Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 12:49
I caught them in New Hampshire, USA on Wednesday night (16 July).  The show was excellent.  Much better than when I saw them last April in the same venue.  Jon Davison's voice was much stronger (I think he was ill last time) and the sound in general was better.  Steve Howe seemed grumpy as usual, to the point of seeming to rush from one song to the next.  Chris Squire was on point with his bass playing and singing.  The man charmed the audience and his harmonies were spot on.  According to Chris, they got a new sound technician somewhat recently and it certainly showed.

It was great to hear "Fragile" from beginning to end.  "Five per cent for Nothing" was kind of suspect, as it seemed a bit sloppy and not quite on the money, but it was fun to see nonetheless.  "Heart of the Sunrise" was a brilliant performance, with Davison really making the hairs stand up on my arms during the end of the song.

They played "To Ascend" and "The Game" from the new record, which I had no interest in.  They performed them well, but the diversity and excitement of classic material is not captured in this music.  The music feels like a contractual obligation, not a passion project.  It felt very "vanilla" being bookended by "Heart of the Sunrise" and "Close to the Edge".

The entire CttE album was performed flawlessly for the most part.  The vocal oriented midsection of CttE was beautiful.  "Siberian Khatru" was all but perfect, in comparison to the last time I saw them, when Howe seemed to lag a bit at times during the "main riff" of the song.

They closed with "I've seen all good people" and "Starship Trooper", which surprised no one, but were welcomed by all.  I was very pleased that they did not play "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as they had done for several earlier shows in this particular tour.  I have manufactured this idea in my mind that the reception to the song wasn't as strong as they had anticipated, considering they seemed to be playing to audiences full of prog fans.  In reality, the real reason is likely because they've started to incorporate a second song from the new album and didn't have time to play the aforementioned 90125 song.  I would rather hear an extra new song than something from 90125, which is really saying something.

I did not pay for the monumentally overpriced meet and greet/VIP package for this show.  Regardless, I got to meet all of them just as I did last year, as they stayed at the same hotel as my girlfriend and I (again, just as they did last year).  Chris Squire, Alan White and Geoff Downes came down to the hotel bar for a drink.  I got to have a brief chat with Chris and get a photo with him.  I was also able to show him my Roger Dean (particularly CttE inner gatefold) themed tattoo sleeve and joke that they should play Topographic Oceans on their next tour.  I actually had a much more in depth conversation with Alan White last year, but after taking up so much time with Chris, I didn't want to bother them any further, so I just opted for a handshake and "Great show, Mr. White".
Geoff Downes was very approachable and nice, and we even sat at the adjacent table to him at breakfast the following morning and had a brief chat.  Steve Howe sat at his own table and was unapproachable as usual.  If the man wants to be left alone, I can respect that, so instead of a loud and obnoxious bout of fan gushing, I opted for a gentle wave to get his attention and an Indian style bow and a "Thank you".  

Overall, this more organic way of meeting and conversing with them felt like it was more enjoyable than a planned meet and greet opportunity.  As they were very nice and approachable (with the exception of Howe), I look forward to seeing if they remember me after the next gig, since I've now met them twice.  As they meet hundreds of people every week, I won't hold my breath.

Great times.  I'm a Jon Anderson die hard, but if you displace any cynicism about their supposed lack of integrity and just try to enjoy yourself you will have a great time seeing Yes on this tour.  I never managed to catch Yes with Anderson (I am 31 years old), but this line up is good fun, and I always hope that one day he'll return to Yes, if only for one tour.

Edited by calm_sea - July 18 2014 at 12:52
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:08
Great post, Mr Sea!

I'm seeing them in November again, this will be the third time for me. I'm 38, and I never thought I'd get the chance to see them in Melbourne, Australia in my lifetime, let alone three times so far!

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 18 2014 at 13:09
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:44
that was the same setlist at the concert i saw them in DC the day before which was great! the tracks were alright i guess but again, more listens to gel into before the final verdict (which would probably the same as the other Yes albums i tried to get into yay.... *weak*) but so far i prefer The Game over To Ascend. would've liked to see Believe Again performed live once more since i think that's a good song though.
Progrockdude
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 12:46
I've taken a look at the set lists for the shows following the one I saw on Wednesday and see that they are in fact swapping out "Starship Trooper" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart".  I can only guess they are doing this if there are time constraints.  No one gives a toss about "Owner of a Lonely Heart"!

I also see that they have been doing CttE first, and that they are playing it in reverse order.  I did see that they had done this from time to time prior to the show I saw.  I think I got a particularly lucky show, because I got Fragile first, followed by two new songs, followed by CttE in the album order, All Good People, and Starship Trooper.  

The next concert on my agenda isn't until November, when I'll be seeing Steve Hackett (with meet and greet).  I will be sure to report on that as well.
King Lerxst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 13:57
I have an extra VIP ticket (including M&G) for the August 7th show in Kansas City.  If interested please post here or send me a message.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 18:38
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

I've taken a look at the set lists for the shows following the one I saw on Wednesday and see that they are in fact swapping out "Starship Trooper" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart".  I can only guess they are doing this if there are time constraints.  No one gives a toss about "Owner of a Lonely Heart"!

I also see that they have been doing CttE first, and that they are playing it in reverse order.  I did see that they had done this from time to time prior to the show I saw.  I think I got a particularly lucky show, because I got Fragile first, followed by two new songs, followed by CttE in the album order, All Good People, and Starship Trooper.  

The next concert on my agenda isn't until November, when I'll be seeing Steve Hackett (with meet and greet).  I will be sure to report on that as well.

that was the same setlist they performed at the DC show the night before that my dad and i were at. and did they play the whole All Good People song cause they only performed the second part in concert?
Progrockdude
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 22:49
Just saw them in Atlanta Symphony Hall tonight. Pretty happy about it. Played the CttE album first (in reverse), then 2 new tunes (sorry haven't heard the album yet) followed by the entirety of Fragile (in order). Encores were All Good People and Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Saw only the last 10 minutes of opening group Syd Arthur, but they were great too. Bought an LP from them and talked with them briefly. Cool guys.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

that was the same setlist they performed at the DC show the night before that my dad and i were at. and did they play the whole All Good People song cause they only performed the second part in concert?

They played the whole tune beginning to end exactly as it is on the album, from the "Your Move" section to the "I've seen all good people" section.

I've never seen them not play the whole song before.  What part did they chop off?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 16:42

They played the whole tune beginning to end exactly as it is on the album, from the "Your Move" section to the "I've seen all good people" section.

I've never seen them not play the whole song before.  What part did they chop off?

there's two parts in that song: Your Move and All Good People; they cut out the former.
Progrockdude
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 05:59

I caught them in New Hampshire, USA on Wednesday night (16 July).  The show was excellent.  Much better than when I saw them last April in the same venue.  Jon Davison's voice was much stronger (I think he was ill last time) and the sound in general was better.  Steve Howe seemed grumpy as usual, to the point of seeming to rush from one song to the next.  Chris Squire was on point with his bass playing and singing.  The man charmed the audience and his harmonies were spot on.  According to Chris, they got a new sound technician somewhat recently and it certainly showed.

It was great to hear "Fragile" from beginning to end.  "Five per cent for Nothing" was kind of suspect, as it seemed a bit sloppy and not quite on the money, but it was fun to see nonetheless.  "Heart of the Sunrise" was a brilliant performance, with Davison really making the hairs stand up on my arms during the end of the song.

They played "To Ascend" and "The Game" from the new record, which I had no interest in.  They performed them well, but the diversity and excitement of classic material is not captured in this music.  The music feels like a contractual obligation, not a passion project.  It felt very "vanilla" being bookended by "Heart of the Sunrise" and "Close to the Edge".

The entire CttE album was performed flawlessly for the most part.  The vocal oriented midsection of CttE was beautiful.  "Siberian Khatru" was all but perfect, in comparison to the last time I saw them, when Howe seemed to lag a bit at times during the "main riff" of the song.

They closed with "I've seen all good people" and "Starship Trooper", which surprised no one, but were welcomed by all.  I was very pleased that they did not play "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as they had done for several earlier shows in this particular tour.  I have manufactured this idea in my mind that the reception to the song wasn't as strong as they had anticipated, considering they seemed to be playing to audiences full of prog fans.  In reality, the real reason is likely because they've started to incorporate a second song from the new album and didn't have time to play the aforementioned 90125 song.  I would rather hear an extra new song than something from 90125, which is really saying something.

I did not pay for the monumentally overpriced meet and greet/VIP package for this show.  Regardless, I got to meet all of them just as I did last year, as they stayed at the same hotel as my girlfriend and I (again, just as they did last year).  Chris Squire, Alan White and Geoff Downes came down to the hotel bar for a drink.  I got to have a brief chat with Chris and get a photo with him.  I was also able to show him my Roger Dean (particularly CttE inner gatefold) themed tattoo sleeve and joke that they should play Topographic Oceans on their next tour.  I actually had a much more in depth conversation with Alan White last year, but after taking up so much time with Chris, I didn't want to bother them any further, so I just opted for a handshake and "Great show, Mr. White".
Geoff Downes was very approachable and nice, and we even sat at the adjacent table to him at breakfast the following morning and had a brief chat.  Steve Howe sat at his own table and was unapproachable as usual.  If the man wants to be left alone, I can respect that, so instead of a loud and obnoxious bout of fan gushing, I opted for a gentle wave to get his attention and an Indian style bow and a "Thank you".  

Overall, this more organic way of meeting and conversing with them felt like it was more enjoyable than a planned meet and greet opportunity.  As they were very nice and approachable (with the exception of Howe), I look forward to seeing if they remember me after the next gig, since I've now met them twice.  As they meet hundreds of people every week, I won't hold my breath.

