Direct Link To This Post Topic: for YES fans in preparation of new album
    Posted: May 15 2014 at 14:49
Progrockdude
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 21:43
I'm a bit aprehensive about the way albums are recorded now. Because of what Davison said that they even were more than one of them working in the studio at the same time, while Downes and White were sending their recordings from other cities, etc. I still feel that something must be lost if they don't make the music together, something of the interaction between the musicians, I feel it makes the end result more plastic, lifeless. But of course this is more the norm than the exception this days, we'll just have to see how this comes out.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 00:24
^ I agree with Dellinger's sentiments here. I'm not a big fan of these projects where the musicians involved are 'working from home and submitting their parts in' . There is a degree of unity and teamwork lost in this process. I think Ayreon works like this, and most of the 'star studded' projects Billy Sherwood is involved in.
One thing I have to say, Roger Dean hasn't lost his edge, and I loved the previous Fly From Here album so I have faith in this new release with Davison now.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 06:48
Its a must to get hold of this when it arrives - though I am not as excited these days. They are not passed their used by date but its just not the same now sadly.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm a bit aprehensive about the way albums are recorded now. Because of what Davison said that they even were more than one of them working in the studio at the same time, while Downes and White were sending their recordings from other cities, etc. I still feel that something must be lost if they don't make the music together, something of the interaction between the musicians, I feel it makes the end result more plastic, lifeless. But of course this is more the norm than the exception this days, we'll just have to see how this comes out.

I agree 100%Clap
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 15:42
There are three songs in the 9-10 min range so it should have some Prog in it for sure. I have a feeling this will be like another The Ladder. Competent Yes but not amazing. But then again Magnification and Keystudio were great so I'm hopeful
raeloneq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 16:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think they lost something when Anderson left. Yes is not Yes without Jon.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 20:59
Well, of course they lost something when Anderson left... or rather was kicked out. However, I still hope this album will come out interesting enough. Also, I'm expecting/hoping it will come out better than the Sherwood albums, somehow I have the impression that Davison's capabilities as a writer will be more rewarding than Sherwood's, but we'll see.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 06:49
Also Davison has not forgotten what symphonic prog is. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 10:25
Looking forward to the album---liked FFH a lot---unfortunately not crazy about Davidson's voice--especially in the live YouTube from the recent tour--hope his voice sounds better and more nuanced on record---as live, all I can say about it is it is very highErmm---almost too high---
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 19:33
My only hope is that is nothing like The Ladder! Dead
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 19:53
^ The Ladder was respectable, Magnification a whole lot better, Fly From Here almost as good, this up and coming release with Davison, well, I have faith in this one. Surely the band would've learnt what NOT to do on an album by now.....??
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 04:44
Hopefully the album will be as good as this

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 09:45
Unhappyhate to disagree but that Glass Hammer song is cliche ridden prog drivel---and hope that Yes can come up with something with a fresher sound---people criticize Tales but nearly any 10 minute section of that album is more interesting to me musically than the 11 minutes of Beyond, Within----but thats just my opinion.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 01:17
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Unhappyhate to disagree but that Glass Hammer song is cliche ridden prog drivel---and hope that Yes can come up with something with a fresher sound---people criticize Tales but nearly any 10 minute section of that album is more interesting to me musically than the 11 minutes of Beyond, Within----but thats just my opinion.

Ouch 

Modern Yes is just so 'Bleh'. FFH is no better than than recent Asia albums imo. In fact I would rather listen to Asia.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 05:07
Amazing we nearly all differ with opinions as usual :-) FFH was excellent so I am really looking forward to the new album
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 15:33
I'll get it as well but I don't have massively high expectations. I hope I'm not coming off as a 'Yes hater' by my last few posts its just that I feel strongly about Davison and GH and wanted to put that over.Yes are the greatest prog band just based on their 70's material and more recent stuff like Keystudio and The Ladder is also very decent. Their last album however is a just a bit average to these ears and a million miles away from their classic material but then so is most music (inc Glass Hammer).
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 15:54

I agree. I would rather listen to Yes, the originators, any of the week over copycats like Glass Hammer or Starcastle.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 01:59
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I agree. I would rather listen to Yes, the originators, any of the week over copycats like Glass Hammer or Starcastle.

Are you talking just classic Yes or all Yes releases?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 08:33
For me ---the classics of course---the musicians matter for great Yes---after that anything with Howe playing, with the exception of OYE and Ladder----liked ABWH--thought Mind Drive and That, that is were pretty good---Mag is important album---and enjoyed FFH. After the classic period---there were no perfect albums ---some great songs was the best they could do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>