Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMindspeak (Austria) for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mindspeak (Austria) for Crossover Prog
    Posted: May 15 2014 at 19:25

MINDSPEAK is a progressive rock quintet formed in Vienna, Austria, 2009. MINDSPEAK are:

Viktoria Simon - vocals
Simon Nagy - bass, electric upright bass
Alex Clément - guitar, background vocals
Christoph Kasparovsky - keyboard, e-organ, background vocals
Gabriel Lahrmann - drums, percussion, background vocals 

• Compact Disc comes in a lovely gatefold case and with a booklet of 8 pages, with gorgeous artwork by Claus Diwisch and Phillip Ivellio-Vellin.                                     
Viktoria Simon - vocals
Simon Nagy - bass, electric upright bass
Alex Clément - guitar, background vocals
Christoph Kasparovsky - keyboard, e-organ, background vocals
Gabriel Lahrmann - drums, percussion, background vocals 

Guest musicians:
Johannes Richter - vocals on "Tragedy of Perfection", "The Big Sleep, Pt. II, IV" and "Reawakening"
Thomas Körner - saxophone on "The Big Sleep, Pt. V"

Drums recorded by Moritz Lochner and Daniel Blum
All other instruments and vocals recorded at Mindspeak Mansion Studios
Produced by Mindspeak
Mixed and co-produced by Ulrich Treutwein
Mastered by Manuel Schönegger
Released 17 January 2014   

https://www.facebook.com/mindspeakmusic                      

"Rezensionen

Von: Siggy Zielinski

Das Quintett Mindspeak aus Wien debütierte im Januar 2014 mit "Pictures". Dieser Titel soll wohl ein Konzeptalbum signalisieren und steht für alle im unseren Gehirn entstehende Bilder. Bilder beim Lesen, Bilder beim Erinnern und schließlich - wie man hört - die etwas schneller ablaufenden Bilder direkt vor dem Ableben. Demensprechend dramatisch sind einige der vorwiegend von Viktoria Simon gesungenen Texte ausgefallen, wobei die vordergründige Dramatik der gesanglichen Darbietung offenbar nicht zu den wichtigsten Zielen von Mindspeak gehört. Wäre das der Fall, würden sich einige Hörer wahrscheinlich schnell über aufdringlichen Gesang beschweren. Die Sängerin wird hin und wieder stimmlich von ihren Bandkollegen unterstützt, was an einer, oder zwei Stellen zum polyphonen Gesang in der Art von Gentle Giant mutiert, der für meine Begriffe allerdings etwas selbstbewussteren Eindruck machen könnte.

Die Erwähnung von Gentle Giant sollte aber nicht über die Tatsache hinwegtäuschen, dass die Musik völlig ohne schräge Klänge auskommt. Falls also jemand ein wenig Ecken und Kanten auf "Pictures" vermissen sollte, wird er dafür hoffentlich durch zahlreiche überraschende, in den Arrangements steckende Feinheiten entschädigt, wie zum Beispiel die Übergänge zwischen Hard Prog und elektronisch angehauchten Klängen in "Tragedy of Perfection". Zu den kleinen netten Überraschungen gehören auch die Saxbeiträge von Thomas Körner in "The big Sleep Pt.V". In solchen Stücken offenbart sich ein beachtliches Talent zugleich gefällige und anspruchsvolle Instrumentalmusik zu machen.

Vielleicht ist die von Mindspeak gewählte Ausrichtung zwischen Retroprog, Hardrock, Progmetal und Neoprog nicht gerade optimal als fruchtbarer Boden für Experimente geeignet, aber dieses kleine Manko machen die jungen Musiker/Innen (ihr Alter liegt zwischen 19 und 23) mit ihren facettenreichen Kompositionen wieder wett. Dabei kommen mir beiläufig Namen wie Mostly Autumn, Kaipa, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Dream Theater; Iona und The Flower Kings in den Sinn.

Wer also traditionsbewusstes, an schöngeistigen Melodien orientiertes Musizieren zu schätzen weiss, könnte an Mindspeak seine Freude haben."

reviews

The quintet Mind Speak from Vienna debuted in January 2014 with the "Pictures" . This title will probably signal a concept album and is available for all in our brain resulting images. Images when reading images in remembering and finally - how to listen - the slightly faster running images directly before death . Demensprechend dramatically some of the predominantly sung by Victoria Simon texts have failed , with the superficial drama of the vocal performance obviously not one of the main destinations of Mind Speak. If that were the case , some listeners would probably complain about intrusive fast song. The singer is supported now and then vocally by her bandmates , which mutated at one or two places to polyphonic singing in the style of Gentle Giant , which could make somewhat more assertive impression on my mind .

But the mention of Gentle Giant should not obscure the fact that the music does not need any oblique sounds. So if anyone should miss a little rough edges on "Pictures" , he will this hopefully compensated by numerous surprising , plug the end into the arrangements subtleties , such as the transitions between hard prog and electronic -influenced sounds in "Tragedy of Perfection " . The small nice surprises include the Saxbeiträge by Thomas grains in " The Big Sleep Pt.V " . In such pieces , a considerable talent revealed at the same time to make pleasing and sophisticated instrumental music.

Maybe your chosen Mind Speak alignment between Retroprog , hard rock, prog and neo prog is not exactly optimal as a fertile ground for experimentation , but this little shortcoming make the young musician / interior (her age is between 19 and 23) with their multi-faceted compositions up for Here I come casually names like Mostly Autumn , Kaipa , Spock 's Beard , Neal Morse, Dream Theater ; Iona and The Flower Kings to mind.

Anyone who appreciates tradition-conscious , oriented to belletristic melodies music , could at Mind Speak have his joy.  (Google translated)

Edited by Svetonio - May 15 2014 at 19:45
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 21:33
From this thread in the Unsigned Bands forum from11th February 2014:

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Wow! - I just listened to this, and was quite blown away by it. This is a very young band, and the production here sounds a little bit rough around the edges to my ears, but the material they present shows enormous potential indeed. If this album was professionally mixed and re-mastered it would already be guaranteed a very high place on my top albums of 2014 - that's how good I think these compositions actually are. The photos on facebook show a band who seem to prefer to perform seated, and it seems to me that this cramps their style to a certain extent, particularly the female vocalist, whose efforts seem to sit back in the mix a bit too much. I think she would be able to deliver a far more compelling performance if she stood up and let her lungs work to their absolute maximum capacity, but this is a minor complaint. The music itself is quite magnificent, and if these guys stick around I reckon they have the potential to be a really big name in the prog world when they have a couple more releases under their belt.
Great start though - don't see any reason at all why this act shouldn't be included in the archives in the not too distant future. Thumbs Up

Well, 3 months certainly falls into the 'not too distant future' category! LOL

Undoubtably has a fairly decent chance if the team don't have the same reservations that I did about the possible weaknesses regarding the production of this first effort from the band.

Further comments awaited with great interest... Embarrassed

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 15:51
Added to crossover chart
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 13:59
Looking good after voting began today: http://progfreak.com/Mindspeak-159068.html?path=pa/recent. Smile One more 'yes' and they're in! Thumbs Up
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 17:23
Cleared.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 04:36
Svetonio View Drop Down