Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMonarch Trail (Canada): Neo/Symph

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch Trail (Canada): Neo/Symph
    Posted: May 08 2014 at 08:30
Monarch Trail is a new band masterminded by Canadian multi-instrumentalist Ken Baird, who we already have in Crossover: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=976.

Monarch Trail “Skye”

Sub Genre: Progressive Rock
Label: Perpetual Tree Music
Release date: April 2014

Tracklist:
1. Luminescence (11:15)
2. Silent World (8:21)
3. East of Fifty (6:11)
4. Sky Above the Sun (20:15)

Total Time 46:02

Line-up:
- Ken Baird / keyboards, vocals
- Chris Lamont / drums
- Dino Verginella / bass
With
- John Mamone / guitars on tracks 1,2 and 4
- Kelly Kereliuk / guitar on track 3
- Steve Cochrane / classical and 12-string guitar on track 4

Description/Reviews: Music from a "dark green world in places never seen", this debut album features four lengthy compositions that should appeal to anyone looking for something imaginative.

From https://www.facebook.com/monarchtrailmusic (and also the band's official website http://www.monarchtrail.com/):

"When keyboard player/vocalist Ken Baird had written some music which seemed to require more collaborative arrangements than usual, he asked drummer Chris Lamont and Bassist Dino Verginella if they’d be willing to be a part of “Monarch Trail”. Lamont had played on Baird’s previous three albums and Verginella on the previous two, so it was a natural thing that it could be called a group.

The first stage was to set up several rehearsals for the trio to work on arranging the new pieces. Important changes were made to the charts; an extra set of bars here, a new melody line there, a different tempo over there and so on. Even more importantly, these rehearsals also turned out to be a ton of fun with no lack of shenanigans!

They made the decision to start recording the music right away and add other musicians when needed. As it turned out, there was to be a fair bit of guitar on the record, so guitarist friends were brought in providing “the right part for the right track”. True to the spirit of the project, John Mamone, Kelly Kereliuk and Steve Cochrane all had major creative input on their solos and sections.

The recording was done by Ken Baird, but in the final months of the record, Cochrane also lent his studio and his recording and mastering abilities. Drawings by Annette Roche had initially helped inspire the lyrics, so these drawings ultimately became part of the album artwork.

And so here we have it, the first album from Monarch Trail: “Skye”!"

The band's official website has the first track 'Luminescence' streaming in full, plus a “Skye collage mix” featuring excerpts from all four songs: http://www.monarchtrail.com/.

These samples can also be listened to directly on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/monarch-trail.

Excellent stuff!

Cool  Approve
Buy the album at cdbaby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/monarchtrail.   Thumbs Up

Edit: Removed the video I originally embedded for track three 'East Of Fifty', since it was taken down from YouTube as explained below (it had been uploaded without the band's permission).  Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - May 09 2014 at 09:24
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 11:53
I love Ken Baird, this one sounds more Neo Progish than his solo output based on the displayed track.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 12:47
Yes indeed, Apostolis - Ken Baird's solo stuff is quite superb...and so is this Monarch Trail album - Neo Prog being exactly where I expect the band to find its eventual home on here. Thumbs Up
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 13:23
coolThumbs Up, I will bring this over to the Neo boys and return here hopefully with a final and positive decision.Cool

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 06:13
And the evaluation can be followed here: http://progfreak.com/Monarch-Trail-159029.html?path=pa/recentThumbs Up
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 07:07
Thanks guys! Oops, I actually just removed the "East of Fifty" video yesterday not knowing that there was a link to here where it may have been useful for a time for you guys to hear. Sorry about that although it had to go as I have no idea who put that video up--they certainly didn't ask us first. We WILL have videos up soon! Our plan was to release "East of Fifty" as a kind of "second single" in a few months. "Luminescence" was our choice for first release as it's more representative of the album at large and will be the first video we do.
Anyway, great to see that you found out about the new band and thank you for the support! I did the band submission process here but I have no idea if they're working on it, so every little bit helps.
I don't know much about genres really, so will leave it to the site to decide what we're doing. In my submission I put "crossover" but also said, "if you guys think it's a different genre like neo or symphonic, then we're ok with that".
Anyway, thanks for the interest--I hope there is a page for the band on here soon---I have a list of reviewers I want to send the CD to. :)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 07:21
I should also say that if anyone needs to hear full MP3s of the album, I can send you the same zip file that I sent to band submissions. Please send me an email at [email protected] or on here and I can send them to you, thanks!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 09:35
Thanks. I removed the obsolete video for 'East Of Fifty' I found on YouTube from my original post. Sorry for including it. Embarrassed
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 11:31
Hey, no big deal yam yam--if I'd known it was linked on here beforehand I would have left it for a while and got it removed later. I've shared similar videos and put "likes" on them in the past only to realise later that "hey, the band didn't put these up/probably doesn't want them up".

Videos from us will be coming soon! I wasn't expecting everything to move so fast this time---guess it's a good sign! Thanks again for the interest. BTW I was wondering if you knew any way I can tell whether the band submissions team is working on getting a page for Monarch Trail on here? They have the entire album, or rather they should do as I sent them a 128 MP3 of the whole record as the site requests although I don't know if they've picked it up yet.
Anyway, Cheers!

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:18
I shouldn't worry too much about your previous efforts to get included on the site via email to the Band Submissions Team. This Suggest New Bands and Artists forum is a much quicker way of achieving the same end result. Apostolis (apps79), who posted here yesterday, is the leader of the Neo Prog team, which is where the Band Submissions Team would in all probability have forwarded your proposal (and samples) to in any case. Before I actually joined the site as a member of the forums I used this method to get Konchordat added to the site, and it does work...but posting the information directly into this area of the forum short-circuits several stages of the process, and speeds it up considerably with the more active of our evaluation teams (some teams can take a while to evaluate and add an artist to the site whichever suggestion method is used LOL).

Neo team are pretty quick as a rule, and yours is the only suggestion they have to deal with at the moment, so it shouldn't take long at all to get you approved and added. In the event that they decide that Crossover would be a more appropriate sub genre for you, then they would automatically notify that team, and pass the samples that they have over to them. Crossover are also a very efficient team, and though their workload is considerably greater than Neo's is right now, there are five members who can take part in the evaluation process as opposed to just three in the Neo team, and 'yes' votes from any three of them would be enough to get you cleared.

The whole process can be followed by using the progfreak link I gave earlier in the thread (progfreak.com is a site some, but not all, of our teams use to keep track of their evaluations): http://progfreak.com/Monarch-Trail-159029.html?path=pa/recent. As it happens, Matti has just given you your first 'yes' vote in the last 10 minutes! Approve

It shouldn't take long at all now! Thumbs Up
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 13:47
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

As it happens, Matti has just given you your first 'yes' vote in the last 10 minutes! Approve

It shouldn't take long at all now! Thumbs Up
...make these two!Smile

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 13:52
Thanks so much, guys! Please let me know if the third person needs any MP3 from me, thanks!

Ken
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 02:12
End of process, welcome on PA Monarch TrailClaphttp://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8865

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 06:36
Thanks Apostolis, looks really good!Thanks also to yam yam and to Matti and psarros for voting us in--and if I missed anybody, thanks to you as well! Reviews on the way!
Ken

Edited by january4mn - May 11 2014 at 06:37
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 09:00
ClapHug
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply