FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPersonal prog connections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The idea of trying to engage Fripp in conversation in a sauna is wonderful, he's uncomfortable with fan interaction to start with but wrapped in a towel and all sweaty, my goodness.

You hit the nail on the head---very awkward for him lol---I see tons of celebs in my neighborhood and New Yorkers generally speaking, don't bother them--Wilem Defoe lives a block away and is a nice guy--the nicest friendliest guy in the neighborhood was the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman---a great down to earth guy who would nod and say hello ---may he rest in peace.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:13
[QUOTE=Dean] I've name-dropped all the prog people I've met over the years many times before, so I'll just mention those who approached me rather than the ones I've summoned the nerve to go up and talk to. A few years ago Ex-Enid guitarist Francis Lickerish, now of Secret Green, contacted me out of the blue enquiring after an oil-painting I'd painted of him back in 1977. 

Unfortunately for him I'd given the painting as a present to a friend fairly soon after I had finished it. Co-incidentally that friend and I had chatted with Francis and Steve Stewart in the bar after the gig in Bedford that the painting was from.

At a secret Focus gig in a local pub another ex-Enid guitarist Nick May, now of Whimwise, approached me thinking I was Clive Nolan of Pendragon, once we'd sorted out I wasn't we had an interesting chat about music and the music biz.

Separated at birth? LOL

And when the band I used to manage was playing the Bloodstock festival for the second time, Bob Catley of Magnum was also on the bill, he spent much of the afternoon chatting and drinking with myself, my wife and daughter and ... Becki our lead singer:
...so not because of our sparkling wit and repartee then... Wink
Francis sent me the most amazing emails and I truly cross the borderline with The Enid ..so imagine how overwhelmed I was to converse with him about his life and guitar playing. I loved his attack on guitar which is unlike anyone's .  Then after about the third email, he began to call me Chrissy. I then explained properly that Chrissy was my wife and that my name was Johnny. But he continued to address me as Chrissy for the entire communication process between us. I mentioned how great of an idea it would be to transfer the video tape of Hammersmith 79" to DVD. He offered to mail what he stated was the sole copy of the concert, granting me permission to transfer it. Being a naturally dreamer type, I forgot that British video tapes were not functional on American made machines. I was so nervous about having that tape in my house that I raced to the post office the next morning to mail it back to him and spent extra money for a quicker method than first class. In about 2. Years time after our conversing Hammersmith 79" was released on DVD. 

Edited by TODDLER - May 06 2014 at 12:15
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:41
To Dean, your oil painting of Francis Lickerish is just the best and it really brings out the spirit of what he feels during a performance on electric guitar. This is a very unique work of art and additionally a complete rarity. I love this story to death and the experience is very meaningful. And...btw, Francis Lickerish might not realize that he influenced some serious guitarists in America. Guitarists in the late 70"s and early 80"s who traveled the road performing in progressive bands, original and cover, who were very aware of The Stand and ordered import albums of The Enid. Your painting means a Lot to these fans.
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 13:01
I met Steve Hackett briefly once, after a gig at Bradford student's union. I think it was the Highly Strung tour, probably about 1983.

I was at Leeds uni and I'd gone over with a couple of friends. We met a guy in the bar who wrote for the Bradford student's union newspaper who said he was doing an interview after the show for the paper.

My mate then said he wrote for the Leeds uni paper, and managed to blag himself a free ticket. After the show he was then expected to interview Steve, but he had no questions prepared - unlike his Bradford counterpart. I was outside the room but could hear the interview, and was in stitches with my other mate while he bumbled through an interview.

Steve to his credit was very polite and patient, but he must have been thinking "what an idiot"!

Mind you, my friend probably still did better than I would have, I'd have been too star-struck at the time.

Edited by timbo - May 08 2014 at 13:05
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:14
Can't really say I've had contact with any particularly famous musicians, but I am good friends with nearly the whole Frogg Cafe band.  Hung out with them at Nearfest 2003, before I'd ever even heard any of their music.  Hung out with them at various Nearfests and gigs of theirs since then.  It was via them that I got to talk to the brothers in Izz for a while after walking out of a performance at Nearfest.  It was during that conversation that Roger Dean passed out on the floor after drinking a beer offered to him by Frogg Cafe's violin player (apparently, he hadn't had a drink in years, and this particular beer was a high alcohol content beer......I guess he chugged it down, though I didn't see that part).  Come to think of it, Roger Dean asked me if I was heading towards New York City after Nearfest, I guess he needed a ride.  Unfortunately I was going the opposite direction.  I think he may have ended up riding with one of the Frogg Cafe guys.

I also had dinner with Karmakanic once, which was fairly entertaining.  Jonas Reingold tried to explain to the waitress how in Sweden, they don't use money, they pay for everything with cheese, lol.  I've chatted briefly with Roine Stolt, and spent a good half hour talking about music with Hasse Bruniusson, Flower Kings percussionist and founding member of Samla Mammas Manna.

Oh yeah......me and a friend, and a couple of the guys from Frogg Cafe cornered Chirstian Vander at Nearfest 2007 to ask him to translate "Polish my mumper" into Kobian (it was written on the back of my Cardboard Amanda shirt.....the guitarist of Frogg Cafe's side project).  He said it wasn't possible, because Kobian isn't a real language and he just makes it up as he goes along (or something to that effect).

Edited by infandous - May 08 2014 at 14:20
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

Mind you, my friend probably still did better than I would have, I'd have been too star-struck at the time.

I was about to say - why didn't you run in and help the poor guy out? LOL

Fun story though - thanks. Cool
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 23:03
Really great posts here! Ironically it's sometimes easier to shake hands and chat with a famous progger when you"'re a fan and not a musician traveling the road. The road is so incredibly high pressured and everyone becomes so increasingly tired that a conversation between bands is repressed often. I've shaken hands and chatted with famous comedians and musicians during road travel in the 70"s and 80"s, but those conversations were often cut short because the celebrities would be pulled away on the spot by fans. Fans were very important in those days! Interestingly enough, I am now able to read fantastic stories written by some of those fans who are now members of P.A. I find Mothman interesting. Although it can not be proven that he exists, if in fact he did, I would like to meet him. He, she, it...has a great deal of explaining to do.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 12:20
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I met Prog once, great guy. 
If a bit pretentious.
"most people only see my symphonic side" *pulls up collar*

Yeah ... without the keyboards, it seems that too much of the stuff is not considered progressive.

Oh well, there's always kettle drums and tea spoons!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 12:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I met Prog once, great guy. 
If a bit pretentious.
"most people only see my symphonic side" *pulls up collar*

Yeah ... without the keyboards, it seems that too much of the stuff is not considered progressive.

Oh well, there's always kettle drums and tea spoons!
Yet "rock with keyboards" does not equate to "symphonic rock" or "symphonic prog" even though some people think that a rock album with four long songs is a symphony. 

Funny old world we live in.

What?
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 07:17
I am Facebook friends with Phideaux Xavier and Charlie Dominici.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 06:26
NOPE no prog connection here.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 07:48
I've met many many prog musicians that are in bands that no one cares about. <3

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 07:56
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

You've met Emerson, Lake and Palmer? get outta here girlfriend....
Timbo1961 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 16:53
I was asked to audition for Grey Lady Down. I didn't get the gig though.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Like who?

Edited by Mirror Image - May 29 2014 at 19:26
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 19:31
I'd really love to meet all the members of Genesis, especially Hackett, Gabriel, and Banks. I'd also love to meet David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Alan White, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, John Wetton, Adrian Belew, Chester Thompson, Rick Wakeman, Andy Latimer, Alex Lifeson, etc. I would have loved to have met Richard Wright and Pete Bardens as well.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 23:04
Be sure to check out if your local music stores invite musicians in to hold clinics!  I met Mike Keneally that way & had a great chat with him about when he appeared onstage with Fripp during the G3 tour in 2004.  Keneally soloed over Fripp's soundscapes, it was amazing!!  
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 12:01
Not sure if what I'm going to write here are counting as connections, but so far are the following:
One time in my radio show I invited as guest Stuart Nicholson, the singer of Galahad in order to present one of their albums. He logged in and listen to the whole 2 hours of my show, plus 1 extra hour on which we were just having fun. (football, favorite musicians etc). After that, every now and then he logs in to listen to my show and in order to have a chat. Twice he logged in together with Galahad's keyboard player Dean Spencer. Further than that we are communicating often with e-mails, and once he offered me a pass for one concert they were giving I don't remember where, but I was dramatically broke! :(
  Next, I had as guests in my radio show Chris Wade from Dodson & Fogg, both guys from Spiral Key, and lately Sonja-Kristina from Curved Air. (In her case we extended the show for almost 40 minutes because we were all having great time).
 That's all so far, but I think there will be more very soon... (I hope so at least)...

Edited by The Jester - May 31 2014 at 12:05
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:25
I have met lots of prog musicians over the years. I also have lots of autographed cds but at some point I stopped doing that. I corresponded with two bands in particular because I did interviews with them. I had planned on doing more interviews and spoke to several bands about it but one bad experience from a certain nameless band ruined it all for me.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - June 03 2014 at 00:26
auxfnx View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 08:10
I have remixed music for Bosnian Rainbows (Omar Rodriguez Lopez & Deantoni Parks of the Mars Volta are in that band)! Spoke to the band each time they were in Ireland, even sorted some smoke for them ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>