Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTriumvirat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:04
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

That could be a whole new thread: '70's prog acts that were on either ABC's In Concert or NBC's Midnight Special. Anyway, I missed Triuvirat on the former but did actually see a billboard along the freeway leading into Fresno, Calif. during a mid-'70s camping trip to Yosemite that advertised the band's Old Loves Die Hard album.

Those were the days!
Inceptional View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:27
Hi Rednight

I don't remember too many actual prog bands being broadcast. Rock bands yes but prog was few and far between. I remember seeing Focus and Procol Harum and I think PFM. I also vividly remember a special concert that was broadcast of Rick Wakeman doing the entire Journey LP. It was complete with orchestra and the narrator who was sitting in a big suspended wicker chair reading the narrative. The old movie with Pat Boone was playing on a big screen in the background. Pretty cool as I remember.

In line with your billboard memory I also have one. I remember being stunned when a local newscast was using Wall of Doom as lead out music before a commercial for an entire summer. The first time I heard it I could not believe it. Everything was so mainstream on TV back then.  I was floored when I heard it.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:42
^^Those are interesting memories, guys. I am 51, so was too young around the early to mid seventies to really understand things the way you older blokes did. I do have a dvd with some footage of Gentle Giant from 1975 with the In Concert backdrop. It's called Giant On The Box, and also a dvd with a bit of Wishbone Ash In Concert footage from 1973 which is called Phoenix Rising. My only direct tv prog memories from the early seventies were Edgar Winter doing Frankenstein around '73, and a snippet of ELP with Emerson going at his keyboard in around '73, as well. I did not discover T'rat until around 1985, after they stopped touring and recording.

Edited by presdoug - August 27 2014 at 16:59
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 10:20
Originally posted by Inceptional Inceptional wrote:

Hi RednightI don't remember too many actual prog bands being broadcast. Rock bands yes but prog was few and far between. I remember seeing Focus and Procol Harum and I think PFM. I also vividly remember a special concert that was broadcast of Rick Wakeman doing the entire Journey LP. It was complete with orchestra and the narrator who was sitting in a big suspended wicker chair reading the narrative. The old movie with Pat Boone was playing on a big screen in the background. Pretty cool as I remember.In line with your billboard memory I also have one. I remember being stunned when a local newscast was using Wall of Doom as lead out music before a commercial for an entire summer. The first time I heard it I could not believe it. Everything was so mainstream on TV back then.  I was floored when I heard it.

Your memories are my memories, although I believe I did see Yes on a Midnight Special once (I have a feeling there's some website on the show's broadcasts that may prove me wrong). As for Rick Wakeman's Journey', it was the late English actor David Hemmings who provided the narration on the recording and, I believe the In Concert special. With the word "believe" being used here, I could be wrong again, but were talking about 40 years ago here. Bring me my rocking chair.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 21:09
Hold off on the rocking chair.  I BELIEVE you are right about Hemmings although I don't remember Yes. You might want to lend me the chair though because I now believe I remember 2 more. Hawkwind (doing Master of The Universe) and Strawbs (Hero and Heroin era). I just can't remember if it was TV or a very early video cassette. Help if you can.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:29
I only have the 'classic 3', Illusions, Spartacus and Mediterranean Tales, all of them great albums, Illusions being my favourite.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:02
I just listened to A La Carte in it's entirety, and concur and agree with Inceptional's observations. My fave songs are Waterfall and For You as they are structurally the most broad and expansive songs on the album, and A Bavarian In New York, where Fritz's keyboard skills come to the fore the most, and OCSID where there is the greatest instrumental "group synergy" present. The album is well produced, accessible and has a good flow to it musically. The vocals are nice as well.

Edited by presdoug - August 30 2014 at 13:10
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 17:43

Hold off on the rocking chair.  I BELIEVE you are right about Hemmings although I don't remember Yes. You might want to lend me the chair though because I now believe I remember 2 more. Hawkwind (doing Master of The Universe) and Strawbs (Hero and Heroin era). I just can't remember if it was TV or a very early video cassette. Help if you can.

I'd like to back up and say it was on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert where I saw Yes, not the Midnight Special. I think the former was where you might have seen at least the Strawbs, eh, sonny!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:19
Thank you for backing me up. I also wanted to mention one other observation on Ala Carte. I consider all aspects of an album. Each has a unique personality. Although the music is the most important part, the other elements somehow should reflect or enhance the listening experience. Having said that I will now make my point. Sometimes the album cover can contribute to what you are about to listen to and the cover for A La Carte is so very spot on. The music on A La Carte has a very festive, out for a elegant evening  feel to it that the cover photo captures perfectly. Doug, I would like to know if it hit you the same way.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:20
Ehh? What did he say?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 20:19

Thank you for backing me up. I also wanted to mention one other observation on Ala Carte. I consider all aspects of an album. Each has a unique personality. Although the music is the most important part, the other elements somehow should reflect or enhance the listening experience. Having said that I will now make my point. Sometimes the album cover can contribute to what you are about to listen to and the cover for A La Carte is so very spot on. The music on A La Carte has a very festive, out for a elegant evening  feel to it that the cover photo captures perfectly. Doug, I would like to know if it hit you the same way.
Yes, it does. I will add that the cover and music both have what I feel is a "Continental European vibe" to it. Though I've never visited Europe, that album's music and cover remind me of what I envisage Europe to feel like, in a way. I would love to visit Germany!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 22:48
It seems we are in accord. Even the title indicates what to expect in a way. Rather than a set that is pre determined like a meal, each song has a different influence and it is like a pick and choose order of songs, hence, A La Carte.

JellySucker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 05:38
Regarding to Triumvirat, i'm curious. Have you tried their first album before? It's named "Mediterranian Tales" if i am not mistaken. It's quite good in my opinion
I print dank quality M E M E stickers ° ͜ʖ ͡ -
last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jellypanini
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProgRockTime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12