Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThought's on 'Homo Erraticus' - Ian Anderson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 00:59
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I was not impressed by Homo Erraticus or it's predecessor as can be seen from my reviews of both albums. The mere fact that Opahle sounds almost exactly like Martin Barre on both albums is a dead give away to Anderson's intent on making formulaic Tull sounding prog albums which I frankly find insulting. It begs one to ask the question "What is progressive about copying your own sound?" The A album was more progressive than these two albums, IMO.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but just as an FYI to anyone who isn't aware, Florian Opahle played guitar with Greg Lake's tour sometime in the middle of the last decade. A DVD was made in 2006 called simply, Greg Lake Live. Opahle played a fair portion of Keith Emerson's parts. I wonder out loud what Opahle would sound like if he played like himself instead of someone else.

Lake did employ a keyboard player on that tour who was also the musical director. I haven't seen the DVD for a long while so I might dig it out.. I remember going to see one of those gigs and had stayed in the worse hotel I've ever come across but that's another story..
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 16:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I was not impressed by Homo Erraticus or it's predecessor as can be seen from my reviews of both albums. The mere fact that Opahle sounds almost exactly like Martin Barre on both albums is a dead give away to Anderson's intent on making formulaic Tull sounding prog albums which I frankly find insulting. It begs one to ask the question "What is progressive about copying your own sound?" The A album was more progressive than these two albums, IMO.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but just as an FYI to anyone who isn't aware, Florian Opahle played guitar with Greg Lake's tour sometime in the middle of the last decade. A DVD was made in 2006 called simply, Greg Lake Live. Opahle played a fair portion of Keith Emerson's parts. I wonder out loud what Opahle would sound like if he played like himself instead of someone else.

Lake did employ a keyboard player on that tour who was also the musical director. I haven't seen the DVD for a long while so I might dig it out.. I remember going to see one of those gigs and had stayed in the worse hotel I've ever come across but that's another story..

I am now watching the DVD and guess who that keyboard player and musical director was?

Fans of the UK version of Strictly Come Dancing may know who it is. I like the programme but I never made the connection before watching the DVD

Dave Arch
Cool
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 00:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Watched the DVD in  its entirety and Dave Arch plays pretty much all Keith Emerson keyboard parts aided by another keyboard player on the other side of the stage when required. Opahle was certainly not brought in to play keyboard parts on guitar. Lake doesn't just play ELP songs either with a couple of Crimson songs thrown in as well as solo songs and covers of classic rock n roll tracks. Florian is obviously a very versatile guitarist but of course he is directed to play what is required here and with Ian Anderson. His versatility to adapt is obviously a strong point not a weakness.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 04:55
I think the album is quite pleasant, I think it is a step up instrumentally from TAAB2. However Ian Andersons voice annoys me a bit on this one.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 01:41
I don't find Anderson's vocals annoying but otherwise agree with you.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:05
First impressions: a decent album with some great Tull moments, but all Anderson and his trusty flute. Nothing new under the sun but it delivers what fans come to expect from the legend.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 18:50
I just saw this album on the store I visit regularly... but I feel it's a bit too expensive, given that I did like what I heard once from it, but not that much. It was the deluxe edition with the DVD, but it was over 30 dollars (imported). I asked if they could order the regular edition, and it was even more expensive (around 40 dollars). So I guess if it's still around in a couple of weeks I might buy it if I make up my mind, otherwise I might check the prices on Amazon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123