Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhadn't heard Fragile in quite a while

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: hadn't heard Fragile in quite a while
    Posted: May 17 2014 at 22:33
and lemme tell you, woooo hoo!

it blew me away (coming from a tfto lover
who after hear hearing ctte for the first time
said, "it was too short.")

maybe I became jaded to these tunes
because of the fm airplay ad nauseum,
but something like south side of the sky,
knowing about the subject matter
tickles my neurons in a most righteous way

carry on

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 22:35
Fragile - a true classic.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 04:19
There are those albums that push music that bit more further forward and this is one of those I think.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 04:55
Fragile's one of my favourite albums but I never feel like listening to it. I think it might be the short tracks that turn me off it ("Cans And Brahms", "Five Per Cent For Nothing", etc.) Never a fan of them, and they're pretty much just filler to me (compared to some of the epics on there)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 04:59
For me, I enjoy those little 'solo' tracks, I think they are very cleverly assembled. The epics are pretty amazing though.
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 07:02
"South Side of the Sky" contains my favorite piano interlude of all time.  Almost Emerson-esque.  Fragile was one of the Prog albums (also ELP's Trilogy) in my mom's collection that she would listen to when I was young, before I had any concept of what Prog was.  It remains a favorite to this day.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 10:48
I like Fragile a lot, but I rank lower than Relayer and Close To The Edge, but I rate it higher than Going For The One for example. These four albums are my favorites from Yes.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 12:17
Nice poem, LittleMilton! LOL

Fragile is a very good album. The only track I dislike is Cans And Brahms – because Brahms’ own version (the 3rd movement of his 4th symphony) is so much better.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:02
Strangely enough I was in a pub in Salford (New Oxford) for a mates 50th party and somebody put - Heart of the Sunrise on the dukebox !!! - I hadn't heard that track for some time.
Then this Friday just gone - same pub and jukebox on random play - Man Erg by Van der Graff Generator was playing !!!

Edited by M27Barney - May 18 2014 at 13:02
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:06
Fragile, to me, is Yes at their driest. Cans and Brahms is a great example of that. Instead of going with a huge, bombastic ELP-like rendition, they went for a smaller, more subversive one. It's definitely not my favorite of theirs, but I do appreciate it not being so overwrought.
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 14:37
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Strangely enough I was in a pub in Salford (New Oxford) for a mates 50th party and somebody put - Heart of the Sunrise on the dukebox !!! - I hadn't heard that track for some time.
Then this Friday just gone - same pub and jukebox on random play - Man Erg by Van der Graff Generator was playing !!!

I think you misspelled "dukebox" the second time. LOL
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 14:49
Fragile is like a box of liquorice allsorts (or Quality Street, if you like).
It's an absolutely amazing album.
JCDenton View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 16:56
A lot of my friends seem to be discovering Fragile on their own. Or maybe it was just one of them, and they happened to show everybody they and I know. Either way it's a great album that while pushing the musical limits of top Billboard charters, it still has just enough accessibility for almost anyone to enjoy, I find. Great starting album for young Progheads and great album overall.
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 17:00
Fragile, Yes album, and CTTE are my favorites ......many a day spent listening to them at college in the 70's.
I'm going to play that one right now since you mentioned it.
Thumbs Up

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:38
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

"South Side of the Sky" contains my favorite piano interlude of all time.  Almost Emerson-esque.  Fragile was one of the Prog albums (also ELP's Trilogy) in my mom's collection that she would listen to when I was young, before I had any concept of what Prog was.  It remains a favorite to this day.
  One of their best! Ever! Such emotion through their playing on that track. They were emotionally charged and on a mission. Rick Wakeman stated that on their first rehearsal of putting this material together, nothing was said. That each line created by each of them just fell together without actual verbal communication. Like a magical experience. I have yet to see an official live CD release of this unit, of this year, surface on the market. I don't know why that would be, but it's surely unjust. 
LittleMilton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 13:15
sitting at work this afternoon
and found myself mentally hearing
south side of the sky again
in all it's studio glory

and Squire's backing vocals
on the piano part in the middle
are extraordinary,
and it occurred to me that
his vocal harmonies may be somewhat overlooked
in the Yes portion of the universe

Heart

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 15:37
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I think you misspelled "dukebox" the second time. LOL

In my defence I was a bit pissed when I authored the post....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 15:38
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

One of their best! Ever! Such emotion through their playing on that track. They were emotionally charged and on a mission. Rick Wakeman stated that on their first rehearsal of putting this material together, nothing was said. That each line created by each of them just fell together without actual verbal communication. Like a magical experience. I have yet to see an official live CD release of this unit, of this year, surface on the market. I don't know why that would be, but it's surely unjust. 

