Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 18:15
Steve, very sorry to hear what you're going through.  Your family are to be commended for going the distance in terms of caring for an older rellie, it is very hard.  Most people would not make the choice to assume that level of responsibility.  I can't offer much advice really.  With my Dad, we did make that decision once we realized things were going south.  We brought him home against the advice of the nursing home, because we wanted him to die at home where he wanted so bad to be.  They told us we had no idea what we were getting into.  They were rightLOL It was a 24 hour a day job being shared by just a few people and a visiting hospice helper every few days.  You certainly learn a lot about yourself and your family when you enter into that. 

My Dad's window was short, which was fortunate because his care at home was not sustainable, especially for my elderly Mom.  But in retrospect we are all so grateful that things worked out as they did, and he was able to die in the exact place he would have wanted.  So yeah, you are giving this man a gift that in our modern world is not all that common anymore.  I wish you all the luck and strength it will take.  And I hope his wife will allow you to bring in more help.  You might just have to be direct and play bad cop on that one.  Sometimes the spouse can't accept certain things but sometimes it has to happen.  Had my Dad's window been much longer, we would have had to make some even more difficult decisions.

With regard to your remarks about Wales....I didn't know you lived there.  I've always had this image of Wales in my mind from the Rain Song sequences of Song Remains the Same.  Is Wales really that heavenly? 

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 23:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Why, thank you chaps. It is great that you are stopping by!Hug

I like your playlist and I like that you chose some non Prog acts as well. Good diversity.
Listen, I wanted to ask you what Gary Numan albums you really enjoy?
I really love his live album 'Living Ornaments' pt 1&2. It's awesome.

I have Replicas and The Pleasure Principle, both of which are excellent. How about persuading me to buy Living Ornaments with a short review?

Well those are 2 great albums and pivotal moments in the career of Mr. Numan.
So a short review huh? Well, I'd be honored master Laz. ;)

The Living Ornaments is a spanning and very captivating live album that portrays the last fleeting moments of Gary Numan's premature last or'rah as a musician and performer. Obviously Numan, never did officially retire after 1981 but he said that his last 3 shows would be performed at the historic Wembley Arena on April 26,27th and 28th. The Living Ornaments capture these last three shows showcasing some of Numan's most popular and experimental tracks up until 1981. Pt 1 contains the wonderful 'remind Me To Smile', the robotic 'M.E' and the loving 'remember I was Vapour.'
Pt 2 ventures into Numan's massive hits like the classic synth laden 'Cars' and the incredibly catchy, electronically infused 'Down In The Park' which for me personally is my favourite Gary Numan track of all time. As for the astonishingly emotional conclusion, Numan closes with the heart grabbing "We are Glass/Outro" which really was his way of saying 'good bye.'
The living Ornamnents Pt1&2 is a must have for any true Gary Numan fan. He gives it his all and when you listen to this 2 pt album, you should too. ;)

Enjoy my friend. Hope I make a convincing case for you.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 23:47
Also Steve. My grandmother on my mother's side of my family died from Alzheimer's/dementia. She lived till 78. I think about her when I listen to Marillion's "Neverland' because she always believed in things and finding things in life that were bigger than herself. She was a sweet person and a very well-rounded woman. Her death was extremely hard on our family, but we rallied together as a tightly nit group and over time beat the hell out of the grief we were all going through. I really hope your family can/will do the same.
My thoughts are with you. Have a beautiful day and I look forward to hearing/seeing your next playlist.
Maybe "Living Ornaments" can crack your list soon enough.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 03:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I feel you Steve. My grandfather sounds awfully close to your father in law. He's an old retired lumberjack, who before that was a farmer. So hard working all of his life, used to using his body and telling people he was on top of whatever issue he could help out with. Now he can hardly move. My folks and myself very often have to come and help him get out of bed, in and out of the house etc etc. My grandmother though wouldn't hear anything of professional help. You know like in a nurse dropping by 2 or 3 times daily to help out. No no no, she could definitely take care of her husband.
Then he got something called helvedes ild which translates into Hell Fire. He felt like his whole body was on fire, and there was little we or my grandmother could do to ease his pain. We called for a doctor, and he came and prescribed something. Anyway, we talked to him about the problems he'd been having, also the toilet thang, and then kindly asked him whether he'd like to give it a shot. Maybe the doc saying the same things we'd been saying would help.
It did, although first after we'd "translated" his words into geriatric speak:-P

I'm not sure any of this helps Steve, but let me say this: peace has arrived here after all of this. Oh the joy!

