Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSymphonic Progressive Rock Appreciation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 04:30
Taking that picture into consideration then heavy overcoats, snow and boots are all part of the symph prog zeitgeist!!!
Of course when that was taken ELP were WAY past their BEST!!!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 07:20
Symph Prog Rock you can NEVER SAY DIE !

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 11:07
But isn't that a heavy-metal album by Sabbath???
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 11:14
oH YEAh ! Kind of a coincidence you also pointed out, btw i've realized that right immediately after posting it...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 12:42
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Personally I think it's left-handed people and folks who adore asparagus that are mostly into symph. It used to be my second fave sub, back when I first started frequenting PA, but then I dropped the asparagus because my female friend at the time claimed it made my fluids stink....go figure.
Nah, I think there are just as many Ethiopian bodybuilders into symph as there are Norwegian flamenco dancers. No such thing as one common denominator, except for the music.
I have been revisiting this little Portuguese gem the past couple of days, and it really hits the mellotron spot:
Definitely worth the stretch if you're on the look out for some "new" and exciting symphonic beyond the confines of Britain methinksSmile

Aye - it has some interesting Mellotron & Moog , I have added it to my possible purchase list !! Thanks for that....more exploration is what everybody needs....I am still looking for the symphonic prog to end all prog...suppose it's not been released yet...

Hey Barney, sorry for the tardy response I am, and have always been a bit 'all over the place' on PA, so I sometimes forget about where I post.

Anyway, I don't know if you have ever really ventured out in RPI and South American prog, but this, while Portuguese, has a very similar feel. Both vocally and musically....and personally I feel Portuguese is one of the most beautiful languages in the world, even if I understand zero of it. Mjeah well maybe I can guess on certain occasions, but other than that, I'm completely lost
Fact of the matter is, that I don't think I want to. This way they can mean everything to me, and I find that pretty special.
Heh sorry for the wee rant there, but if you ever care to explore some South of the border prog, this little album is certainly worth the stretch. You can always use it to sound intellectually proficient and proper lingo cultural

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 15 2014 at 12:44
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Taking that picture into consideration then heavy overcoats, snow and boots are all part of the symph prog zeitgeist!!! 
Of course when that was taken ELP were WAY past their BEST!!!

past their best perhaps (but not that far ,evidence Live At Nassau) although I love the look they had around that time

the classic prog/ELP fan look was bomber jacket and split knee jeans apparently although at that time I was wearing docks and Cambridge bags. Fashion was never my strong pointLOL
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 14:24
Well, I had no beard for most of my life, and was much more into symphonic prog than I am now.  Though I have to say that it's still probably my favorite sub-genre of prog.  I remember in my 20's, I felt like it was my own special genre, that almost no one was interested in.  Yes, I used to enjoy the blank looks people gave when they asked me what bands I liked (though most had heard of Yes and Genesis, of course).  Once I got on the internet, I realized I wasn't so special anymore, so I started listening to RIO/Avant.  Turns out though, that there are quite a large number of fans of that sub-genre as well, so again, didn't make me feel special enough.  So now I just focus on tribal music of a little known Eskimo tribe who have lived near the north pole for centuries.  Finally, I can feel superior to everyone else now as no one but me (and the Eskimos and an anthropologist or two) has ever heard this music!  Wink

Okay, being serious, I prefer Tales to Close To The Edge.  I first heard the Close To the Edge songs on Yessongs, and I have never been able to enjoy the album versions of those songs for some reason (they just seem very disjointed and odd, like they had been pasted together in the studio........which they had been, of course......whereas live they are complete pieces presented with power, verve and great enthusiasm.......you can almost hear the frustration of the band members on the studio versions).   
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 14:26
To be fair, the way a prog band dresses has never really even occurred to me, except perhaps the lead singer (a-la Gabriel & his costume changes). I have never though to myself, wow Greg Lake looks good in those tight pants and boots!
The gigs I went to where I WAS interested in the lead singer's attire was mainly outside of prog (Kate Bush (late 70's) and similar - Debbie Harry !!!!
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 01:55
GD yes!  Just about all of it!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 07:24
symphonic prog rock ftw for sure!!! Thumbs Up
Progrockdude
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I don't think that Symphonic Prog fans are from Oklahoma.

I live in Oklahoma and live for symphonic prog. 

And I love TFTO.
And I loaded up on three different kinds of asparagus at Whole Foods just the other day.

The guitar solo from the start of CTTE was blaring as I pulled into the parking lot. A soccer mom looked at me funny.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:14
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

And I love TFTO.
And I loaded up on three different kinds of asparagus at Whole Foods just the other day.

The guitar solo from the start of CTTE was blaring as I pulled into the parking lot. A soccer mom looked at me funny.

lol LOL
Progrockdude
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:54

And I love TFTO.

tbh i get a lot of frightening looks when I'm driving around wearing a nice button up and a tie looking all kind and whitey while blaring deathspell omega <3
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 17:50
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

And I love TFTO.

lol LOL

For the record, there are still many of us Symphonic Prog fans in Texas. Dallas/Ft. Worth area was very big on Prog in the 70s.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 18:36
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

All I know is that I couldn't live without Symphonic Prog.

^^^^^ 

This
Nous sommes du soleil
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 15:16

Ah, I live in Oklahoma too, but are you from Oklahoma?

Edited by HackettFan - June 01 2014 at 15:18
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 21:45
You can't really stereotype people. There are some generalizations that can and do apply but they are often hard to pinpoint and they are just that, generalizations so they don't apply to everyone.

For example there are probably lots of older(late forties to 65 or so year old) prog fans (if you can call them that)who either don't like or don't know about any post seventies groups except maybe Marillion. They just know about and only like what they grew up with. Oh but wait, you fall into that age bracket but that doesn't apply to you right? Well, that's exactly my point. It's a generalization and a stereotype and it's not fair and not always accurate. There's lots of younger fans who don't know the newer bands and only have heard of the older bands(maybe)but because of their age they haven't been exposed to prog(maybe their dad was a Deadhead and didn't know or like prog. See that? ANother stereotype and another generalization.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 22:51
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

You can't really stereotype people. There are some generalizations that can and do apply but they are often hard to pinpoint and they are just that, generalizations so they don't apply to everyone.

For example there are probably lots of older(late forties to 65 or so year old) prog fans (if you can call them that)who either don't like or don't know about any post seventies groups except maybe Marillion. They just know about and only like what they grew up with. Oh but wait, you fall into that age bracket but that doesn't apply to you right? Well, that's exactly my point. It's a generalization and a stereotype and it's not fair and not always accurate. There's lots of younger fans who don't know the newer bands and only have heard of the older bands(maybe)but because of their age they haven't been exposed to prog(maybe their dad was a Deadhead and didn't know or like prog. See that? ANother stereotype and another generalization.

I don't think there's any stereotyping involved in trying to uncover tendencies. That's what the whole discipline of sociology does, after all. There are probably some who grew up in Oklahoma who are Symph Prog fans. My point, which was delivered in a tongue and cheek fashion, was to point out the influence of region. Genesis' first attempt at touring the US only occurred in a very limited area, mainly the northeast. Besides the region, though, other things do seem to matter. Gender is a glaring example, although I've never understood why. I wouldn't be surprised if left-handedness was unusually high among Prog fans. (Have we had a poll? I'll have to look). I was a big time fan of mythology, science fiction, fantasy, and comic books. I bet those things have some influence on who is a Symphonic Prog fan.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 00:40

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

I don't think there's any stereotyping involved in trying to uncover tendencies. That's what the whole discipline of sociology does, after all. There are probably some who grew up in Oklahoma who are Symph Prog fans. My point, which was delivered in a tongue and cheek fashion, was to point out the influence of region. Genesis' first attempt at touring the US only occurred in a very limited area, mainly the northeast. Besides the region, though, other things do seem to matter. Gender is a glaring example, although I've never understood why. I wouldn't be surprised if left-handedness was unusually high among Prog fans. (Have we had a poll? I'll have to look). I was a big time fan of mythology, science fiction, fantasy, and comic books. I bet those things have some influence on who is a Symphonic Prog fan.

Oh I see where you are coming from now. I have a BA in sociology so I find it interesting also. However, you are still dealing with stereotypes and generalizations here. You can cover them up by calling them tendencies which may be the case but they are still generalizations. Someone would have to do a case study to find out the hows and whys of it all. Not all sci fi or fantasy people like prog and not all prog people are into fantasy etc. If we make these assumptions we are stereotyping and generalizing. :) Yes they can be tendencies but they are not absolute.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 10:45
I was interesting in collecting the set of say - human beings that appreciate "The Flower Kings"/"Glass Hammer" (contemporary (3rd/4th Gen?) Symph prog) then those peoples who similarly groove "IQ" or "Marillion" (2nd generation prog movement) and then those who are "Genesis" or "Yes"...Generation one...once you have those sets of persons what other sets do they belong to? what sets intersect them in the area known as a the Cartesian join? An interesting task in social mathematics me thinks.....
I am definitely in the first six/three? sets of persons - I am also in the sets "Male" / "White" / "European" / "Right Handed" / "Has Read, Science Fiction / Fantasy Novels" / "Heterosexual" / "Atheist" / "Likes Melton Mowbray Pork Pie" / "Stilton Cheese" / "Skinheads on a raft" / "Appreciating The Female body as a living breathing work of art!!!"....etc..

Edited by M27Barney - June 02 2014 at 10:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>