Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBS Never Say Die VS LZ In Through The Out Door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [35.42%]
31 [64.58%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 05:44
Neither are any good- but Zeppelin ismy choice
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 06:00
I've always quite liked Never Say Die.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 06:01
Both albums demonstrating prog rock influences though the Zeppelin one is probably more varied. Both bands feeling certain internal pressures but came up trumps before going out fighting...

Wouldn't want to let over exposure to a number to influence my opinion of the piece. Bonham's work on Fool In The Rain is masterful. Jimmy's new guitar synth cutting some rarely heard ground.

Vote to Led Zeppelin but both albums are just fine if probably not what metals fans would immediately expect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 01:04
Led Zeppelin -  In Through The Out Door
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 06:53
I really liked the title track (and single) from Never Say Die (I mean it got Sabs on TOTP dammit!) but erm.. that's about it, the remainder mostly sucked and sounds as heartfelt as any association where the participants have forgotten they used to gladly do this for nowt but fun. I've never really warmed to Zep apart from a few individual songs here and there but I must be the only extant carbon based life-form who has an affection for Hotdog (because it don't sound remotely like LZ, Dunno?) Didn't vote as both albums are patchier than the output of a narcoleptic quilt-maker.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 08:30
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Neither are any good- but Zeppelin ismy choice

That works for me.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 13:04

In Through The Out Door

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
thorny View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 01:26
Bought both these lps when they first came out.Sabbath came first and I thought it was great lp despite the title track ripping off Thin Lizzy and Hard Road sounding like Status Quo.I thought Juniors Eyes,Johnny Blade ,Air Dance and Over to You were great.Even I thought the dissonant brass on Break out was interesting then leading into Swinging the Chain though sounding unfinished and throwaway was still a thumper.When ITTOD came out I was initially disappointed.My favorites being Carouslambra and All My Love.In the Evening sounds a mess,Fool in the Rain never liked and Hot Dog a messy knees up.But I play the album a lot now and i am a huge zep fan but i am going for the under dog (Never Say Die) on this one,but only just.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 07:48
Zep
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 03:28
I love both bands, and both albums. The final proper studio album from LZ. And the final studio album with the original lineup of the Sabs (until last year's reunion album).

I never saw why either was so maligned. ITTOD contains possibly the proggiest track LZ ever recorded (Carouselambra), and lots of experimentation. They were diversifying their sound. 

Speaking of experimentation, Sabbath did tons of that on Never Say Die! If they put that LP out under another band's name, it would have won plaudits. People were expecting heavy doom and gloom from Sab. Instead, they got experiments like 'A Hard Road', 'Air Dance', 'Juniors Eyes' etc. NSD is a kick ass record , in my opinion. The title track is just badass! 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 04:25
I don't care what anyone says, Out Door is a great album, one of their best.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 04:39
I don't know Never Say Die that well apart from the title track. I can remember someone lending it to me at school but I didn't think a lot of it. Probably the most interesting thing apart from the title track was some keyboards from Don Airey. Great keys man.

In Through The Out Door is Zep's prog album. A bit ELP ish in places dare I say and the closest musically the bands ever got. Both bands of course used to record at Advision studios but on different floors. Zep had the best parties although that would be no surprise to anyone!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 02:09
Never Say Die is planty of studio experimentation from Iommi while ITTOD is The JPJ led Zep. Both fine albums.

I think with the conservatism in mainstream rock attitudes that anything other than typical expected and comfortable (Paranoid, II) means that anything different is not good.

Brave attitudes and fine music especially considering both bands had certain difficulties at the time. Lucky for Zeppelin they had JPJ.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 13:35
I need to relisten to ITTOD....but it never struck me as being that proggy nor interesting...and most of the  Zep fans I know don't really care for it that much.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 13:41
Never Say Die.
If only for "Over To You". And I love the piano playing in the background of that track.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 19:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I don't care what anyone says, Out Door is a great album, one of their best.

amen brother. Thumbs Up
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 13:34
I guess Out Door gets a lot of shyte 'cause it was such a departure upon first release.  The production was more slick, the riffage not as up front, the vocals seemed processed thru a "Robert Plant machine", and the synths stood out more than Page.  It was a sell out in so many ways.  The late 70s were a tough time for a lot of the prog world, and Zep felt the winds of change just like the rest.  But I can say the same for Going for the One, Who Are You, Love Beach, Fripp's Exposure....albums that reflect the times more than the bands' classic sounds.  Not bad albums, just not really what you would expect from your favorite band.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 22:11
Rather thought the first album refects the times as much as ITTOD well, really didn't. Not disco, punk new wave or metal of any sort, A C and W joke number, some prog, a sophisticated blues, soytern rock and latin music and a touch of heavy rock.

I think the negative view of ITTOD and Never Say Die and so many late 70s albums  says more aout the audience perceptions of their own poular culture environmental change than anything. To take another example ACDC put out the same album every time nad have millins of fans - very reassuring consistency to the rock and roll rebellious crowd. Bit like Tommy Vance (RIP) saying on a doco that Def Leppard will never change (spots?) and he said it as though it were a good thing.

So really it's not so much about music quality as their vhicle for a dislike of changing times -  getting old inside a world where they have to now play catch up. Roughly for the same reasons modern pop is slated and vinyl is actually popular now (when every release probably should be a Blu Ray Audio or the equivalent). We're about 50 years behind our own times now. People should be well happy... living in the past.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 16:23
Two rather meh albums overall, by these stalwarts, although each has good stuff as well. No vote.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12