Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Iron Maiden really belong in only 'related'?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Iron Maiden really belong in only 'related'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 09:09
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^^
^

Micky and Raff good to see you around

Thank you, Athanasios, likewise! I have missed this place, and am happy to be back!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 09:10
thanks!!  Nice to be back, this place was always more a home than FB ever was.  It was always a hive of villainy and scum but it was fun and it helped we were counted among the villains and scum so we fit right in. LOL
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

thanks!!  Nice to be back, this place was always more a home than FB ever was.  It was always a hive of villainy and scum but it was fun and it helped we were counted among the villains and scum so we fit right in. LOL

Speak for yourself Greedo. LOL

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^Always loved that Genghis Khan atmosphere in the superb album 'Piece Of Mind, anyways I don't think so.

What's a Genghis Khan atmosphere?  Confused

On second thought, I probably don't want to know. 
Kill! Destroy! Kill! Destroy! Kill! Destroy!

Got the idea now?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 13:44
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Speak for yourself Greedo. LOL

yeah Embarrassed Well I did finally end up a black slimy spot on the wall before being reborn in the big budget hollywood sequel .... PA's II: The revenge of Micky and Raff.

I guess it was just me. I liked being the subversive agent of progressive change to this staid site and having fun poking at some of the more.. ummm.. uptight members Heart LOL LOL  Raff was too pure to get her hands dirty with that, she just enjoyed the ride down the dark side of the back room deals, drive by character assassinations, backstabbing, and dirty deals it took to get substantial change on this site. The politics of this site were quite fun but it did lead to a massive burnout thus the long vacation.

.. but not before getting the changes and additions I wanted.  I am quite proud of what we did here and happy to see them recognized not just here but all throughout the world.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:16
The inclusion of Queen was much more contentious than Iron Maiden for me. Powerslave , Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time stretched metal that bit further. Could be 'prog metal' and some of the inventiveness displayed on something like Phantom Of The Opera is much better than just about anything I'be heard by DT. (IMO)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:57
I agree Richard. There were 3 quite divisive additions here that immediately come to my mind, and Iron Maiden was by far the least of them. If you have ears and a mind not completely closed,  they fit this site. Queen was a bit more borderline, but I always thought the side should error on the side of inclusiveness rather than exclusiveness.  This site should be seen as  some private exclusive country club, nor simply a playground for the collabs, but for for the use of those who use the site. 

Very few bands outside of the handful of old war horses will ever be universally acknowledged as 'prog groups'. Even Genesis if one was consistent in applying the same stupid 'Is ELO prog?' questions I still see get asked on this site. A group that spent its early years dabbling and putting out a good number (4-6) prog albums before moving on and being known as something other than a prog group. Are either band.. prog bands... no they are not. They moved on and found fame and commerical success as popular music groups.

My point being, most people have different notions of what is, and is not prog.  I always thought the site was always best served by simply making the groups available and spelling out why they could fit the site, and let the listeners discover, perhaps reevaluate long held notions, and decide if it fit their views of progginess or not. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 16:19
This place has brightened up with the return of Micky & Raff. Welcome back, good people
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 16:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This place has brightened up with the return of Micky & Raff. Welcome back, good people

thanks! We do try to bring some light and love. Heart

However I will say one thing...it didn't take long here before I remembered just how MUCH I hate the word proggy and progginess  ARRGGG.  I thought that was a word(s) I would never utter again... but I got sucked back in.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:03
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Thank you, Steve! It is a pleasure to be back among friends. Looking forward to many interesting music discussions (without the use of the word "proggy", if possibleLOL...).
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:06
^ Welcome back once again, Raff!! Hug
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:09
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Heart
Thank you, Bartek! I am happy to meet you once again!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:13
Hi Raff and Micky, good to see you here, see you in a couple of weeks
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Heart

I remember when once I asked you if you would come back to PA... Never again!, you said... Well, never say never, I say! Tongue
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:32

Heart

I remember when once I asked you if you would come back to PA... Never again!, you said... Well, never say never, I say! Tongue

IndeedSmile! I got fed up with Facebook and all its drama, and then one day I said, "why not?". Things seem to have changed around here, and for the better. One thing is for sure: I'll stay away from controversial additionsLOL!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 18:48

Heart

IndeedSmile! I got fed up with Facebook and all its drama, and then one day I said, "why not?". Things seem to have changed around here, and for the better. One thing is for sure: I'll stay away from controversial additionsLOL!

Welcome back Miss Raff.....I too thought you and Micky would never come back.....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 19:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Heart

Welcome back Miss Raff.....I too thought you and Micky would never come back.....

thanks (for us both) Raff is an early to bed type hahah.

too many friends here not to... but we both needed the time and distance away.   Life is too short.  I had a really bad experience at work last year and am damn lucky to still be here. It does change ones perceptions and priorities hah.  I survived via a trip to the ER and some facial burns a arcflash out of a electrical box.  Everyone told me I was lucky to be alive, and reading up on the physics of arcflashes on wiki.. I guess I was. Nasty sh*t.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 19:10
They may have had also some prodding by a couple of people who posted on this thread. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 19:14
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

They may have had also some prodding by a couple of people who posted on this thread. 

ClapHeart
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 20:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The inclusion of Queen was much more contentious than Iron Maiden for me. Powerslave , Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time stretched metal that bit further. Could be 'prog metal' and some of the inventiveness displayed on something like Phantom Of The Opera is much better than just about anything I'be heard by DT. (IMO)

I think I have already written this, but here it is again: Queen is a rare example of an all-genre band .. of the top of my head - jazz, blues, art rock, pop, metal, classical, funk (I think), country, world folk, rock'n'roll, disco - they played everything, and 'most everything they did had a unique Queen imprint on it. 

Queen's flamboyant musicianship and constant creative itch helped them churn out a whole bunch of anything-but-conventional stuff - which, IMO, makes some of their albums no less than eclectic prog.

As for Iron Maiden .. I used to like them, but that was 25-30 years ago, and at that time I don't recall them sound much different (proggier?) than any other heavy metal band. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>