Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Black Codex (NL) for Symphonic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 13:57
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Do you think that it is maybe something that Crossover should take a crack at?

No thank you please.  Big smile
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 14:05
I suppose being on both teams, you did already take a crack at it. LOL  Probably listened to all CDs twice...once wearing your neo hat and once wearing your crossover hat...followed up by a six-pack and a long nap.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 14:30

^ now that you mention it, yes, it was something like that, you say six pack, I say why stop at six, you say long nap, I say drunken slobber fest . . . potato pot-tah-to.  :)

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 14:32
LOL
ModernProg3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 04:07
I listened to this project on spotify today. Very nice stuff. Too bad it wasn't accepted. From what I have heared so far it sounds like a more symphonic version of "Chris" to me. 
Can anyone please tell me if the 2 disc-versions contain booklets, too. 
It would be much less expensive for me to buy them seperately and now I have to decide very fast. 
With Progalbums you never know how fast they become collectors items.
amatala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 04:26
Yeah, it's a full-blown Symphonic Prog concept album. Too bad some people would not know Prog even if it hit them straight in the face, but what can you do?

Anyway, to answer your question: the booklet is only included with the box. The separate 2 disc sets do not have booklets.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:38
I can't believe it wasn't accepted BUT I'm sure you mistake about Collabs and Teams in PA. IMO They are know music specially Progressive Rock music perfectly and they are professional . There are too many bands that suggest by PA forum members (like me) and maybe they (team members) haven't enough time to listen carefully to your "Long Time Project". 
Perhaps they should spend more time for your released and IMO The Black Codex is a symphonic Prog band.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 12:02
Originally posted by amatala amatala wrote:

Yeah, it's a full-blown Symphonic Prog concept album. Too bad some people would not know Prog even if it hit them straight in the face, but what can you do?

Anyway, to answer your question: the booklet is only included with the box. The separate 2 disc sets do not have booklets.

It's a full blown Symphonic album FOR YOU.

Our team is very well informed about Symphonic, Bhikkhu and myself may be two of the only persosns that has at least one album of each and every Symphonic band here, we've been in the team for 9 years, we cleaned the genre from bands that weren't remotely Symphonic or added bands that were lost in Prog Metal (Before the PM team was created) or in Prog Related

With Bhikkhu and Clem of Nazareth we made 275 bios in 2 months and created the genre as it is today, all our bios are original.

Scott and Anton have been in  the team for three years and have checked more bands than most of the prog listeners...Louis is a new member and wasn't in the team in that moment, so he is not respónsible 

Normally I'm the hard face of the team and reject the borderline bands, but in this case HT and myself voted yes and were MISTAKEN, I trust my team and they made me notice some aspects that I omitted, so I had to agree with them.

But I agree 100% with  my team members, this is not a Symphonic release, IMO should go to Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) with some similar projects like:

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 29 2015 at 12:47

amatala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:48
It's not relevant what the past credentials are, anyone voting no on the inclusion of this clearly hasn't spent enough time to understand the project and see it for what it really is.
And btw this is not "my" project in any way, just something I thought I'd mention for this site to be the most complete possible and help others discover this excellent project.
The fact that other reviewers can recognize for what it is (and I quote "refined symphonic prog" for those not speaking French) while the teams here cannot gives a serious blow to this site's credibility...

https://www.facebook.com/theblackcodex/posts/852571364832630

http://www.progwereld.org/cms/album/christiaan-bruin-black-codex/

PS: Adding this Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) doesn't actually make much sense as this is a release by a single artist and it's not a compilation either. If no team wants to accept it, then assume your decision and leave it out of the site completely.

Edited by amatala - August 29 2015 at 14:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:48

It's not relevant what the past credentials are, anyone voting no on the inclusion of this clearly hasn't spent enough time to understand the project and see it for what it really is.
And btw this is not "my" project in any way, just something I thought I'd mention for this site to be the most complete possible and help others discover this excellent project.

We spent enough time, we discussed it, but we couldn't reach an agreement.

This is the most complete site and the most serious one, we have teams who search hundreds of bands and many are not accepted, we normally don't decide by what others say, we check each and every band suggested.

