Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 11:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Glad to hear from you, Master Laz.

Hey. I'd love to hear more about that new sound system of yours?
Whatcha got, my friend? ;)

We went to PC World to buy an iron. It is a rare event for my wife to allow me to venture into geeky land of shops, so, as usual, when there, I slobbered over some Mac machines and new PC's, and saw a brand new Samsung soundbar reduced from £500 to £350. As it happened, I had a new cd in my bag, so I asked the sales rep to put it on for me.
We have surround sound connected to our projector in the sitting room, but only the telly and an xbox in the dining room, so I wanted to get a decent system for this room, and sort of make it my music room.
As soon as <span style="line-height: 1.2;">I heard the soundbar, I wanted it, and bought it. An absolute bargain, it sounds better  than the surround sound system in the sitting room. It absolutely fills the room with sound.</span>

Ummmmmm another major growing trend in the home theater sound system market. Yes. Smaller, more compressed units like sound bars and blue tooth are roaring in fast!!
Unfortunately home sound systems (doing it properly I mean) in either 5.1 or 7.1 channeling is still very much a niche and luxury market. I sense mrs. Laz doesn't want 10 speakers floating around the room with a sub woofer/command module on the floor next to the tv? Probably. Lol soundbars are killing the market right now. Space and convenience are the big sellers right now. Not everyone gets to have their very own mancave to do things properly.
I understand your purchase and may you bring it to live my friend by cranking it loud! Enjoy.

Look forward to the next list. I'm spinning ASIA MINOR's Between Flesh and Divine.
Absolutely amazing. Especially in ANALOG no less. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 09:17
Laz, I have a couple of recommendations for you.  Both are on the 10T Record label.  http://10trecords.com/

The new Iluvatar album "From The Silence".  I think that this one is a slam dunk that you will love it.  Very much in the vein of IQ; at least that is who came to mind on my first listen to this album.

The second one, which I am really enjoying, is Farpoint's "Paint The Dark".  Best reference I can give you with them would be a Christian version of Mostly Autumn.  Interactive male and female vocals, and listed here on PA as Prog Folk, but very much in a similar Neo-Progressive/Crossover Prog vein that Mostly Autumn reside in.  If Christian lyrics aren't a turnoff for you, then I think that this is one that you will really enjoy as well. 

And to throw a bonus recommendation out there, Little Atlas guitarist Roy Strattman has released his first solo album on this label titled The Lie Of The Beholder.  I've only heard the free download from here but it was quite good.  Nick D'Virgilio plays drums on the album, if that has any influence. 

The label website allows you to stream the albums if you would like to check them out.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 15:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Laz, I have a couple of recommendations for you.  Both are on the 10T Record label.  http://10trecords.com/

The new Iluvatar album "From The Silence".  I think that this one is a slam dunk that you will love it.  Very much in the vein of IQ; at least that is who came to mind on my first listen to this album.

The second one, which I am really enjoying, is Farpoint's "Paint The Dark".  Best reference I can give you with them would be a Christian version of Mostly Autumn.  Interactive male and female vocals, and listed here on PA as Prog Folk, but very much in a similar Neo-Progressive/Crossover Prog vein that Mostly Autumn reside in.  If Christian lyrics aren't a turnoff for you, then I think that this is one that you will really enjoy as well. 

And to throw a bonus recommendation out there, Little Atlas guitarist Roy Strattman has released his first solo album on this label titled The Lie Of The Beholder.  I've only heard the free download from here but it was quite good.  Nick D'Virgilio plays drums on the album, if that has any influence. 

The label website allows you to stream the albums if you would like to check them out.

Hi Scott

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I will check them out from the streams over the next couple of days and will report backTongue
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 15:08
Tonight's blog records happenings musical over the course of two nights. Last night, I decided to initiate a YouTube night. This was at a fairly late stage of the night, given that we had visited my mother in hospital (she is back in, because she was "discharged too early".......meh!), and followed this up with the altogether more cheerful going to see my son perform with the Carmarthen Mini Player's exceptional rendition of Alice In Wonderland. It was great, and huge credit to Dan & Alice for getting the kids in the zone. It takes months of practice and dedication.

So, home, and prog. For some strange reason, please don't ask me why, I thought I would view some vids pertaining to Cruise To The Edge. I would love to go on a cruise one of these days, but my wife is exceptionally uninterested, to the point of outright hostility.

Anyhow, first up was the Marillion interview for Cruise To The Edge, in which the band showed their usual great sense of humour.

After that, a live rendition on the boat of This Strange Engine. Strangely, the official version cut off near the end, just as H was beginning to warm up. Thankfully, there was a "private" tube uploaded, and I was able to see this incredible showman and voice finish the job off.

Next up, I thought, let's see how the old boys are doing. I will be buying Heaven and Earth this week, so.....Yes. Heart of The Sunrise, perhaps my favourite classic period track. Incredibly, the official CTTE tube cut off again!  From what I saw of this, Davidson held the notes incredibly well, certainly far better than poor Benoit. Having said that, the music itself was about half as quick as it was in the glory days. There is a simple fact here. These men are getting old. Squire is only a few years younger than my mother stuck in that bloody hospital in her 70's. This very stark viewing reminded me of just why I love prog so much. It is the seeking out of the young and the fresh. It is the frisson of exciting and new sounds, rather than merely rehashing old stuff badly. Retire......for God's sake......retire.

I was, of course, fed up with the official video's cutting out, so I paid a visit to IO Earth performing Home, live in Holland. This was simply stunning, rocking out, and vital. Note to self.... You gave both albums top ratings, rightly. You really must listen to these albums again soon.

Next up, a touch of Mostly Autumn. Tonight. A Cracking encore from 2013, again in Holland. The interaction between Anne-Marie Helder and Iain Jennings on keys was a joy to watch.

I then watched Mostly Autumn performing the title track from Dressed In Voices live in Southampton. It was marvellous stuff, even on an amateur vid.

So to Anne-Marie again, this time with Panic Room performing Chameleon live in Edinburgh.  A fantastic rendition, and I loved the flute at the end. Very tight performance, and a band clearly thoroughly enjoying their work.

The last Tube was the exceptional Big Big Train performing Make Some Noise. A glorious racket, with choofers in the backdrop. Gentlemen......Please tour......please....

So to Sunday, after a visit to see Mum in hospital, who looked quite well, and then watching the end of the British Open Championship (well played McIlroy), the first track played, this time an audio experience, was Sean Filkins, Epitaph for a Mariner, quite possibly one of the most moving pieces of music I have ever heard.

The Reasoning. Script Switch Trigger. A great rocker from the exceptional Adverse Camber album. My wife and I made the credits of this after entering a competition. 

Yes. Nine Voices. Back to some proper stuff from a band who I have loved so much through the years. Anderson on top form in a highlight of The Ladder.

The Beach Boys. God Only Knows. I played the Judie Tsuke version the other week. This is the original, and best. From a work of vision and genius.

From this to the utter glory of Joni Mitchell's Chelsea Morning. This woman is just about as good a singer songwriter as ever lived.

Harvest. Time Lapse, featuring Alan Reed Simply beautiful.

Charlotte Church. Lasts, or Eschaton. This lovely Welsh girl gone done grown up and produces astounding sounds. Followed by Magician's Assistant. Ditto.

Jethro Tull. Broadsword. From the last album of that glorious folk phase.

And so, to the joys of Monty Python Live. No, not the Hollywood Bowl performance all those years ago, but the comeback gig I recorded on telly earlier from London's O2 Arena. Yes, another bunch of old men who really should have called it a day...actually, they did, but thought better of it.

Report with next blog.........

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 15:21
As per usual, this blog has had to take a back seat in life priorities. My mother is still in hospital. She was told today that she was being discharged tomorrow, but an hour later after my wife intervened, that this would not happen because her blood count was "not right". Was it a doctor or nurse who pointed this out? Nope....it was the wife. I despair.

I have, though kept a record of the records I have played over the last few days, so here goes. 

I decided on Saturday night that a Marillion, or Marillion related, night was appropriate. The trigger for this was initially a desire to blast out Gaza, the extremely intelligent contribution to this tortuous subject by Steve Hogarth and band mates. This was touted as being "controversial" upon release on STCBM. In fact, it is a moving song, written from the Gazan child's perspective, which addresses most adequately the faults and injustices across both sides of the divide. The line "It just ain't right" when the child describes how they have to live is absolutely spot on, and the whole piece is a far more intelligent addition to the debate than the absurd posting of videos here by Svetonio of a bunch of Trots and other righteous activists demonstrating their ire against the big, bad, Israelis. 

As I remarked on that thread, if only things were quite as simple and straightforward as this black and white view of the world. I loathe the demonisation of groups of people or faiths by people who have nothing more than a political agenda to propagate. I have come to have a visceral loathing of such types, and also the metropolitan liberals running my country who allow such muck to carry on in the name of "diversity". In fact, such attitudes have led to a deeper intolerance around the world, and I despair at the world in which my son is growing in to.

Sigh..........rant over. It's been a long day!

Anyhow, the busy life did not stop me from recording what I have been listening to, so here goes.

Marillion. Gaza. See above.

Marillion. Sky Above The Rain. Achingly beautiful, and an extremely knowing expose of a couple struggling to recreate the spark that has been lost. My wife, who was in the same room as me, loved every single word and note. I am a lucky man.

H. You Dinosaur Thing. The first of two tracks from Hogarth's fantastic solo debut, Ice Cream Genius, a very good album which deserves a sight more attention than it has had. This is a commercial masterpiece, which should really, if there were any justice, have been a hit single.

H. Cage. A far more sober, and complex, piece from the same album.

Edison's Children. The Awakening. Genius, with all of Marillion contributing. 

Marillion. Brave. The title track, which leads to the tragic denouement of a life thrown away on the Severn Bridge in....The Great Escape, one of the finest pieces of music ever written and performed.

Steven Wilson. I decided to play The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) in its entirety. It was the first time the wife had heard it, and, at the end, she turned around from the computer desk, where she was working, and exclaimed...."that was good". My friends, those comments are a five star complement, end of. This album gets better with each listen, and is, in my opinion, the most important progressive rock album of the new millennium, thus far.

Radiohead. Exit Music for a Film. Because I felt like it. I know not why....

Peter Gabriel. Red Rain. This was the final track of Saturday night. I played it because it is, to me, symbolic of Gabriel's utter sincerity of his fight for justice in the world, and against cruel people who exploit others for their own nefarious purposes. Hamas, anyone? 

This morning was a train journey to Bristol and back for a team meeting. Unfortunately, there was only a tiny bit of music because I travelled back with colleagues who expected some conversation. Selfish so and so's...!?

So, I was restricted to a tiny bit of Planet Rock on the radio, which had:

AC/DC. Hells Bells. Best they ever recorded. Sheer and utter class.
Rush. Tom Sawyer. From their masterpiece album.
Thin Lizzy. Emerald. I hadn't heard it for years, so I really enjoyed this.

The above were part of the station's regular "connection" game. Unfortunately, the mobile broadband went off, and I missed the rest. If I am honest, I would not have got the connection from the first three anyway.

Again, thanks all for reading.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 17:06

This album gets better with each listen, and is, in my opinion, the most important progressive rock album of the new millennium, thus far.

My thoughts exactly, although many don't agree. I like it more than any PT album.

AC/DC. Hells Bells. Best they ever recorded. Sheer and utter class.

I think I'll listen to my CD copy. It's been too long Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 00:21
Nice to see you active once again, Steve. I am, however, quite sorry to hear about family members dealing with some ailments. I hope the Laz clan convalesce with quickness. ;)

Playlists are looking sharp as well.
Wanted to ask you what or how you feel about COMEDY OF ERRORS?
May I say that this isn't a band that rubs me the wrong way. I like their retro and modern fusing with I. The Neo Prog sound. Perhaps IN A LIFE TIME and FOOLS CIRCLE will grace your ears at some point.
Love to hear your thoughts.

Be well.

Edited by progbethyname - July 30 2014 at 00:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 00:23

Laz, I have a couple of recommendations for you.  Both are on the 10T Record label.  http://10trecords.com/The
new Iluvatar album "From The Silence".  I think that this one is a slam
dunk that you will love it.  Very much in the vein of IQ; at least that
is who came to mind on my first listen to this album.The second
one, which I am really enjoying, is Farpoint's "Paint The Dark".  Best
reference I can give you with them would be a Christian version of
Mostly Autumn.  Interactive male and female vocals, and listed here on
PA as Prog Folk, but very much in a similar Neo-Progressive/Crossover
Prog vein that Mostly Autumn reside in.  If Christian lyrics aren't a
turnoff for you, then I think that this is one that you will really
enjoy as well.  And to throw a bonus recommendation out there,
Little Atlas guitarist Roy Strattman has released his first solo album
on this label titled The Lie Of The Beholder.  I've only heard the free
download from here but it was quite good.  Nick D'Virgilio plays drums
on the album, if that has any influence.  The label website allows you to stream the albums if you would like to check them out.

I quite enjoy ILLUVATAR as well. CHILDREN was an incredible album.
:)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:00

Nice to see you active once again, Steve. I am, however, quite sorry to hear about family members dealing with some ailments. I hope the Laz clan convalesce with quickness. ;)

May I say that this isn't a band that rubs me the wrong way. I like their retro and modern fusing with I. The Neo Prog sound. Perhaps IN A LIFE TIME and FOOLS CIRCLE will grace your ears at some point.

Be well.

Cheers Nicholas

I did review Comedy of Errors last album, and was not, in truth, particularly impressed. It was perfectly competent, but of certainly didn't inspire me at all, I'm afraid.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:04

I should have reported earlier (I have a distinct lack of quality PA time at the momentOuch), but I cannot see that I can stream from the record label site. I am assuming this is something to do with the fact I do not live in the US.

Anyhow, given that Scott is always spot on with his recommendations, the above have been added to my 2014 wish list, so I will report back when I get them. This, though, is not likely to be for a couple of months, though, as we are going away on holiday in AugustBig smile

Btw no playlist as such today, but I have the exceptional Mostly Autumn's Dressed In Voices on on the train home from Swansea, where I have spent the day working.

See you all soon.

Edited by lazland - July 31 2014 at 10:05
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:09
Here is a link to the Iluvatar album.  http://10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/iluvatar/discography/  It looks as though you would have to play each song separately, but I believe that they are all full songs.  That being said, if it doesn't work than you are probably correct about it only being available in the US.  
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:38

Here is a link to the Iluvatar album.  http://10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/iluvatar/discography/  It looks as though you would have to play each song separately, but I believe that they are all full songs.  That being said, if it doesn't work than you are probably correct about it only being available in the US.  

Thanks Scott. I got to this before, and it does not work, just a track list shows without the means to stream.

As I said, they are on the to get list. Actually, when I finish work next Wednesday for a three week break from work, I will probably start subscribing to Spotify again, so hopefully I will be able to listen there.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:01

Thanks Scott. I got to this before, and it does not work, just a track list shows without the means to stream.

As I said, they are on the to get list. Actually, when I finish work next Wednesday for a three week break from work, I will probably start subscribing to Spotify again, so hopefully I will be able to listen there.
OK.  The original link that I had provided was just to the website, and I know that I had some difficulty finding the streaming section, so thought that I would provide a direct link in the event that you hadn't found it.  I always find it somewhat strange what items are and aren't available depending on your location in the world. Oh well.  I hope that you do get a chance to give them a listen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:36

Be well.

Cheers Nicholas
I did review Comedy of Errors last album, and was not, in truth, particularly impressed. It was perfectly competent, but of certainly didn't inspire me at all, I'm afraid.

I really respect your review. 'Prog by the numbers' with in Neo territory indeed, and I did find your Tresspass connections interesting. The song 'something she said' bursts so wildly with in the last 3 min of the 7:15min piece that did remind me of a certain 70's genesis flare. I also hear the Pendragon element. Holy Kowtow!
Their first album, however, is very Marillion laden. I hear fish era a ton there.

