire absolutely refused.)

As for Downes' keyboards, my understanding there is that Squire and Howe deliberately kept Downes lower in the mix because "they" are the stars, and they didn't want him stealing any thunder. (In NYC, even the opening of Parallels - which should have shaken the rafters - was "lower" than it should have been.)

All that said, it was, indeed, a surprisingly good show.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 10:45
I missed out on Yes (and IQ) as I went to see Rick Wakeman in Bournemouth. I do not regret this at all. Review to follow.
 Post Reply Post Reply