Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Iron Maiden really belong in only 'related'?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Iron Maiden really belong in only 'related'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 17:39
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^I suggest you check out two songs of that album (one for sure is To Tame a Land) - listen to that guitar solo melody and read the lyrics (oh yes! in this case I didn't hesitate to read almost the whole album).

People who enjoy Piece Of Mind know what I'm talking about.

I know the album well.  To Tame a Land is based off of Dune, so I'm not sure what Genghis Khan has to do with it.

Ghengis Khan and his troop invaded that lands and then they hailed him as 'The Trooper' hahahahahahaaa
Nah... I'm joking.

Right on Padraic ! Interesting observations you made about that track - based off of Dune, I never read that book, and only once watched the epic film some decades ago, but sure it must be an interesting book. I had to read again the lyrics - I mistook the correct king's name "Kwizatz Haderach" for "Genghis Khan" (the mongol emperor), not at all an arabian related hahahahh. My memory played me a funny joke when I wanted to mean that I felt an arabian atmosphere while listened to that guitar melody and all that arabian names (Arrakis, Muad Dib, Caladan and Gom Jabbar), btw the only part of the lyrics I still don't get is: ..."and (Kwizatz Haderach) will take the Gom Jabbar."

But there is that one tune on the Killers album which has that sort of Genghis Khan atmosphere you speak of. Wink
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 06:24
I still have yet to hear a better prog metal track than Phantom Of The Opera.

Maiden themselves thought they had more in common with Pink Floyd than basic heavy rock. I remember this from an interview for a magazine (probably Kerrang) after the release of Somewhere In Time.

The last couple of albums Another Frontier and A Matter Of Life and Death both follow a prog sensability in the way they are constructed although they don't have a lot of musical complexity.

They could almost occupy their own category being the great Institution that they have become over the years so I can't get too excited how they are classified on PA.

Edited by richardh - May 17 2014 at 06:24
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 06:37
There was a period back when I was 12-13 where I listened to nothing but Maiden. Nowadays it's more in short bursts I grab out for an album.
I will say this though, if Maiden's commandeering sonic ethos was the one found in say Rhyme of the ancient Mariner, then I would be all for including them in prog metal.
Calling Maiden prog is like calling Björk prog. False interpretations of the truth, and I don't believe in rewriting music history in order to accomodate the whims of hindsight. Maiden would never call themselves 'prog' either;-)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 06:40
Btw I moved this to prog related:-P
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 07:16
If they put out more albums like Brave New World they would be Prog Metal but alas most of the albums are just metal with occasional Prog moments. If I recall there was a huge debate whether IM belonged here at all, and they were almost left out till a team decided that Maiden produced some Prog albums.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 17 2014 at 07:17
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 08:15
Iron Maiden have always been a little more sophisticated than their metal peers.  They were certainly as good as 1970s Judas Priest and were definitely far better than the hair metal bands of the 80s whose lyrical themes seldom strayed beyond sex and partying.  But, though a few of their songs may be considered progressive I do not consider them a prog-metal band.  Good?  Yes.  Prog?  No. 
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 10:03
the most progressive Maiden album is more progressive than the most progressive Nightwish album.
the most progressive Maiden album is more progressive than the most progressive Blind Guardian album.
and finally, for metalheads,  ALL WE CARE IS THAT THEY'RE METAL. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 22:05
I recall from interviews a long time ago a couple of the guys in Iron Maiden were Hackett fans, specifically mentioning Voyage of the Acolyte. However, I could never detect how they might have been influenced by him. Beyond having some long songs with Prog mythological subject matters, I'm not sure how they would be Prog. I never understood how Queensryche was Prog. I never understood how Coheed and Cambria was Prog either.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 22:25
Iron Maiden were always progressive metal, but they were the defining ProgMetal band and so, as far as PA goes, remain for better or worse in the realm of chrysalis; protoplasm; an eolith crucial to but not technically a part of Progmetal as a fully formed and autonomous subgenre.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 22:34
Harris' favourite album is claimed to be Genesis' Foxtrot'
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 02:17
I think that Iron Maiden play heavy-metal/hard-rock music (with some progressive music elements). And I believe it is not enough to put them in the progressive metal category. Maybe, the are progressive music related, but, I am not sure of that...
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I recall from interviews a long time ago a couple of the guys in Iron Maiden were Hackett fans, specifically mentioning Voyage of the Acolyte. However, I could never detect how they might have been influenced by him. 