Meanwhile back to Arena. I gave 'The Visitor' another spin with my updated and new sound rig, and I think you are absolutely right about this album as a whole. I know I said I was very pro 'Pride' and 'Immortal' as being complete masterpieces and now I'm inclined to feel that 'The Visitor' is every bit as good as the other 2 albums mentioned....maybe even better.
Anyway. I will be spinning some Twelfth Night tonight. :)
The LIVE AND LET LIVE album has its clutches in me very deeply.
I think I've listened to 'Love Song' and 'Creepshow' about 30 times this week. Just amazing.

Have a great day. Also Scott's right. The Illuvatar album is wonderful, but not as good as Children for my tastes.

Be well.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:39
Scott's link: http://10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/iluvatar/discography/ works fine in the UK for me (well it does in the grimy old Black Country, at least!  LOL) It works even with the old IE9 browser (where the Spotify web player isn't supported anymore) - a blue arrow is shown on the left adjacent to each song on the 10trecords website, and yes, you do have to play each track separately - but they are all full streams of the whole songs - not short snippets.  Smile

The album is also on Spotify - but they spelled the band name wrong Ermm, so google searching for it may not be successful at present. You can play it on your web browser (not IE9 though!) via this link: https://play.spotify.com/album/6hz3Fmwels3K0Q9sctPqQE.  Enjoy!  Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 14:01
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Scott's link: http://10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/iluvatar/discography/ works fine in the UK for me (well it does in the grimy old Black Country, at least!  LOL) It works even with the old IE9 browser (where the Spotify web player isn't supported anymore) - a blue arrow is shown on the left adjacent to each song on the 10trecords website, and yes, you do have to play each track separately - but they are all full streams of the whole songs - not short snippets.  Smile

The album is also on Spotify - but they spelled the band name wrong Ermm, so google searching for it may not be successful at present. You can play it on your web browser (not IE9 though!) via this link: https://play.spotify.com/album/6hz3Fmwels3K0Q9sctPqQE.  Enjoy!  Big smile

Thanks David. I suspect it must be an Apple issue, then, because I cannot get a thing off of the website on the iPad, and my laptop is at the repair shop at the moment.

I will have a go with the Spotify link after, so, again, thanksSmile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

[QUOTE=lazland]
This album gets better with each listen, and is, in my opinion, the most important progressive rock album of the new millennium, thus far.

My thoughts exactly, although many don't agree. I like it more than any PT album.

Thanks Samuel. I agree with you very much. Raven....shows a maturity which I think shows a huge step forward from PT, and I enjoyed much of their output a great deal.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:32
Steve, not sure if you ever had a chance to check out that Farpoint album.  I am listening to it again this morning and just loving it.  Anyways, it looks like the whole album is out on youtube too in individual bites.  Here is a sample song for you to check out.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:29

Steve, not sure if you ever had a chance to check out that Farpoint album.  I am listening to it again this morning and just loving it.  Anyways, it looks like the whole album is out on youtube too in individual bites.  Here is a sample song for you to check out.

Thanks so much, Scott. No, I must confess that I have not had the chance to check this out yet.

However, once I get rid of Dad (who is visiting for the weekend), this will be the first thing to do next week. I will report back.

I liked doing this blog, but I really have not had a great deal of time to keep it updated. Perhaps I should make time.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 16:24
Hey LAZ!!E

Hope you are well, my friend. Haven't spoke to you in a little bit.
I of course, have still been progging fairly hard till my little heart explodes. I find 2014 to be quite another good year for our beloved Prog music. :)

A title that has jumped out at me that I feel would be a great one to share with you is, TIM BOWNESS's: ABANDONED DANCEHALL DREAMS. This is nothing short of a beautifully crafted, soft and very touching album. It is so full of feeling and sweet immersion. Not to forget to mention, Steven Wilson Mixes/produces the album while the great Andy Jackson has done the mastering. The A.D.D album is of very high quality in terms of recording itself and Lends itself to be an already classic in years to come. How Bowness decided to take a 10 year absence is beyond me because his latest album is, in my opinion, one of the very best releases for 2014.

Grab the 2cd version if you can. Very worth it. :)

Talk soon, Chap.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>