Imagine having a mother into Prog....Mine was into Ella Fitzgerald and Nat King Cole and the rat pack and the like....

Edited by M27Barney - May 19 2014 at 15:38
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 22:04
Wonderful album indeed, my favourite from the band along with CttE, easily. And this 2 stand among my very favourites from the classic prog era. Also, I don't really have much problem with the short solo tracks, for they are short enough for ignoring them in the middle of the great group songs, and most of them aren't really bad anyway. "We Have Heaven" is kind of enjoyable, though any longer than that would have been terrible, and it's a great intro for "South Side of the Sky", "The Fish" is actually really good, and for me it's part of "Long Distance Runaround"... I just don't feel the song is complete without that "bass solo" at the end. "Mood for a Day" is also a wonderful song, and I don't see much any prog lover could complain about that one. Bruford's part may be the most unecessary and unenjoyable on the album, but being barely half a minute, it doesn't really do any damage to the enjoyment of the album. Perhaps the closest one to be bad for the album would be Cans and Brahms, which I don't particularly like and is isn't as short as for ignoring it... but it's still short enough and I don't really dislike it either, however, knowing the alternative, it is kind of a disapointment. For, once I read that the song that became "Catherine of Aragon" was originally planned to be Wakeman's solo contribution to this album... and that one would really have made the album even better (specially if he were to have been suported by the band as the song appeared on 6 Wives), but there was some problem with his own label which wouldn't allow him to contribute any song writing to Yes, so he had to go for this arrangement instead. On the other hand, if he had actually used that song with Yes, it would be missing on 6 Wives, which is another wonderful album from the 70's prog.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Wonderful album indeed, my favourite from the band along with CttE, easily. And this 2 stand among my very favourites from the classic prog era. Also, I don't really have much problem with the short solo tracks, for they are short enough for ignoring them in the middle of the great group songs, and most of them aren't really bad anyway. "We Have Heaven" is kind of enjoyable, though any longer than that would have been terrible, and it's a great intro for "South Side of the Sky", "The Fish" is actually really good, and for me it's part of "Long Distance Runaround"... I just don't feel the song is complete without that "bass solo" at the end. "Mood for a Day" is also a wonderful song, and I don't see much any prog lover could complain about that one. Bruford's part may be the most unecessary and unenjoyable on the album, but being barely half a minute, it doesn't really do any damage to the enjoyment of the album. Perhaps the closest one to be bad for the album would be Cans and Brahms, which I don't particularly like and is isn't as short as for ignoring it... but it's still short enough and I don't really dislike it either, however, knowing the alternative, it is kind of a disapointment. For, once I read that the song that became "Catherine of Aragon" was originally planned to be Wakeman's solo contribution to this album... and that one would really have made the album even better (specially if he were to have been suported by the band as the song appeared on 6 Wives), but there was some problem with his own label which wouldn't allow him to contribute any song writing to Yes, so he had to go for this arrangement instead. On the other hand, if he had actually used that song with Yes, it would be missing on 6 Wives, which is another wonderful album from the 70's prog.

Yes, the Bruford tune Five Per Cent For Nothing is just a joke. I don't know why Cans and Brahms was even on the album. I usually skip it. Mood for a Day is a nice piece for solo guitar, but like The Clap on The Yes Albums, I don't really see the point in it being included on Fragile. As for the Wakeman piece not being included, I'm glad as I would have skipped it, too. I'm not a big Wakeman fan in general. I admire his keyboard skills, but can't say I'm very fond of his songwriting.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>