Great times.  I'm a Jon Anderson die hard, but if you displace any cynicism about their supposed lack of integrity and just try to enjoy yourself you will have a great time seeing Yes on this tour.  I never managed to catch Yes with Anderson (I am 31 years old), but this line up is good fun, and I always hope that one day he'll return to Yes, if only for one tour.

AWESOME post, man! I live about 40 minutes from that venue, but didn't have the chance to see it! Thank you for this! Tongue
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 15:43

there's two parts in that song: Your Move and All Good People; they cut out the former.

It's not my intention to sound snarky or nit-picky, but I know there's two parts to the song; as mentioned in my previous post.

On topic:
I'm really surprised they shortened that song.  It's one of their most famous songs and it's not that long to begin with (by Yes standards).  Really odd.  They must have been running short on time for some reason.  Sorry you didn't get to hear "Your move".  The vocal harmonies are always a concert highlight.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 03:10

It's not my intention to sound snarky or nit-picky, but I know there's two parts to the song; as mentioned in my previous post.

On topic:
I'm really surprised they shortened that song.  It's one of their most famous songs and it's not that long to begin with (by Yes standards).  Really odd.  They must have been running short on time for some reason.  Sorry you didn't get to hear "Your move".  The vocal harmonies are always a concert highlight.

The 2nd part you mean they cut "Ive seen all good people turn my head each day so satisfied i'm on my way..." NO! How could they cut that cool bitLOL

I love it anyway

Glad they play all of Fragile! Such a classic, and CttE also! Gonna be a great concert with those treSURES

Still so grateful they played Starship TROOPER when I saw em in 2012 - i almost cried with joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 08:29

On topic:

ohhhhh no no no no no, they played the whole song in DC is what i meant to say, and sry i didn't notice you already know that (goddamnit all im ashamed of myself lol). Venue limitations for this type of setlist may be the cause of this imo.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 08:31
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The 2nd part you mean they cut "Ive seen all good people turn my head each day so satisfied i'm on my way..." NO! How could they cut that cool bitLOL

I love it anyway

Glad they play all of Fragile! Such a classic, and CttE also! Gonna be a great concert with those treSURES

Still so grateful they played Starship TROOPER when I saw em in 2012 - i almost cried with joy.

and they still do... i hope (don't worry they'll play it, funny thing is that i almost left the show before the song played; my dad thought it was the end of the show at that moment xD LOL)
Progrockdude
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 11:50
Yes will be appearing live on Yahoo! on August 19th, 2014 at 11:30 PM EST.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/yes

Judging from previous recent concerts, the show will consist of Close the Edge (album played in reverse), followed by the first two songs from the new album, followed by Fragile in its entirety, with an encore of "I've Seen All Good People" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart."

Edited by Epignosis - August 18 2014 at 11:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 12:30
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Yes will be appearing live on Yahoo! on August 19th, 2014 at 11:30 PM EST.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/yes

Judging from previous recent concerts, the show will consist of Close the Edge (album played in reverse), followed by the first two songs from the new album, followed by Fragile in its entirety, with an encore of "I've Seen All Good People" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart."

would've loved to watch it, but its during my bedtime especially since that's when i start school (*gasp* I KNOW!!!!! CryCryCry)

Edited by Michael678 - August 18 2014 at 12:32
Progrockdude
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 16:16
God, i would be in bed in a profound state of sleep...Cry  I just saw that you can see the show afterwards...Smile

Edited by rdtprog - August 18 2014 at 16:18
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 18:14
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

God, i would be in bed in a profound state of sleep...Cry  I just saw that you can see the show afterwards...Smile

SERIOUSLY!?!?! i can't wait till the weekend, maybe even before that!!!! Big smile

UPDATE: HOWEVER, ill be skeptical until then because im unfamiliar with this Yahoo! Screen thing. but that's till the weekend of course lol.

Edited by Michael678 - August 18 2014 at 19:54
Progrockdude
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 23:25
Originally posted by flellis flellis wrote:

I am catching this concert. The lineup at this point seems to the Drama lineup minus Trevor Horn which means Geoff Downes is on the keyboards here, likewise new guy is Jon Davison (born 1971).  Apparently, he was recommended by Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins who was friends with Chris Squire. 

Actually, *ahem,* I recommended Jon Davison as a replacement for Benoit David in 2011!!  

It took them long enough, but they finally got my memo.  Squire owes me a bottle of cognac!  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 14:37

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

SERIOUSLY!?!?! i can't wait till the weekend, maybe even before that!!!! Big smile

UPDATE: HOWEVER, ill be skeptical until then because im unfamiliar with this Yahoo! Screen thing. but that's till the weekend of course lol.

and now that news update is put on their website. im less skeptical than i was before as well. but still, goddamnit school!!! Unhappy
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>