Topic ClosedRick Wakeman at the BIC 3rd May 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman at the BIC 3rd May 2014
    Posted: May 05 2014 at 11:23
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth at Bourmemouth International Centre 

I guess The BIC holds about 3,000 people and it was virtually full although not a complete sell out. The concert (not really a 'gig') was split into 2 parts. The first part was Rick on stage with his piano keyboard and he played 4 songs. This was a chance for him to talk about his influences and also an opportunity to introduce his two main singers Ashley Holt and Hayley 'Strictly' Sanderson. The 'Strictly' bit is what Rick calls her as she has been one of the singers on BBC's Strictly Come Dancing. They had some reparte about Strictly and Rick confirmed he will never be appearing on it! She sung Bowie's Life On Mars for which Rick contributed piano on the original version. He also played Eleanor Rigby 'in the style of Prokoviev' and Morning Has Broken featuring the English Chamber Choir. I have completely forgotten the song he played with Ashley but it was from the sixties and relates to the time when they were in a band together. Long time friends and a right couple of reprobates  going by the various anecdotes. Goose-stepping through Munich airport and humming the Dambusters March in the plane coming in are priceless. They were held by the German authorities for over 20 hours LOL (this was in 1974)

The second part of the gig featured the new version of Journey. It was perhaps not the biggest stage to get an orchestra, choir and band on but they just about managed it. There was a throne at the back of the stage for the narrator (actor Philip Franks who did a fine job). Rick came on stage with his trademark cape to enthusiastic cheers ( much better than the tired old suit he wore for the first part) and soon we were off. I've never been to the BIC before but the sound quality from the  inhouse PA was superb. Two big speakers suspended front of stage did a fantastic job. I was about 6 rows back and there was never any hint of distortion. Everything clear as a bell and Tony Fernandez on drums never sounding better. My only slight criticism is that the keyboards could have been a bit higher in the overall sound mix perhaps.

I suppose there are questions on whether the new extended album is any good. There are bits that feel tagged on and it never quite flows as it should. You are always waiting for Rick to play a solo even though the choir and orchestra are very nice. However this is a unique live event so it's not necessary to get too picky. Very enjoyable . Couldn't fault much. The encore included a few songs from Return To The Centre Of The Earth , a few of the more rockier tracks and they were a lot of fun.

8/10

Edited by richardh - May 05 2014 at 11:25
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 21:10
Great. Let's see how much he tours this show. I remember him writing that the show and visual efects would be huge... even going to compare the projections with what Waters did on "The Wall", so I'd be interested to know how well he nailed it. I guess they were not quiet as big, otherwise they would have earned a place in the review. I hope he makes an album out of this tour... specially the first part songs sound rather interesting to be able to get on CD.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 01:29
I might have been a bit drunk or something but I don't remember any visual projections at all. Has to be said that I didn't have the best view being so close as the raised stage made it hard for me to see everything.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 21:40
Perhaps this show wasn't exactly part of the tour I read about... or perhaps it was just wishful thinking on his part. Projections and show to rival The Wall would have to be noticed, otherwise it's just a huge failure.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 01:22
I saw Waters at the O2 in London do The Wall but then that was a much bigger venue. I expect it was wishfull thinking on Rick's part.
Anyway I wonder if Rick will tour King Arthur (not necessarily on ice) next? I think that is a better album , much stronger content.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 21:14
Me too. He's been saying for years he wants to tour that, or at least that he wants to play it with orchestra here in Mexico. If he really did that, there's no way I would miss it, Arthur is one of my favourite albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply