FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMath Rock vs. Math Metal Bias

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Math Rock vs. Math Metal Bias
    Posted: May 18 2014 at 21:10
As has become apparent through my searching over the site and from several ill-fated suggestions, PA does not seem to be receptive of math metal unless it also carries other prominent progressive qualities. This is especially true of djent bands, though there are a couple of glaring exceptions.

Now, this is juxtaposed with the inclusion of various math rock bands who, on the whole, do not have any other major prog elements (WARNING: Lots of opinion here, obviously).

To create a baseline, we'll define the major aspects of math rock (as defined on PA):

- Complex structures (kinda vague, but worthy nonetheless)

- Angular melodies

- Atypical rhythms/time signatures/keys/polyrhythms (my own logical conclusion about the genre, not explicitly mentioned on PA)

- Abrupt musical changes

For the purposes of this argument, we shall assume that math metal retains these same qualities, but in a more extreme and heavy environment. Furthermore, PA does not contain an (obvious) math metal section or definition.

Evidence, you ask? Here we have the math pop band This Town Needs Guns; I love them, they are brilliant musicians, and they definitely deserve to be on PA, which they are. However, aside from the heavy use of atypical rhythms/time signatures and interesting modal changes, they are not progressive; they are very much an indie pop band besides their heavy 'math' qualities.

Using this line of evidence, it becomes clear that math rock bands that exhibit no other prog facets can be accepted into the welcoming arms of PA. I have nothing against this, and am in fact very much in favor of this; 'math' bands are, indeed, proggy.

However, when one examines the states of math metal. djent, and mathcore on the site, the situation is starkly different. As of the writing of this, Volumes, one of the premier math metal bands in the United States that is gaining acclaim for their innovative songwriting and complex musical structures, has two 'No' votes on Progfreak.

(Note: For those who claim these are singular cases, I may easily provide more examples.)

The conclusion to be drawn here is that bands existing in the extreme 'math' realm are discriminated against for lacking prog qualities outside of being mathy, whereas those artists residing in the less-than-metal area are given permit to enter on that merit alone. I was, in fact, once told (over a year ago) following one of my suggestions to the site that math metal and especially djent bands were not always welcome on the site; my suggestion did, however, work out.

Have a listen:

Unless you consider experimentation a 'prog' quality in and of itself, these bands exhibit few progressive aspects other than the aforementioned math rock qualities.

Now for some math metal:

Djent:

The first three are rejected or in danger of being rejected artists that exhibit the qualities of math rock mentioned above, only in a more extreme sense.

Interestingly, the final video is Meshuggah's hilarious music video for my favorite song (also one of the hardest songs for a guitarist's picking hand ever written). You may notice how repetitive and consistent the song structure of their songs are, but the overlaying polyrythms and intense musical phrasings create the first incarnation of djent and math metal. Meshuggah is not a proggy band, but they are mathy as all holy hell, which clearly counts around here...at least for them.

So, several ideas/questions:

Are djent bands looked down upon at all? Meshuggah, the progenitors of the genre are here, as well the biggest names, such as Periphery and Monuments, but the inclusions feel spotty.

Are mathcore bands looked down upon? Does PA consider a focus on highly technical and intense displays of irregular time sigs and rhythms to be progressive in its own right? As an example:

Botch was included,

As well as Dillinger, but what about a band such as Benea Reach?

They were rejected, though that was admittedly before their latest effort was released.

Why the lack of math metal support? Math metal/djent is becoming a global phenomenon, and I see little to no support on the site as far as definitions of the genre and clear acceptance of it as a genre go. Hell, you could create a whole new subdivision of Tech/Extreme for math metal/mathcore alone.

If you need someone to head a new Math Metal or Mathcore team for you in pursuit of such goals, I know my fair share about these genres Wink  they are my favorite, after all.

As was mentioned, there are clear exceptions to these opinions, and I do not believe a lack of support for math metal is necessarily the norm. It could in fact just be that the team members found the level to which these bands exhibited their 'math' qualities was insufficient. If that is the case, then I disagree with but understand and support their decisions. I have nothing but respect for the members of all the various teams Thumbs Up

My main question remains: Are 'math' qualities sufficient for inclusion on PA? I think they should be, and I do believe there is evidence in math rock that suggests it is acceptable on its own, but what do you all think?

Edited by CoolJimmi - May 18 2014 at 21:17
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 02:28
I think it's a good thing someone brought this topic up, as I've thought about these same questions too. What are the "prerequisites" for inclusion? Is it structure, sound or odd time sigs that are of most importance here. I too have noticed inconsistencies.   
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:34
First off, I'm going to beat one of my favourite old drums again. I hate the term djent (and to a lesser extent math metal) as it makes absolutely no sense and is completely superfluous as over the last 6 years or so I've seen it retroactively attached to just about every tech metal band going since the late 80's, or at least those that arent so obviously Thrash or early Death Metal based.

The problem here is that the qualities stated in the OP are pretty typical of metal to begin with, a tech metal band is going to have to do more than just that to be considered a prog band (witness the likes of Death, Cynic and Atheist who added jazz into their death metal), which I'm pretty certain is why so many of them get rejected. The difference here between Math Rock and Metal is that MR starts from an indie rock base which doesn't typically have those qualities, it's adding something that at least in the early days was new and different and created a new sub genre of rock whereas with metal, well, see my opening sentence.

I listened to that Volumes track, there was absolutely nothing innovative or overly complex about it's song writing and structure, in fact I'd say it was about as bog standard and run of the mill as it gets.   
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:09
The term progressive seems to be a word throughout all music to describe something that goes slightly against the grain or that contorts tradition. Baring in mind that most "djent" nowadays (agreed sleeper, it's a stupid expression) is starting to sound very samey, naturally I would conclude that it's not progressive. Meshuggah are progressive as they pioneered that sound, Tesseract are progressive as they brought a melodic element in, Car Bomb are progressive as they took what Meshuggah were doing and blended it with sheer, seemingly disorganised, chaos, that soon seems to be in fact very structured. Are copies of these bands progressive? I would argue no, not in the same way. They may push their individual sounds to new places, but on the spectrum of music they are conservative (I hate this debate). Not saying they are bad, quite the contrary, some are bloody amazing, but they aren't progressive.

The notion of being progressive can't possibly be a genre, as by being progressive you are altering a tradition, and genre relies upon tradition. It's more of a trait than a genre. Of course this is just my perception...

sleeper, I agree with most things you say, but I wouldn't say Death, Cynic and Atheist put jazz in their music. All I can hear are quite sections, odd time and a broader sense of melody during composed solos, no real jazz language at all. But then against, I wouldn't really call Jazz a genre either, more of a philosophy, so you could be right.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:44
djent isn't a genre 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:58
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

djent isn't a genre 
it's a djenre
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

djent isn't a genre 
it's a djenre
LOL

Hey, djon't make djokes!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 20:54
If your point is we should more selective with Math Rock then I agree. If your point is we should more inclusive with prog-metal then I disagree.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 05:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

djent isn't a genre 
it's a djenre
LOL

Hey, djon't make djokes!

I think it's more of a djenerational thing
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 20:59
djent get my dejented or ill djent the djent out of djent ok djents?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:27
A slightly off-topic question, for those of you who know better than me. Would you consider a very minimalistic band like Sonar to be math rock? I have recently discovered Swans (who are actually listed as math rock on PA) and I'm suprised at how similar the two bands sound.

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - May 28 2014 at 13:28

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:47
Swans wouldn't be Math-Rock but were included for their Post-Rock influences. I believe a lot of early PR bands say that they were heavily influenced by Swans. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 16:13
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

A slightly off-topic question, for those of you who know better than me. Would you consider a very minimalistic band like Sonar to be math rock? I have recently discovered Swans (who are actually listed as math rock on PA) and I'm suprised at how similar the two bands sound.

Sonar are here in RIO/Avant and they have been described as being an instrumental version of post-reunion Swans (who have nothing to do with math rock).
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply