Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Iron Maiden really belong in only 'related'?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Iron Maiden really belong in only 'related'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 11:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Related? Perhaps.
I always wondered how Caravan's Nine Feet Underground would sound like in Maiden's hands.
it would sound less pom pa pa ta ta tum melodic and rhythmic tac tac ta tum with jazzy prelipupu's that's a fact, no one would recognize that track I think Confused
Hug
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 13:15
Geesh....6 pages about where to place their music...imho they don't even deserve that much consideration.

Ermm
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 13:41
Maiden Rules! Huh-huh. Isn't prog college music? Huh-huh.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 13:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Maiden Rules! Huh-huh. Isn't prog college music? Huh-huh.

I think I might take them seriously if they had a different name, less atrocious  album covers , and didn't remind me of Spinal Tap.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 18:41
I'm not really a fan. And since there isn't a "proto-progmetal" category, then they are fine in related haha
Luis de Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 03:34
I understand the folk that say IM is not prog. All of their LPs include simple songs and some LPs are not prog at all. However, under the same logic, I can not fathom why bands like Queensrÿche or Savatage are prog.

In any case, was this a democracy, I would vote Maiden for proto-prog.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 04:12
The purpose of the site is to provide a platform for people to write reviews, not to decide how Prog a band is, what flavour Prog they produce or which category they should be filed under. The subgenres are not the be all and end all of the site, they are perhaps better viewed as a navigation aid. 

Once a band has been added to the PA archive then people can write reviews ... job done. Moving them around once they are here is an unnecessary academic exercise.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Related? Perhaps.
I always wondered how Caravan's Nine Feet Underground would sound like in Maiden's hands.
it would sound less pom pa pa ta ta tum melodic and rhythmic tac tac ta tum with jazzy prelipupu's that's a fact, no one would recognize that track I think Confused
Hug

prelipupus? Confused
Battlepriest View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 20:03
I tend to take a more inclusive view of progressive rock/metal than this site, but even I'd be reluctant to include them. Mentally, I think of them as progressive metal, but I never tag them as such on id3s. They are too strongly perceived as being a heavy metal band by the public as a whole, and sorry guys but public/critical perception is the final authority on genre, not this fansite.

That said, if it were my asylum, I'd eliminate the prog-related ghetto category altogether and create an additional tag called "honorary" which would put you in the genre, but exempt you from the top-100 lists, etc. so Iron Maiden would be an honorary progressive metal band, but not risk one of their albums appearing in the same breath as Thick as a Brick.

Edited by Battlepriest - September 15 2015 at 20:04
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 20:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Once a band has been added to the PA archive then people can write reviews ... job done. Moving them around once they are here is an unnecessary academic exercise.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 02:37
Originally posted by Luís de Sousa Luís de Sousa wrote:

I understand the folk that say IM is not prog. All of their LPs include simple songs and some LPs are not prog at all. However, under the same logic, I can not fathom why bands like Queensrÿche or Savatage are prog.

In any case, was this a democracy, I would vote Maiden for proto-prog.

How is Iron Maiden proto-prog?

Prog related is ok for IM. I think Queensryche & Savatage are prog-related as well. I've seen Savatage labelled as US Power Metal and Queenryche as heavy metal. I can't say it's wrong.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 17:00
I they they've done enough metal songs/albums to be considered prog metal. It's true also, that a huge amount of their discography is not prog. But then, that's also the case with bands like Yes, Genesis, etc. and here they are (and rightly so). 

I don't know what's exactly the parameters to consider a band as prog related or prog (prog metal in this case). I don't think Queensryche or Pain of Salvation are that different to Iron Maiden (and they're under prog metal, not prog related).
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2015 at 07:43
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

I they they've done enough metal songs/albums to be considered prog metal. It's true also, that a huge amount of their discography is not prog. But then, that's also the case with bands like Yes, Genesis, etc. and here they are (and rightly so). 

I don't know what's exactly the parameters to consider a band as prog related or prog (prog metal in this case). I don't think Queensryche or Pain of Salvation are that different to Iron Maiden (and they're under prog metal, not prog related).

how are Iron Maiden and Pain of Salvation similar? Confused
I agree that Queensryche are prog-related but PoS are definitely progressive metal.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 00:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Related? Perhaps.
Hug

prelipupus? Confused

hahahaha!!!! Chopper LOL Hug
I attempted to type the tunes and the difference between both bands plus outcome hahahaha!!!Big smile
More hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 01:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

how are Iron Maiden and Pain of Salvation similar? Confused
I agree that Queensryche are prog-related but PoS are definitely progressive metal.
POSYay! Pain of Salvation are certainly prog and progmetal no doubt and no context in terms of prog compared to the two other bands mentioned here. I will post 3 POS tracks suggestions here just to clarify the issue above here.

Pain of Salvation - Undertow

Pain of Salvation - Used

Here is an odd one and hahahaha bounce, bounce, bounce happy bounce yay yay Disco Queen yay! hahaha!
Pain of Salvation - Disco Queen (Live from Amsterdam)

Bonus here for the sentimental sweet peeps here, a prog version of Hallelujah:
Pain of Salvation - Hallelujah  

mhwoaaahhxxxx group hug Hug
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 01:17
^And a great prog metal band at that, I can't get enough of the funky basslines on their debut. Cool

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 04:34
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

^And a great prog metal band at that, I can't get enough of the funky basslines on their debut. Cool

hahahaha!!! Yes Pastmaster hahahaha brilliant, that bass right at the start is a killer hahahaha thank you for posting this track! Clap big hug to you Hug
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 06:57
In my humble opinion, what primarily keeps people who make such decisions from including IM in the Prog Related subgenre comes down to two factors.  The first is the band's relatively sparing use of keyboards.  The second is the relatively low number of epic songs the band has recorded, as compared to a band like Dream Theater.  However, taking a look at their last few albums suggests that these statements aren't as true as they were before.  I agree with others that Iron Maiden are far more innovative than many bands who are similarly categorized.  Lastly, I really think I need to work on writing more concise sentences!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 08:02
I just got The Book Of Souls today, gave it an intense listen. I like it more than the last album (Final Frontier), but I still insist on The X Factor being my fave album.
Even with Empire Of The Clouds, longest Maiden track, featuring some decent piano and orchestrations, I'd be hard-pressed to call it Prog-Metal. It's quality Maiden, it's awesome music, I dig it. Maybe 'Epic Symphonic Metal' but not really 'Prog'.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 23:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I just got The Book Of Souls today, gave it an intense listen. I like it more than the last album (Final Frontier), but I still insist on The X Factor being my fave album.
Even with Empire Of The Clouds, longest Maiden track, featuring some decent piano and orchestrations, I'd be hard-pressed to call it Prog-Metal. It's quality Maiden, it's awesome music, I dig it. Maybe 'Epic Symphonic Metal' but not really 'Prog'.

Tom!!!!! Yay! Hello you!!! HeartHugSmile
I don't care if IM are prog related or even classified as prog to be honest. Alice Cooper (young peeps do your research before you comment here and atleast have a listen to 70's albums) i.e. the Killer album is substantially more prog compared to anything IM has ever produced however what bugs me is that Alice Cooper is not listed here on PA.

ApproveThumbs UpHug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>