The fact that other reviewers can recognize for what it is (and I quote "refined symphonic prog" for those not speaking French) while the teams here cannot gives a serious blow to this site's credibility...

https://www.facebook.com/theblackcodex/posts/852571364832630

http://www.progwereld.org/cms/album/christiaan-bruin-black-codex/

What other reviewers?

Is it in Proggnosis?..............NO
Is it in GEPR?......................NO
Is it in Progressive Ears.?.....NO
Is it in DPRP?......................NO
Is it in Progressor?...............NO

So, the band is not mentioned in the most reliable sites

Now, Progwereld doesn't mention the word Symphonic once

Our credibility is based in our teams, we always done the job and done it well, what other sites say is not too important to us, but it's a reference...Most people see Symphony as a synonym of Prog, or say symphonic to any orchestral album, we don't....We have our own parameters.

PS: Adding this Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) doesn't actually make much sense as this is a release by a single artist and it's not a compilation either. If no team wants to accept it, then assume your decision and leave it out of the site completely.

I have nothing to do with other teams, if they are rejected is because they don't fit here.

Our call is NO FOR SYMPHONIC and I stand on it, despite I originally voted yes.

If you like it great, if you don't, then it's your problem, but please respect the work we do, is the list we can ask.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 29 2015 at 14:49

amatala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:57
The important thing to understand about PA is that it works like a family owned business.
Only PA teams get to decide what's right by their own undisclosed criteria behind close doors.
When you reject a proposal, you should at least explain in detail what were the exact criteria of the rejection.

You just say that YOU said NO and YOU have listened to at least one album from every band that YOU believe to be Symphonic Prog, which makes YOU know best... Erm... If you would just take a moment and think about how ridiculous that sounds...

Anyway, all fine by me. I think we can both agree that it's your site and your rules, which means your Prog by your definition.

Edited by amatala - August 29 2015 at 15:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:39

The important thing to understand about PA is that it works like a family owned business.
Only PA teams get to decide what's right by their own undisclosed criteria behind close doors.
When you reject a proposal, you should at least explain in detail what were the exact criteria of the rejection.

You just say that YOU said NO and YOU have listened to at least one album from every band that YOU believe to be Symphonic Prog, which makes YOU know best... Erm... If you would just take a moment and think about how ridiculous that sounds...

Anyway, all fine by me. I think we can both agree that it's your site and your rules, which means your Prog by your definition.

If you don't  like it, bad luck.

BTW: We explain our reasons in the thread in the Collaborators section, because when we did it in an open thread there was chaos.

As a fact we are one of the teams who explain member by member our position

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Black Codex are very odd. Done symph mixed with eclectic musicianship and vocals that sound at times like Psychedelic. Not sure where they belong. It's a hard one to pigeon hole. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I'm still sceptical but if everyone will say yes then I will give it another listen. For the moment I stick with the view that it is Prog Related or Various Artists.

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Black Codex are very odd. Done symph mixed with eclectic musicianship and vocals that sound at times like Psychedelic. Not sure where they belong. It's a hard one to pigeon hole. What do you guys think?

I voted yes at first, and HT also, but the rules of the site say 3 yes votes and no negative votes, by¿ut my final opimnion was different

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I think that it's what we call in Perú "a tailor's box" (A box where a tailor puts small pieces of fabric, needles, scissors and thread of every color and class)

The problem is that even when it sounds as a musical soundscore, the closest could be Symphonic

But maybe the best option is in VA: CONCEPT ALBUMS

We sent it to Neo Prog and we received this reply

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Hello all,

Regarding The Black Codex we have voted to send them back your way with a 2-1 vote.

I'll parrot my comments from the neo thread, 

The Black Codex:

My initial gut said no or 'move to Symph', I really agree with most of Fritz' comments in the Symph thread. 

I think if it is included on the site in one of the conceptual genres, then Symph is a better fit than Neo is.  They don't have any of the modern sound that is associated with Neo.  The focus on orchestral instruments leads me to point back to Symph.  Also, I don't think that the inclusion of one part of the band in Neo should necessitate all of the side projects being included in here as well.  Peter Gabriel and Steven Wilson are two very visible examples of solo artists appearing in a different genre than the parent band.

I say back to symph, though like Fritz, I don't see this band having enough 'rock' content to feel strongly about their inclusion on the site.

I'm also good with the various artists suggestion, I just really don't hear the Neo in them.

Rock on folks!

So the decision is taken, and discussed largely by two teams.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 29 2015 at 15:42

amatala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:15
Well, thanks for the insight. As I suspected, there is no real strong reason for rejection - just everyone's feeling that there's something odd about it. It's a pity that no one has taken the proper time to listen a few times to the whole thing and try to understand it properly. By including it on this site I was just hoping the project to get a better exposure to the Prog community.

Edited by amatala - August 29 2015 at 17:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:03

Well, thanks for the insight. As I suspected, there is no real strong reason for rejection - just everyone's feeling that there's something odd about it. It's a pity that no one has taken the proper time to listen a few times to the whole thing and try to understand it properly. By including it on this site I was just hoping the project to get a better exposure to the Prog community.

There's a strong reason.

It's not Symphonic.

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:45
Ok, everyone calm down.

Amatala, please recognize that we choose our collaborators carefully for their expertise in the genres that they work in, and I have full confidence that they chose correctly in this assessment. When the band releases another album, they can absolutely be re-evaluated and perhaps admitted for their new material.

And Ivan, please also show restraint in your explanations of the team's procedure, as some of your comments came off as a bit blunt. You were just in your explanations, but obviously amatala is frustrated and we need to show understanding.

Any other questions can be sent to me via PM.
amatala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:52
I do recognize the fact that you choose your collaborators carefully, but you should also recognize the fact that sometimes they can be wrong. There is no such thing as Doctor in Prog with an official certificate or diploma, no one can be right in 100% of the cases and with a small team of experts it's quite possible that enough votes are wrong to have legitimate artists get rejected.
In cases like this where things are unclear and no one is sure, there should be a way to review a decision. This is clearly Prog, yet it gets left out. It's not Neo? Of course it isn't. It's not Symphonic? Well, I am not sure about that. But clearly it is Prog, yet no other team has the courage to evaluate it because of the length...
You already have Chris on your site and his latest album is very similar in style with The Black Codex (also same musicians play on both).

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=43048

This album is already wrongly listed as Neo Prog as it has nothing to do with that. I understand that this site does not have the flexibility of RYM where different albums of the same artist can belong to different genres (and this is a very strong limitation IMO as many Prog artists go across diferent genres), but not having the flexibility of adding a stylistically similar album by the same artist (just under a different name) is something I cannot easily understand.

Moreover this is probably a one-time project, which has only an album (of more than 7 hours!) and may never release another album ever again so it will never get re-evaluated. I think you should be able to go past your rigid procedures and rules and recognize the fact that in some cases exceptions are necessary.

mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 02:24
Since The Black Codex is considered not pure enough for symphonic, why is it not suggested to crossover or eclectic teams?

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

we've been in the team for 9 years

With all due respect, I think it more speaks against you. Any group that stays unchanged for a long time is apt to become at least a bit too rigid and overconfident, especially in accepting new ideas etc.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 09:44
Symphonic Rock does not mean the same thing as Symphonic Prog Rock.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 01:18
Originally posted by mogol mogol wrote:

With all due respect, I think it more speaks against you. Any group that stays unchanged for a long time is apt to become at least a bit too rigid and overconfident, especially in accepting new ideas etc.

By the contrary.

In the old days, we would had sent the band to Prog Related, we became far more open, we have admitted bands that are barely Symphonic

BTW: HT and myself (The oldest members of the team) voted YES, only after reading the posts of the other collaborators, I changed my vote.

Iván

PS: The team hasn't remained unchanged, we had  ad least 15 different members like Micky, Raff, ClemofNazareth, Cesar Inca, FragileDT, etc, etc. etc.

Louis has less than a month in the team, HT returned last year after a couple years sabbatical, SouthsideoftheSky has more or less two years.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 04 2015 at 01:23

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 01:19
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Symphonic Rock does not mean the same thing as Symphonic Prog Rock.

That's the point, Orchestra and classical influences don't always mean Symphonic Prog.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>