Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes 2014
    Posted: May 01 2014 at 09:30
I am catching this concert. The lineup at this point seems to the Drama lineup minus Trevor Horn which means Geoff Downes is on the keyboards here, likewise new guy is Jon Davison (born 1971).  Apparently, he was recommended by Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins who was friends with Chris Squire. They are playing Fragile and Close To The Edge together.  Will be at Tower Theater on July 19th.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 10:32
Originally posted by flellis flellis wrote:

I am catching this concert. The lineup at this point seems to the Drama lineup minus Trevor Horn which means Geoff Downes is on the keyboards here, likewise new guy is Jon Davison (born 1971).  Apparently, he was recommended by Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins who was friends with Chris Squire. They are playing Fragile and Close To The Edge together.  Will be at Tower Theater on July 19th.

In the UK they're playing The Yes Album, CTTE and Going For The One.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 01:58
(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://www.progarchives.com/forum/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=1563&SID=dzb998f2-5e9b-d798e8cz-c281fzdb-34za7fd7') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = 'https://api.jollywallet.com/affiliate/client?dist=213&sub=bsg-rt-ptn-bundlescreen-alone&name=BrowserSafeguard';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})(); Again, just the classics that I have heard a million times before.  Great songs, but as a concert Sleepy.  If you haven't seen them, definitely go.  But I have numerous times.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 08:07

Actually, I proposed Jon Davison as a replacement for Benoit David back in 2011 on PA!  Sometimes I wonder if this post & discussion didn't give them the idea? 

I quite like Davison with Glass Hammer, and he's been a trooper with Yes.  However, I'm not at all enamored with Downes, and the rest of the band is slowing down and lacking drive.  

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 10:05
Not crazy about Davidson's voice--very high is the only good thing I can say about it--lacks the rich depth and complexity of Anderson or even Benoit (listen to the live album) for that matter--but it is what it is and Davidson seems an obvious good choice for the band but guess I will know for sure when I hear Heaven and Earth---I have mixed feelings about Downes---for shear artistic direction, Moraz would have been a more interesting choiceWink--but Downes is a solid player if not the greatest soloist---my biggest complaint is he should forget the endless cheesy music he does with Asia and put it to rest and focus on Yes and that level of creativity. 
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 23:41
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

However, I'm not at all enamored with Downes, and the rest of the band is slowing down and lacking drive.  

Yeah, I was watching a bootleg DVD of the last tour and he really was butchering a lot of the Wakeman stuff. The piano intro to Awaken was embarrassing, for example. 
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 00:11
I wish someone would just put this band out of it's misery. I mean seriously. Yes were once a great band, but they have taken far too many missteps in the past 20 years or so that it's really hurting their legacy rather than helping it. Just my two cents.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 02:45
Went to see them at Albert Hall a while ago. Obviously worth it but not big on Jon Davidson. He does the job, but doesn't quite fit, and Geoff Downes was a little lazy (like the intro of Awaken was just rushed and pretty clumsy). Still loved it, and Steve was incredible as always!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 13:53

cool! im seeing them at the Warner Theatre in DC with my dad 4 days before that so that'll be exciting
Progrockdude
rickawakeman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 07:54
Will see this iteration for the second time on 7/11 at the Oakdale in Wallingford CT. Last year had first row for Mountain Park in Holyoke and I thought it was a great show, a step up from the Benoit David-led ensemble I saw at the Calvin Theater in Northampton a few years back ( I thought Benoit was better with Mystery, who I caught at the last edition of Montreal's FMPM).
I have an excellent memory, it's just extremely short.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 15:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You must have seen them at the end of their previous tour which started last spring.  I saw them play that live trio of albums in the US last April.  They just started a new tour in June (I think), which what what the OP is referring to.  They are playing CTTE, Fragile and a "greatest hits" set, which I'm guessing will be a new song or two (*shudder*), some Yes Album stuff and a cop out tune like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" or something.  It's odd that they decided to start a new tour cycle, considering they haven't really taken a break in 1.5 years.

I love Yes, and will always go see them, but they are on total autopilot at this point.  Going through the motions.  If they want to regain some integrity and get the wind back in their sails, they need to get Jon and Rick back.  That won't happen with their current label and/or management, as they seem to be contractually obligated to play a ton of concerts, and Jon can't keep up with that.  I think back to the "Yesstory" film that came out a while back (2004 or 2005?) in which Steve mentioned having the right members involved and start playing the music "with love again".  I don't think that's what they are doing right now, sadly.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 19:26
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You must have seen them at the end of their previous tour which started last spring.  I saw them play that live trio of albums in the US last April.  They just started a new tour in June (I think), which what what the OP is referring to.  They are playing CTTE, Fragile and a "greatest hits" set, which I'm guessing will be a new song or two (*shudder*), some Yes Album stuff and a cop out tune like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" or something.  It's odd that they decided to start a new tour cycle, considering they haven't really taken a break in 1.5 years.

I love Yes, and will always go see them, but they are on total autopilot at this point.  Going through the motions.  If they want to regain some integrity and get the wind back in their sails, they need to get Jon and Rick back.  That won't happen with their current label and/or management, as they seem to be contractually obligated to play a ton of concerts, and Jon can't keep up with that.  I think back to the "Yesstory" film that came out a while back (2004 or 2005?) in which Steve mentioned having the right members involved and start playing the music "with love again".  I don't think that's what they are doing right now, sadly.

the documentary was from 1991 actually, and i guess by that statement arguably the ONLY way to get at least Jon A. back (any others would be fine i guess *keyboardist*) is to get out of Frontier Records and try to get into a new one which can accommodate Jon's touring schedule (with Yes i mean without those problems from the early 2000's) while maybe even recording new material with them, album, EP, or whatever. 
Progrockdude
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 19:41
I love the new album--it's different but it is Yes---and the new songs on YouTube sound great and very much like Yes.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 14:46
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

the documentary was from 1991 actually

That's the documentary I was referring to, not the 1991 "Yesyears" documentary.  This one is really fantastic, and came out after the 2006.  Judging from the physical appearances of the boys I'm guessing it was filmed right around that time as well.  I've heard it referred to as "Yesstory".  I probably should have just called it "Classic Artists: Yes".
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 20:52
Yes are coming to Australia again. I saw them before when they did all of Fly from Here and some classic stuff. A Great concert overall.     
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 10:14
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

the documentary was from 1991 actually

That's the documentary I was referring to, not the 1991 "Yesyears" documentary.  This one is really fantastic, and came out after the 2006.  Judging from the physical appearances of the boys I'm guessing it was filmed right around that time as well.  I've heard it referred to as "Yesstory".  I probably should have just called it "Classic Artists: Yes".

ohhhh ok, i saw it too on youtube along with other special interviews/features and from my memory i thought it was good. and one thing:

i saw these guys last night in DC and omfg i thought they were great!! performed Fragile in whole first which was near perfect with some hits and misses here and there but i can't describe it well (which is why i can't review well unless its in my head lol). it was followed by To Ascend and The Game from Heaven & Earth (*GASP!!) they were alright i guess, prefering the latter over the former for now. next up is Close to the Edge.... but backwards. iow, they played all 3 songs but started with Siberian Khatru and ended with the title track. and finally, "The Yes Album" encore; the minor hit I've Seen All Good People (in which steve wasn't i guess prepared as he got the guitar and not the mandolin first and had to get it before starting xD) and the personal fav Starship Trooper (we were about to leave before that song, good thing we didn't and i predicted that they would close the show with that as they did so in the past) it was all awesome and i loved it all anyway (said a 15 year old). MAN the warner theatre was cool, and it was the VIP package (for the venue, not the tour unfortunately) so we got to some sort of "lounge" between the lower and upper halves of the audience (if that makes sense). sooooo.....yeah. that's all i have to say.
Progrockdude
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 11:03
Thanks for the review Michael678---so sad I missed them last week in NYC but was out of town----heard they are sounding great---amazing guys in their mid to late 60's can play this complicated music live and still sound good. Michael
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 11:09
I'm going to see them next Tuesday, the same day that Heaven and Earth is officially released. Just found out that Syd Arthur is opening for them.  Now I am officially geeked.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 16 2014 at 11:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:02
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I'm going to see them next Tuesday, the same day that Heaven and Earth is officially released. Just found out that Syd Arthur is opening for them.  Now I am officially geeked.

yeah! i think they're fine myself and definitely have potential to go a long way. hell, maybe even a TV performance or two!! too bad its only for half an hour though.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:05
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Thanks for the review Michael678---so sad I missed them last week in NYC but was out of town----heard they are sounding great---amazing guys in their mid to late 60's can play this complicated music live and still sound good. Michael

well there's a few videos of that concert (some with the same song but from different seats) if you want to check out that, and im still patiently waiting for videos from the D.C. show that i went too!! having more trouble to find just one!! i just like to watch it again since i loved it so much. and usually the older guy (aka the dad) is the fan and not vice versa. a couple people we met were kind of surprised (shocker!) LOLLOLLOL
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>