Thanks David.

I am glad he is getting the help he needs, and peace has descended upon the Guldbamsen household!

Your grandmother sounds just like my mother in law in terms of the loving obstinacy that elderly spouses have - see my response to Jim's post.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 03:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Loved several of your song choices, Laz. I've enjoyed The Decemberists' The Hazards of Love since its release (and that album is prog, don't you think?), and Big Big Train's English Electric 2 (and "Judas Unrepentant" in particular) and S. Wilson's The Raven Who Refused to Sing for the last year or two. I'll delve into a few that you mentioned that I am less familiar with. 

Keep up the good listening.Wink

Cheers, Mr Elf. The hits will keep on a'comin!Thumbs Up
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 03:41
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Steve, very sorry to hear what you're going through.  Your family are to be commended for going the distance in terms of caring for an older rellie, it is very hard.  Most people would not make the choice to assume that level of responsibility.  I can't offer much advice really.  With my Dad, we did make that decision once we realized things were going south.  We brought him home against the advice of the nursing home, because we wanted him to die at home where he wanted so bad to be.  They told us we had no idea what we were getting into.  They were rightLOL It was a 24 hour a day job being shared by just a few people and a visiting hospice helper every few days.  You certainly learn a lot about yourself and your family when you enter into that. 

My Dad's window was short, which was fortunate because his care at home was not sustainable, especially for my elderly Mom.  But in retrospect we are all so grateful that things worked out as they did, and he was able to die in the exact place he would have wanted.  So yeah, you are giving this man a gift that in our modern world is not all that common anymore.  I wish you all the luck and strength it will take.  And I hope his wife will allow you to bring in more help.  You might just have to be direct and play bad cop on that one.  Sometimes the spouse can't accept certain things but sometimes it has to happen.  Had my Dad's window been much longer, we would have had to make some even more difficult decisions.

With regard to your remarks about Wales....I didn't know you lived there.  I've always had this image of Wales in my mind from the Rain Song sequences of Song Remains the Same.  Is Wales really that heavenly? 

Thanks Jim. As ever, a lovely response.

You are absolutely right about the bad cop point. In face, one of the reasons the situation was so much on my mind last night when I blogged was the fact I took the first tentative steps towards that role......and got an earful in response!LOL I will, though, keep trying, because he is now moving on from the carer's coming in twice a day, and the rest of us (primarily his loving, very stubborn wife) managing the rest. We need to get him better and more professional care. How we do it, I am not sure yet, but we will manage. We are a strong family.

As regards Wales, My mother is English, and my father is of Maltese extraction (my grandfather married my Maltese grandmother before WWII). I moved to Wales in 1999 as a result of an internal promotion in the UK Inland Revenue.

I met my wife here, and my son is being brought up as Welsh. I absolutely adore it, and there are parts of this country which are stunningly beautiful, and the contrasts are vast as well. The Rain Song sequences put me in mind of Snowdonia in North Wales, which is where, of course, Led Zep III was written. The large, undeveloped, parts of Mid Wales hills are gorgeousand can get wild, whilst I live in a part of West Wales called the Gwendraeth Valley. My house overlooks said valley, and the views bring a strange kind of peace whilst walking the dog in the morning. Further to the west, we have the coastal counties of Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, which have some of the finest walks in the world, whilst to the east are the old mining valleys of South and South East Wales, which have their own kind of rough hewn beauty.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 03:44

Also Steve. My grandmother on my mother's side of my family died from Alzheimer's/dementia. She lived till 78. I think about her when I listen to Marillion's "Neverland' because she always believed in things and finding things in life that were bigger than herself. She was a sweet person and a very well-rounded woman. Her death was extremely hard on our family, but we rallied together as a tightly nit group and over time beat the hell out of the grief we were all going through. I really hope your family can/will do the same.
My thoughts are with you. Have a beautiful day and I look forward to hearing/seeing your next playlist.

