Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheeto's Magazine (Spain) for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheeto's Magazine (Spain) for Crossover Prog
    Posted: May 05 2014 at 01:41

Cheeto's Magazine are the band formed in El Prat De Llobregat, Spain, 2004  Cheeto's Magazine are Esteban Navarro: Lead vocals, keyboards
Manel Orella: Guitars, vocals
Dídac García: Bass, vocals
Matías Lizana: Keyboards, vocals, drums
Eric Rovira: Drums, vocals, guitars

Recorded at Abuelita Studios
Produced, engineered and mixed by Stefano Macarrone
Mastered by Stefano Macarrone at Abuelita Studios 

released 20 April 2014 

Esteban Navarro
Matias Lizana
Manel Orella
Didac García
Eric Rovira 

Additional musicians:
Paula Ribó - Additional vocals on Nova America, The Driver
And The Cat, Teddy Bears, Naughty Boy and Driver French
Ninu López - Additional vocals on Nova America and Naughty Boy
Sergi Felipe - Sax on Nova America and Naughty Boy
Stefano Macarrone - The mutest guitar on Driver French

Edited by Svetonio - May 05 2014 at 04:54
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 03:00
Moved to unsigned bands.
No real web presence outside of the one they've created for themselves.
You know this Svetonio, come on.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 04:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Moved to unsigned bands.
No real web presence outside of the one they've created for themselves.
You know this Svetonio, come on.

I know the rules for the new bands suggestions, Guldbamsen. There is nothing like "real web presence outside of the one they've created for themselves. "

Quote First, please only suggest bands that have released at least one album and are compatible with our definition of an "official release." If the band is signed to a label, it is almost guaranteed this band fits this definition, but if the band is self-signed, please ensure that the band has recorded their music professionally or in a professional manner and has their music available for purchase or download from a respected source. The availability of a physical medium is preferred, but bands whose music is available solely on iTunes, BandCamp, or a similar website will also be accepted. If bands do not have an official release, feel free to create a thread in the unsigned bands subforum.

Second, prepare a suggestion.

You have two options to create a suggestion

1) Use the defined Suggest New Bands/Artists subforum.
This subforum is monitored by collaborators who will listen to your suggestions and alert the proper genre team of your suggested band. The genre team will then take your suggestion and evaluate them to determine whether your band is eligible for addition.
PLEASE make the suggestion checker's job easy by creating well-thought out, thorough suggestion threads. Here is a good procedure to follow:

Title: BAND NAME - POSSIBLE SUBGENRE (ex. Genesis - Symphonic prog)
    Start with some basic biographical information about the band (ex. Genesis was formed in 1967...)
    Provide streamable samples of the band's music that checkers and team members can listen to (ex. youtube videos, BandCamp pages, Soundcloud links, MySpace, Facebook, ReverbNation, etc)
    If you have listenable material that would aid in evaluation, you can upload these in .zip or .rar format to file sending websites such as sendspace.com and send them to the team leader of the genre that you are suggesting the band should be evaluated under. A list of team leaders can be found at the end of the post here.
    Provide links to the bands official website, websites that have written about the band, or helpful links in general.

This is a phenomenal example of a great suggestion thread.
One a monitor checks your suggestion, a genre team will look at it next. Evaluation could take anywhere from a few days to a few months depending on how busy a genre team is.

2) Use the email suggestion method, written by Uwe (Rivertree)
Collect sound samples and other helpful information, as stated below. Create a ZIP or RAR archive with all this included, upload it to a free filesharing service (RAPIDSHARE.com is actually recommended because very fast all around the globe) and finally forward the download link to [email protected] as well as your explanation of why this band/artist should be added to ProgArchives and in which sub-genre

necessary information
    please provide some full songs (no clips/excerpts) with acceptable quality (not less than 128 k/bits) for evaluation and streaming. If you want to send a promo CD you'll get back a reply containing a valid postal address. These samples will of course only made available for streaming with permission from copyright holders.

helpful information
    - website, MySpace as well as other related links with useful informations or reviews
    - band biography (in English)
    - an artist picture with a scale of 500 pixel as possible
    - the complete band/artist discography (album titles, cover art, line-up, tracklisting plus track times) as possible

Once the email has arrived, the Band Submissions Team will check the information and forward the request to the prefered sub-genre team which will evaluate then.
Please use this email address only for submitting bands for inclusion. Inquiries about the progress or other issues will be ignored.

Using the first option is usually preferred.

Suggesting a band can seem like a tedious and time consuming ordeal, but we all appreciate your contribution to the site and beg patience as team members evaluate bands. No collaborator is paid, so all evaluations are done on volunteered time. One way to help speed evaluation is to provide a biography.

