Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThumbs up or down on album reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thumbs up or down on album reviews
    Posted: May 06 2014 at 15:53
Just a thought after reading some album reviews I don't necessarily agree with.

It may be useful and also popular to have P.A. followers give a thumbs up or a thumbs down to a particular album review. This may help to give a more reliably consensus whether or not a review is agreed by the majority or minority.

I realize everyone has their own opinion but if a particular album has been getting mostly 4 to 5 starts and a reviewer gives 1 star this may help him see if his reasons stated in the review are compelling or not and also vice versa where a generally poor consensus suddenly gets a 5 star review which I believe is more common.

Anyway just throwing this idea out there and welcome any comments.

Cheers to all.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 16:30
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Just a thought after reading some album reviews I don't necessarily agree with.

It may be useful and also popular to have P.A. followers give a thumbs up or a thumbs down to a particular album review. This may help to give a more reliably consensus whether or not a review is agreed by the majority or minority.

I realize everyone has their own opinion but if a particular album has been getting mostly 4 to 5 starts and a reviewer gives 1 star this may help him see if his reasons stated in the review are compelling or not and also vice versa where a generally poor consensus suddenly gets a 5 star review which I believe is more common.

Anyway just throwing this idea out there and welcome any comments.

Cheers to all.

Boy, don't we all wish we had a "Review-the-Reviewer" option for newspaper and magazine rock critics who regularly attack prog albums? I would want a "pound sand" option. Wink

Anyway, I don't particularly care for the option you are suggesting for PA. If someone offers a reasoned and well-written critique of an album, why punish him/her for harboring an opposing view? Someone is bound to get hundreds of thumbs up for praising a certain Gabriel-led Genesis album just as someone would get as many thumbs down for desecrating a King Crimson album with sacrilegious opinions. We don't want a popularity contest for reviews. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 17:12
^completely agree with you Dark Elf.

Also, why not use the already existing reviews discussion? Or if you really dig a review, then highlight it in Sagi's "I really like your review!!!" thread.
Let's not go down the Facebook path of 'likes'-galore. I fear it would blow up in our faces.....and what's all this about having to 'rate' everything? It's practically everywhere I look in modern media. "Nice somersault! I'll give it a 3.5"
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:41
Sounds a lot like Amazon's feature of "Was this Review Helpful? Yes/No"  Which isn't a bad idea in itself, if there are 500 reviews of an album and a newbie wants to know which one to read first.  But more than likely, it'll be used to rate the album rather than the review - e.g. a well written review gives 2 stars to Joe's favorite album, so he votes "NAY!" on that review.  Then all the discussion and flak that will ensue from there.   

It's not a bad idea, but good intentions often turn to nightmares around here.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Also, why not use the already existing reviews discussion? Or if you really dig a review, then highlight it in Sagi's "I really like your review!!!" thread.
Let's not go down the Facebook path of 'likes'-galore.

I think reviews discussion and "I really like your review!!!" thread are not for everybody. You have to have the time and will to discuss some review or to explain why you like it. Too much effort in many cases. And the review should be extraordinary to force the reader to send PM to reviewer.

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback. With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review. Why not to have this harmless feature?

Edited by NotAProghead - May 06 2014 at 18:57
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:47
Pass from me as well. There are already sufficient options to express your opinion on other peoples opinions IMO.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 04:25
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback.
It will be a kind of an ambiguous feedback. There are different, subjective degrees of praise and criticism. Why round them up to a thumb down or a thumb up and just leave it at that? The thumbs will leave a lot to be desired. Besides, at what point does "take it or leave it" not kick in?

With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review.
Some people don't read reviews in their entirety, and having this system would be useless. I wouldn't assume any large benefit of the wisdom for any reviews from the people who frequent this site.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 06:36

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Let's not go down the Facebook path of 'likes'-galore.

I think reviews discussion and "I really like your review!!!" thread are not for everybody. You have to have the time and will to discuss some review or to explain why you like it. Too much effort in many cases. And the review should be extraordinary to force the reader to send PM to reviewer.

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback. With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review. Why not to have this harmless feature?

Like I said, I'm really not a fan of the whole 'likes' thing on Facebook. More than anything, I find it irritating. You can't post anything - or just be online without people asking/pleading you to 'like' something. When you don't people start getting insulted.... and what does a simple thumbs up say about anything really? 
As for the already existing threads: one doesn't need to post a full synopsis of X review. A lot of the times I see people just making a quick shout-out to highlight a given album. "Hey Bernhard!! I really loved your Torman Maxt review here the other day!"
Doesn't need to be anything more than that. 
As for the reviews discussion - at least you get some kind of bearing on what people think of X review. Seeing a thumbs down on your review doesn't tell you anything other than the person who rated you didn't like it. On here you at least get an explanation.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 07:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Sounds a lot like Amazon's feature of "Was this Review Helpful? Yes/No"  Which isn't a bad idea in itself, if there are 500 reviews of an album and a newbie wants to know which one to read first.  But more than likely, it'll be used to rate the album rather than the review - e.g. a well written review gives 2 stars to Joe's favorite album, so he votes "NAY!" on that review.  Then all the discussion and flak that will ensue from there.   

It's not a bad idea, but good intentions often turn to nightmares around here.
This is exaclty how I read this as well. I think there is good intention in the OP, but also likely that the function would not work as intended
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 07:24
Reading my posts back I think I may have come on a bit strong, but that's essentially how I feel. Wasn't meant to denigrate the OPs intentionsEmbarrassed 

One thing though: how often do you see changes in the forum software? I mean, we've had some really good ideas on how to better the site, like the add on of half stars, using individual album tagging etc, -some of which are ideas which have been discussed the past 6-8 years, yet even if we all seem to agree on these things, nothing really happens, because in the end it is up to one guy. 
Oh well we can dreamWink

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback.
It will be a kind of an ambiguous feedback. There are different, subjective degrees of praise and criticism. Why round them up to a thumb down or a thumb up and just leave it at that? The thumbs will leave a lot to be desired. Besides, at what point does "take it or leave it" not kick in?

With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review.
Some people don't read reviews in their entirety, and having this system would be useless. I wouldn't assume any large benefit of the wisdom for any reviews from the people who frequent this site.

Existing forms of feedback on PA, except PMs, don't have direct connection to reviews. I don't think many people visit discussion reviews threads. If the review is written long time ago I can't imagine someone will search through the forum whether it has been discussed.

A simple "Thanks" (or "Like") button near a review could indicate at least some interest (ot the lack of it) to each review. I think it would be useful, though I can live without it. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 00:28
I wouldn't want this option in place for fear of gaining too many 'thumb downs' - it would hurt my already cracked ego.......(but then I review once a blue moon and no-one probably notices anyway......)
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 00:51
Definitely NO! The biggest reason why I haven't signed into Facebook is that I see the thumbing culture so banal and stupid. Of course the nature of Facebook - and social media by and large - just happens to be such, and I deeply wish that our dear ProgArchives keeps away from those banalities.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 01:00
^ Good point--  it is a bit common
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:36
So you, guys, write reviews and don't give a sh*t whether they are read or not? Right?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:52
^ Ok, how about this: a number of views that only you can see ... ? Other people don't want to know how many times your review has been read.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 08 2014 at 14:54
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:49
^ Will not work. How to count views without a button if the review is read on the main page or on the album page?

And why so secretly? I prefer to see the number of likes (or views, no matter) for other people reviews. In order to compare my impression with others. Pure curiosity, nothing more. Smile 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:52
Touché, evidently.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 08 2014 at 19:52
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:30
Let's revive this. I posted this in a thread that was so derailed it was moved to Just For Fun. This is not for fun, so here goes....

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

There is no need to put rules on reviews, but having something in place to have them judged visibly by readers could be beneficial. I'm thinking along the lines of having a feature (beyond a Facebook like button) to rate reviews, or vote them up/down would help in different ways:

• serious reviewers would get feedback on whether or not their reviews are appreciated
  • bad reviewers (fanboy reviews, or malicious ones - if these latter exist at all) will get the same
  • readers looking for info will be able to judge review(er)s themselves and select the ones their fellow readers appreciate most

Similar features exist on Amazon, ProgPlanet, and other places - and why not? It encourages reviewers to improve their skills and readers to find useful information.

But what's the point of writing this here, now that this has been moved to Just For Fun.... 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 02:06
^ I agree that from a visitor perspective there is nothing currently available that provides any indication of which reviewers are considered more credible than others (apart from the Prog Reviewer/Forum Senior Member demarcation) Is there a danger however, that if we had some sort of 'league table' which measured the perceived worth of the reviewers work, those occupying the lower positions would become disheartened and stop submitting reviews? Although this might reduce fanboy/disingenuous reviews it might also tempt more members to reach for the 'rating only' button rather than risk some visible negative feedback?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>