Thanks Nicholas. The Numan extravaganza is now on the "to buy" list, which gets bigger each and every day!Wink

I get your point about Neverland and your grandmother very much. What a lovely thought, and I know that Hogarth has said many times that that track, in particular, has resonated on a very personal level with so many fans.

We will pull through I know.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 15:56
In Blighty, it is a Bank Holiday, this one celebrating Whitsun, although I fear that half of our Godless population would not really realise this, nor what it means! (it is our name for Pentecost for those of you elsewhere).

Being a Bank Holiday, and a remarkably dry one here in God's Own Country  (copyright Cymru Am Byth), there was only one thing to do really, and that was a good eight hours in the garden, catching up on all the jobs that had been left by the recent downpours. As I remarked yesterday,  we have caring responsibilities in the house, and doing the physical work around the home is (rightly) one of my major tasks. It helps that I have rather taken to it, I suppose.

I must, btw, thank those of you who were kind enough to respond to last night's blog. It means a great deal, believe me.

Today was a major workout for my post operative foot, and it has held up incredibly well. Methinks a round of golf (I have not played for over a year now) could be getting closer!!

The wife is watching a load of Simon Cowell cobblers on the goggle box, and there is no Game Of Thrones tonight (American holiday as well), so I chose a varied and eclectic playlist to relax to:

The Hanging Tree. Arena. A fantastic track from the excellent The Visitor. Full of bombast and feeling. I remain in hope that this great outfit can get back to making classic stuff like this again.

How Many Friends. The Who. From By Numbers, a rather less well known album from the classic Brit Mod rockers. It is nowhere near their best, but I do like Daltrey's vocals on this, ranging from the fragile to angry, as he blasts out one of Townsend's particular neuroses at this time (there were plenty of these).

Force Majeure. Tangerine Dream. Surprisingly, I suppose, for one my age, this is a band I was introduced to via PA. Of course, I knew of them, but had never delved. As a result of a thread I started quite a while ago, I took the bull by the horns, and purchased the colossal The Virgin Years, and this is a highlight. Electronic rock at its most inventive and moving. A superior force, indeed.

Cover My Eyes. Marillion. Because it's fun, and I feel like it tonight. Gloriously commercial prog pop.

One Brown Mouse (live). Jethro Tull. From the Nobs live effort, I put this on the playlist because I had a rustic rush following my horticultural efforts earlier. I adore this phase of Tull. I did, btw, listen to Homo Erraticus on Progstreaming last night. The jury is out. A few more listens are required, I feel.

Underground. Lindsey Buckingham. A work of genius from a musical genius with few to compare. Gift of Screws, from which this gem is taken, is, I think, his best solo effort, and the combination of powerful, yet mournful, guitar with a yearning vocal makes this one of his finest compositions in an illustrious career. One of the best pieces of music I have the pleasure of owning.

Sailing. Mike Oldfield. From the new album, a toe tapping joy of a single. Sometimes, all you want is a good time, eh?

Harvest of Souls. IQ. Timely, with the new album a joy to listen to. This, though, remains my favourite IQ song in a great career. Yes, of course, there are allusions to Suppers Ready, but it stands on its own two feet, and as an allegory to the "Great Satan", it is simply incredible. Holmes or Orford have never played better, and Nicholls excels. What a band.

The Brazilian. Genesis. A magnificent, and, yes, proggy, instrumental from Mr Banks. A great way to close a rather enjoyable album.

Beyond The Desert. Harvest. The gorgeous Monique leads the gorgeous Harvest. A stunning track from their remarkably mature debut, Underground Community. I really do recommend this band to anyone who enjoys melodic, female fronted, prog with the lighter touch.

That is all for tonight. Work tomorrow.