People in my country who were in IM were also in BS, Motor Head, Whitesnake, Deff Leppard, Scorpions, Kiss, Quiet Riot, etc., and they had no interest in Genesis, Camel, etc. or not even knew their prog works - I'm talking about the begining of the 80's, when I happened to know these hard rock bands thanks to people who never on earth wanted to know anything of prog except for Rush and Marillion (and only because these were massively played in the radios). So it'd be quite weird that they would be also Steve Hackett fans, and other point to remark is that he was never played in that "famous" radio stations here in Brazil, not by chance I'm still waiting him to come at least once to give a live show.

EDIT: Sorry about the misunderstanding - didn't realize you were meaning the guys in Iron Maiden as THE MEMBERS of the band. Now I've learnt the following lesson: never do a "dynamic lecture" when you are not prepared for that...

Edited by Rick Robson - May 18 2014 at 20:14

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 10:57
For what it's worth, here's a quote from Harris' Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harris_%28musician%29):

"Influences

Harris was influenced by the progressive rock bands of the 1970s, as well as early hard rock bands. His influences include Black Sabbath,[15] Deep Purple,[15] Emerson, Lake & Palmer,[48] Genesis,[3][15] Jethro Tull,[3][15] Led Zeppelin,[15] Pink Floyd,[3][15] Thin Lizzy,[49] UFO,[50] Wishbone Ash,[49] and Yes.[15] Speaking about the early Iron Maiden sound, Steve Harris described the band as utilising twin-guitar harmonies inspired by Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy,[51] complex time and mood changes from Genesis and Jethro Tull,[51] and the dark melodic elements of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin.[15]"

This isn't to say IM belongs in prog metal here.  Just to say that Harris, at least, was a prog fan from his early days.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

For what it's worth, here's a quote from Harris' Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harris_%28musician%29):

"Influences

Harris was influenced by the progressive rock bands of the 1970s, as well as early hard rock bands. His influences include Black Sabbath,[15] Deep Purple,[15] Emerson, Lake & Palmer,[48] Genesis,[3][15] Jethro Tull,[3][15] Led Zeppelin,[15] Pink Floyd,[3][15] Thin Lizzy,[49] UFO,[50] Wishbone Ash,[49] and Yes.[15] Speaking about the early Iron Maiden sound, Steve Harris described the band as utilising twin-guitar harmonies inspired by Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy,[51] complex time and mood changes from Genesis and Jethro Tull,[51] and the dark melodic elements of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin.[15]"

This isn't to say IM belongs in prog metal here.  Just to say that Harris, at least, was a prog fan from his early days.

I don't know if they're prog-related but they've certainly covered prog bands. Can't say they sound better than the originals either.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 00:38
I've always thought the much maligned album The X Factor as being at least 80% Prog-Metal.....
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 03:21
They were certainly very influential to what became Prog Metal. Listen to Seventh Son and you can see where DT came from. 

Maiden did concept albums, long epic songs, instrumentals of a complex nature. And Harris was/is a prog fan. There's certainly enough reason for them to belong on this site, even if only 'prog related'. 

I think most of their albums since Bruce and Adrian returned to the band sound quite proggy. Especially the second half of The Final Frontier. All songs are 8 minutes plus, on the second side 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:49
I was around for the initial addition. Just getting them in as related was huge debate. It sparked a lot of controversy and tempers ran high. Be happy they are here at all.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:51
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I was around for the initial addition. Just getting them in as related was huge debate. It sparked a lot of controversy and tempers ran high. Be happy they are here at all.

hahaha.  Good times indeed HT.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:59
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Well, as I was the one who actually added them to the DB, I still have the scars to showWink... Back in the good old days, there were people who were not shy about ad hominem attacks. Thank heavens things seem to have calmed down around here.

Personally, I think Iron Maiden belong at the very least in the PR category, and not just because they write long songs. Classic prog has been a huge influence in their sound, and the band members have never been shy about declaring themselves prog fans. And what does "just metal" mean anyway? Metal, even in its earlier days, had a lot of different subgenres which sounded quite different from each other - in some ways, even more so than prog.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 09:04
^^
^

Micky and Raff good to see you around
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>