I provided all necessary things for one valid suggestion.
The band's debut is nicely created progressive rock, full-lenght album which also contain 25 min long epic song; it is recorded in a professional studio.
So this suggestion is 100% legitimate.
I wanna know - why you do this?
Do you think that this is good for the Archives?
Sorry, but I don't think so.

Edited by Svetonio - May 05 2014 at 04:26
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 04:35
The problem with you, is that you forget everything we've ever talked about, when it suits your agenda.
We have talked about this before - not just me, but several collaborators.
Is the band signed? No.
Do they have any mentions on the internet except for something they themselves have created? No.
Again, this is something we have explained to you a hundred times before, but you won't listen.
I'm out.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 04:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The problem with you, is that you forget everything we've ever talked about, when it suits your agenda.
We have talked about this before - not just me, but several collaborators.
Is the band signed? No.
Do they have any mentions on the internet except for something they themselves have created? No.
Again, this is something we have explained to you a hundred times before, but you won't listen.
I'm out.
The band are self-signed what is actually allowed as per rules (i.e. the band's debut album is well executed) posted above and everybody can see (read) that. 

Oh and Guldbamsen, Cheeto's Magazine has other web presence ( http://kedin.es/barcelona/que-hacer/conciertos-indie-concierto-de-cheetos-magazine-y-cortometraje-en-la-sala-becool-en-sarria-sant-gervasi.html ) on the page which is not made by themselfs. Above photo is taken from there. I didn't posted the text in the opening post because the text is in Spanish and I have to give it that Google translation, but I will do it now so please move back this thread  where it belongs as per rules.

edit:
Quote Cheeto’s Magazine inició su andadura en 2004 como un dueto de humor progresivo muy quesito. Esteban Navarro (miembro de los burros Venga M

Cheeto’s Magazine inició su andadura en 2004 como un dueto de humor progresivo muy quesito. Esteban Navarro (miembro de los burros Venga Monjas y de la rompedora banda Johny Price) y Manel Orella (inventor del Clamoxil y Vicksvaporub) fueron los pimientos de lo que acabaría siendo una alternativa al típico grupo de música de un colmado. Con tan solo un teclado, una guitarra y cuatro nociones de baile latino, su espectáculo dejaba boquiabiertos tanto a jóvenes como a más maduros.

Los nanos decidieron ampliar la samba hasta convertirse en una banda musical plenamente formada. A finales del 2006 se incorporan al proyecto Joan Muntané a la batería y Dídac García a los bajos elásticos. Después de poco más de un año afianzándose como grupo y componiendo material original, salen a conquistar el mundo con su explosiva mezcla de rock progresivo, comedia hilarante y un exquisito gusto por la alta cocina.

Concierto de Cheeto's Magazine y Cortometraje. Sala BeCool. Viernes 10 de diciembre a las 21.00 horas. Entradas en taquilla.

"Cheeto 's Magazine began in 2004 as a duet quesito very progressive humor. Esteban Navarro (Member of the Nuns Come donkeys and groundbreaking band Johny Price) and Manuel Orellana ( inventor of Clamoxil and Vicksvaporub ) peppers were what would become an alternative to typical music group a grocery store. With just a keyboard, a guitar and four notions of Latin dance , let her show shocked both young and more mature.

The nanos samba decided to expand into a fully formed band. In late 2006, Joan join the project Muntané drums and Garcia Dídac elastic low. After just over a year as a group holding fast and composing original material, set out to conquer the world with his explosive mix of progressive rock , hilarious comedy and an exquisite taste for haute cuisine.

Concert Cheeto 's Magazine and Short . Sala BeCool . Friday, December 10th at 21.00 . Tickets at the box office." 

(Google translate)

Edited by Svetonio - May 05 2014 at 04:56
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 07:15
I've listened to this band and to be fair, they do fit the description " If the band is signed to a label, it is almost guaranteed this band fits this definition, but if the band is self-signed, please ensure that the band has recorded their music professionally or in a professional manner and has their music available for purchase or download from a respected source. " as this is undoubtedly recorded in a professional manner and is available on a respected source (i.e. bandcamp) " bands whose music is available solely on iTunes, BandCamp, or a similar website will also be accepted. "

Even if they do sound like a in-house publication for a crisp manufacturer.

Edited by chopper - May 05 2014 at 07:17
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 16:24
I guess I really shouldn't be poking my nose in here, and whilst David is absolutely correct in pointing out that there is little on the web for these guys at the moment, if you can cope with the somewhat 'off the wall' vocals then this is a damn fine album indeed!!

I feel that we should also consider that the band has a healthy 710 'likes' on facebook, from where I copied this little converstion:

David Elliot is the presenter of The European Perspective Progressive Rock podcast on the Dividing Line Broadcast Network, a show which is a highly regarded outlet for all things prog (and European). He is currently doing his personal selection of the 200 albums that have 'made' British and European progressive rock since the start of the 21st century, which will take up the next five shows, but I'm pretty sure that thias album will be featured on there soon enough.

I reckon the word will soon spread around the Internet, and the band's web presence will indeed grow.

I'd be tempted to let the Crossover boys take a listen. This project reminds me in many ways of another fine somewhat 'off the wall' Spanish band that Svetonio found for us, namely One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour Lab 

If it helps at all, there is another web page with the band bio in Spanish that Svetonio google-translated for us above here: http://www.casadelamusica.cat/es/salamandra/banco_de_grupos/349/Cheetos_Magazine.

Smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 20:40
^ Thank you, Yam Yam  Thumbs Up
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 21:06
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've listened to this band and to be fair, they do fit the description " If the band is signed to a label, it is almost guaranteed this band fits this definition, but if the band is self-signed, please ensure that the band has recorded their music professionally or in a professional manner and has their music available for purchase or download from a respected source. " as this is undoubtedly recorded in a professional manner and is available on a respected source (i.e. bandcamp)  bands whose music is available solely on iTunes, BandCamp, or a similar website will also be accepted.
Even if they do sound like a in-house publication for a crisp manufacturer.

Exactly.
Thank you, chopper
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 06:29
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I guess I really shouldn't be poking my nose in here, and whilst David is absolutely correct in pointing out that there is little on the web for these guys at the moment, if you can cope with the somewhat 'off the wall' vocals then this is a damn fine album indeed!!

I feel that we should also consider that the band has a healthy 710 'likes' on facebook, from where I copied this little converstion:

David Elliot is the presenter of The European Perspective Progressive Rock podcast on the Dividing Line Broadcast Network, a show which is a highly regarded outlet for all things prog (and European). He is currently doing his personal selection of the 200 albums that have 'made' British and European progressive rock since the start of the 21st century, which will take up the next five shows, but I'm pretty sure that thias album will be featured on there soon enough.

I reckon the word will soon spread around the Internet, and the band's web presence will indeed grow.

I'd be tempted to let the Crossover boys take a listen. This project reminds me in many ways of another fine somewhat 'off the wall' Spanish band that Svetonio found for us, namely One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour Lab 

If it helps at all, there is another web page with the band bio in Spanish that Svetonio google-translated for us above here: http://www.casadelamusica.cat/es/salamandra/banco_de_grupos/349/Cheetos_Magazine.

Smile
I was part of the esteemed Mr Elliott's FB thread as well. If it's prog enough for him then it's prog enough for me.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 06:33
Added to the Crossover chart.

I like them!
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 08:20
And for all those with an interest in how things pan out: http://progfreak.com/Cheeto-s-Magazine-159024.html?path=pa/recentThumbs Up
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 15:23
It's Spock's Beard meets Gentle Giant (most of the music) meets dance-pop (on 3 tracks).
Guldbamsen: what's going on with all those attacks towards Svetonio? I think Svetonio is improving considerably this site with all his suggestions. In today's world, a lot of bands self-produce their music. I write for the french webzine Clair & Obscure which is very respectable in the world of prog music and which proposes tons of reviews of self-produced music. 
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 15:42
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Guldbamsen: what's going on with all those attacks towards Svetonio? I think Svetonio is improving considerably this site with all his suggestions. In today's world, a lot of bands self-produce their music. 

Well then you are one of the few.
In the early days when I used to frequent PA, one could read reviews from a wide spread of the collaborators, but sadly those days are gone, because most of them use up all their time evaluating Svetonios suggestions, that in the end wind up as ghosts in the archives that no one bothers with. I applaud you for sticking up for him, but if this site has to accomodate every little bandcamp act with a progressive tag, then our collabs end up as accountants doing nothing but adding bands, that exactly 10 people care about. So yeah, I am more of a fan of PA and the folks who try to make it go round, than a fan of somebody who wants us to be a listings site, where the work is all and fun is something you do, when you log off.
Also, you haven't participated in or seen half the story Lucas, so please don't make Svetonio out to be something he definitely is not.

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 05:46
Cheeto's Magazine are cleared in Crossover Thumbs Up A brief bio exists in Svetonio's Google-translated text earlier in the thread, but I found this article in Spanish about the band which may contain more, if anyone fluent in Spanish could be so kind...  Embarrassed

Thanks!! Thumbs Up
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 00:28
Beer
progstreaming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 12:59
They are also on Progstreaming. Maybe that counts for something? Syn-Phonic asked me their email, and it received numerous plays and likes. I think they are just great.
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 02:41
Cheeto's Magazine added to Crossover
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 06:35