Thank you to all who take the time to read and comment on this little blog.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 19:00
Good for you Steve, I wish you the best in where things go from here.  And ultimately I bet whatever happens his wife will eventually be grateful for what you all have done, even if she is angry at the "bad cop" decisions of present. 

Thanks for telling me about Wales, maybe one day I will get to see it too.  I hope so.  Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 19:05

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 00:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

And this is kinda cool

That's a great article, and she seems to genuinely appreciate the music and history. Led Zep III is my favourite Zep album, in much the same way that Tull's folky phase is my favourite from them.

There are, of course, a number of these isolated cottages dotted around North, Mid, and West Wales where you can become virtually completely isolated from the mainstream of society. It suits a certain kind of hardy folks. Whilst I love countryside living, I'm not sure I could be that away from it all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 02:53

Thanks Nicholas. The Numan extravaganza is now on the "to buy" list, which gets bigger each and every day!Wink
I get your point about Neverland and your grandmother very much. What a lovely thought, and I know that Hogarth has said many times that that track, in particular, has resonated on a very personal level with so many fans.

I know you will. Hey. This is a lovely album I'd like to share with you.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1A4B64E9D75A41AD
This album simply put is 'beautiful.' Easy going, heart felt and sophisticated music with quite a bit of lighter, poppier moments. The album is VAST: Music For People and I feel it's one of the very best albums in the 21st century thus far.
Please enjoy when you have some time. Hope you like it. Tracks like "Lady Of My Dreams" "Free" "The Last One Alive" and the massively heart felt "A Better Place" should put you a ease.
Anyway. Great playlist today!! Love the underrated, fun track "the Brazilian" and Arena's The Visitor. ;)
I spun "Pepper's Ghost" by them today and just loved it. It never gets old for me. ;)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 14:04

This album simply put is 'beautiful.' Easy going, heart felt and sophisticated music with quite a bit of lighter, poppier moments. The album is VAST: Music For People and I feel it's one of the very best albums in the 21st century thus far.
Please enjoy when you have some time. Hope you like it. Tracks like "Lady Of My Dreams" "Free" "The Last One Alive" and the massively heart felt "A Better Place" should put you a ease.
Anyway. Great playlist today!! Love the underrated, fun track "the Brazilian" and Arena's The Visitor. ;)
I spun "Pepper's Ghost" by them today and just loved it. It never gets old for me. ;)

I just love listening to new music, so here is my take on Vast.

I have played three tracks. 

The Last One Alive left me a little bit cold. A Better Place is an expansive, extremely superior piece of modern rock, which I adored. Free I just found great fun, especially with the 50's b movies homage video.

So, thanks Nicholas. I will explore this outfit more.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 14:14
Tonight, in about an hour, BBC Four are showing a documentary on Mods and Rockers bashing each other up, with the inevitable social commentary on what it all entailed, I expect.

A must view for me, if only for the expected Who tracks and Quadrophenia clips that surely must form a part of any such documentaryThumbs Up

As for the social commentary, I hope they come to the inevitable, and correct, conclusion that it was just a bunch of kids knocking ten barrels of sh*t out of each other, without any regard to a legacy or social psychiatric issues whatsoever. They were kids being kids, end of. Anyhow, we will see.

To prepare, I am listening to one of my great finds of this year, the gorgeous Over by Frequency Drift. A fantastic album to chill too after an intense day's work and physio session, accompanied by a rather lovely Argentinian red wineBeer

I am in a remarkably relaxed and happy mood tonight, which is perhaps a lot to do with seeing my son perform on stage with members of Carmarthen Mini Players at a show held to mark the Commonwealth Games Baton procession in the town. He, and all the kids, did us proudApprove
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 15:41
In last night's blog, I said I was going to watch a BBC documentary about Mods and Rockers. Well, actually, my paper had its tv listings wrong, and the show was on Monday, so I downloaded it last nights to the iPad, and have just finished viewing.

It was BBC social history at its best. It was fascinating seeing a bunch of 60 and 70 odd year old's reminiscing about their yoof experiences.

Theirs were the first generation to break free from the shackles of being like their mums and dads. An interesting point was made that the end of National Service was a huge catalyst behind this freedom. Also, the fact that we had virtual full employment in those days.

The rockers liked to ride quick. The mods slow and look smart. Of course, there was not really a great deal of difference in them as kids, excepting the fascinating study of the mods who originally loved American r&b, and had enough money to spend on looking smart, dressing to thrill, pulling birds, and taking (then legal) drugs to stay up all night dancing and ganging around the "scene". The rockers hung out at thier venues, typically open roads and special cafés.

The most interesting aspect, though, was when they moved onto the beach fights of 1964, as immortalised by Quadrophenia. This was the year I was born. By this time, bands like The Small Faces and The 'Oo had burst onto the scene, fuelled by a massive commercialisation of the scene, so much so that the said fights were as much a product of media manipulation and far removed from the individuality of the original "tribes". As they grew up, the original members of the gangs became disillusioned, and the first inklings of modern youth culture, fuelled by mass media, manifested itself.

The Who were not original Mods. They were, rather, a product of the commercialisation of the later scene. Before tonight, I never really knew that. 

I really enjoyed the show. If you live in the UK, go into the iplayer, and take a look.

After such a show, there is only one LP to put on, really. What? You think Quadrophenia? Nah, that would be too predictable. I shoved Tommy on, instead! You know, when they were "original" psychedelic rockers!LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 00:32

I just love listening to new music, so here is my take on Vast.
I have played three tracks. 
The Last One Alive left me a little bit cold. A Better Place is an expansive, extremely superior piece of modern rock, which <span style="line-height: 1.2;">I adored. Free I just found great fun, especially with the 50's b movies homage video.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So, thanks Nicholas. I will explore this outfit more.</span>

Oh great! I'm glad VAST sat well with you. I must tell you that their debut album (Audio visual sensory theatre) is just a charming in every we sense of the word. :)

Also. I got inspired by one of your previous playlists, so i fired on English Electric pt. 2 and very much enjoyed.
My gosh does Longdon sound like Peter Gabriel. Wow. But, I very much enjoyed East Coast Racer. A very good epic. And of course, Judas Unrepentent. The emotional story of art fraudulence.
Anyway. Have a great day...in progland no less. ;)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 16:52
Short little blog tonight. Wifey, son and I have been out to a quiz night to raise money for the drama group he belongs to, a fantastic hobby for him very well run by a really nice local teaching assistant, who is a talented amateur actor in his own right, and his wife. Last year, we won the quiz, but tonight only third. We had fun, though.

Home, and said wifey has insisted upon watching bloody Britain's Got Talent, so earphones on for me, and firstly Nick Magnus' N'Monix, which I will definitely review  over the weekend. To finish before bed, the finest Porcupine Tree album, IMHO, Deadwing. The highlight for me is the exceptionally beautiful Lazarus, but, in truth, there is barely a weak moment on it. 

No blog tomorrow, as it is the Laz Friday night out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:13

Steven Wilson. The Raven That Refused To Sing....a work of utter genius. I know, for a fact, this album, when I am still listening to it in 2044 (I will be 80!), it will be on the same terms as when I listen to Nursery Cryme now in 2014, 33 years after the initial release.........I hear something new each time it is played, a frisson of emotion every time it gets spun. Surely this is the definition of musical emotion and pleasure?

I told you so!!! Great blog my friend......will keep stopping by. Can you put out some fresh chips and dip?? The last serving was a bit...stale!

LOL
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 03:13

No blog tomorrow, as it is the Laz Friday night out.

That's what I like to hear Steve Beer enjoy!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 03:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Steven Wilson. The Raven That Refused To Sing....a work of utter genius. I know, for a fact, this album, when I am still listening to it in 2044 (I will be 80!), it will be on the same terms as when I listen to Nursery Cryme now in 2014, 33 years after the initial release.........I hear something new each time it is played, a frisson of emotion every time it gets spun. Surely this is the definition of musical emotion and pleasure?

I told you so!!! Great blog my friend......will keep stopping by. Can you put out some fresh chips and dip?? The last serving was a bit...stale!
LOL

Na Jośe. Steve would serve quality English Tea and Crumpets and you know it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>