Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (77)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [25.00%]
1 [12.50%]
2 [25.00%]
3 [37.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (77)
    Posted: May 06 2014 at 16:14
Anaid : Four Years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z-0RQo9lpg

Laurelie : St
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNgIYP8wQA8

Nanu Urwert : Irgendwo Nicht Weit Von Heir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--KbUShcUY

Nels Cline : Dirty Baby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf5aqQcPbaA
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 16:17

Nels Cline: Dirty Baby

By John Garratt 3 November 2010
PopMatters Associate Music Editor

Nels Cline’s liner notes to Dirty Baby do such a good job of providing context that I’m fighting temptation to basically retype them. But here’s the short of it: poet/arts philanthropist David Breskin appointed guitar madman Cline to compose music accompanying a series of works by Los Angeles artist Ed Ruscha. Cryptogramophone thrusts the whole package at you in a study cardboard box with two booklets containing 66 images as well as photos of the recording session. If there is one thing you ought to take away from this review, it is this; if you thought that Nels Cline, the Albert Ayler of the guitar, was already pretty diverse and talented, he just took it to the next level without even asking you. The line between Cline’s talents for composing and the inspiration from Ruscha’s painting gets a little fuzzy, and that’s just one of the things that makes Dirty Baby a true work of art.

The music is divided into two CDs, each side corresponding to a different series of works by Ed Ruscha. Side A’s visual influence is the Silhouette paintings; muted shapes of recognizable objects so vivid, they could pass for impressionistic photographs. Side B has the Cityscapes to work with, looking like an exercise meant to mock “censor” blocks over inappropriate images and words. Understandably, the two sides have very different identities. The first disc has six untitled tracks that flow in and out of structure, placing mood and composition on equal tiers. By itself, the music can veer from crazy to beautiful while hitting all points in between. If listened to while perusing the Ruscha paintings, it can be a downright breathtaking match. Even if they don’t follow a strict sequence, per se. The second disc is a 33-track whiplash. Working within the framework of having short pieces representing stark images, most “songs” hover around the one-minute mark while sharing the painting’s aggressive titles: “Little Snitches Like You End Up in Dumpsters All Across Town”, “I’ll Be Getting Out Soon and I Haven’t Forgot Your Testimony Put Me in Here”, “You Talk You Get Killed”, you get the idea. The soundtrack to Cityscapes should not sound all that shocking to someone who has ever had a steady listening diet of John Zorn’s Naked City.

Nels Cline’s selection of musicians is also something to behold. The usual suspects from his band the Nels Cline Singers, Scott Amendola and Devon Hoff, are both present as well as Cline’s twin brother Alex. But Dirty Baby becomes something more distinct in Cline’s catalog thanks to contributions from keyboardist Jon Brion, saxophonist/flautist Vinny Golia, trumpeter Dan Clucas and violinist/label boss Jeff Gauthier, just to name a few. All told, 15 musicians were able to record over 90 minutes of music in just three days. Holy cow.

There is a danger, when mixing media, of having one form of expression overshadow another. Or sometimes you have problems enjoying one aspect of the work when you don’t have the other pieces of the puzzle there. But Dirty Baby would still be compelling to a blind man. Sure, the paintings are powerful and speak volumes unto themselves, but the same can be said for Cline’s music. It has the ability to erase past Cline endeavors from your memory. Not because previous recordings weren’t excellent, but because the eclecticism of Dirty Baby makes for such a strong listening experience. You will be more fascinated than bewildered (though I can’t rule the latter word out for some listeners).

Nels Cline just kicked two double albums into our faces this year. And depending on your listening habits, they may be the two best things you get to hear all year.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 19:21
The German band Nanu Urwert for sho yo, with Anaid and Hugh Hopper second.Big smile
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 20:57
Thumbs Up. My choice, John. I'm totally under the charm of that wonderfull album. 

Nanu Urwerk - Irgendwo... Nicht Weit von Hier. 1978 Tonstudio Bieber. 

Highly creative fusion effort from unknown German band. Flute, trombone and electric piano are the primary instruments with a few nice guitar licks thrown in for good measure. There's also some interesting voices in German. It's hard to pin the tail on the donkey with this one, so easy reference calling is a tough challenge. Certainly an encyclopedic knowledge of the German fusion scene from 1976-1984 helps, and you may want to yell out "Mosaik" or "Surgery" to your puzzled friends. Zappa and Canterbury get cameos as well. Nevertheless, it's an album that needs repeated listening to fully appreciate, the perfect justification for a much needed reissue.CDRWL.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 00:54
The only one I'm familiar with is Nels Cline (but not that album). That's where my vote went but I really liked the Nanu Urwerk album too.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 01:14
This is the only one I know. Such a beautifull and risky album. Other samples here :

http://www.amazon.com/DIRTY-BABY-Nels-Cline/dp/B0040T79H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399442866&sr=8-1&keywords=nels+cline+dirty

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:04

Laurelie - s/t. 1970 Triangle. 

A surprisingly nice discovery for the time and place, and one of the big time Belgian rarities up there with Irish Coffee and Waterloo. Laurelie, musically speaking, could be considered the next level up from the large freakbeat movement that was all the rage in The Netherlands and Belgium in the late 1960s (groups like the Wallace Connection, for example). English vocals are a bit suspect, but the sophistication and exploration of ideas is considerably more than what is normally found in Continental Europe at such an early date. Wonderful fuzz guitar, old keyboard sounds and especially the flute drive the melodic and tonal contents. The 22 minute, multi-part closer has many great ideas. Holds up better than most. Bass player went on to Jenghiz Khan.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 00:45

Anaid biography
Anaid is composed of Emmanuelle Lionet (vocals), Jean-Max Delva (vibraphone), former Soft Machine member, (and Canterbury legend) Hugh Hopper (bass), Patrice Meyer (guitar), a keyboard player and a drummer. Their music has been compared to the first ZAO and to COS because of the powerful female vocalist, and sometimes to Gong (Expresso II period) because of the preponderance of vibraphone as well as the specific "tonal harmonies and melodies." They have also been linked to National Health regarding their thematic complexities, the swift and frequent breaks, and the often lush sonic atmosphere. 

Anaid released two albums, Vêtue De Noir in 1986, and Belladonna in 1989. Both of these LPs were re-released on a CD compilation by the AYAA label France in 1991, entitled Four Years (Vêtue De Noir was included in part, and the completeBelladonna). P.A. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0CLbJUiMI

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 09:21
Hey how come I didn't find any Anaid videos for the french poll?? weird.

Anyway although I like that Anaid album I was really impressed with Nels Cline, very cool stuff!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 09:28
^I really dig that Nels Cline stuff as well, which incidentally is where my vote went.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 09:34
Thanks guys. An essential stone in my poor collection of modern albums Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply