Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 13:10
Tuesday 16. Half day off work in the afternoon to look after father in law whilst wife and mother in law go off to a hospital appointment. I am really missing my son, who is not home until midnight tonight, having been on a four day school trip to Germany. So, when the wimmin got back, I decided it was time for an hour or so You Tube 'till dog walk time. I should do this more often, really, because this was a really pleasant time. I watch YT via a Chromecast thingy attached to the telly in the dining room.

Pendragon. If I Were The Wind live at Citadel, St Helens. It is never a bad thing to start off with a bit of Pendragon!

Pink Floyd. The Endless River, side one. This is essentially Shine On, and, whilst perfectly good, is not exactly making me want to rush out and buy it. I think there is some far better new music out there.......talking of which......

Colin Mold. Ancestral Song. Really nice Prog folk, with a Celtic tinge. I am very tempted to buy Mold's new album, based upon Thomas' review. We are normally as one on these matters! This, and the following track are from the last LP.

Cindy L Spear & Colin Mold. Will We Ever Return. Really quite a lovely song, full of melancholic yearning for a better, more innocent, time, with more than a touch of religiosity to it.

Anton Roolaart. Gravity. On my "to buy" list for quite a while this year, I have never really gotten around to it.

Anton Roolaart. Stars Fall Down. This chap deserves to be taken seriously when Richardh and Ivan rate him so highly, especially the latter, whose review of the new album was positively gushing. I really like this track. I think I am convinced.....

Having said that, a recommendation a while back from Scott (Rushfan4) was Iluvatar's new album, From The Silence. So, next I popped on The Silence. Basically, a recommendation from Scott is a shoo in for me, and this track is deeply impressive. The next one, Open The Door was fairly traditional neo-Prog.

Followed by Lee Abraham. The Corridors of Power, from Distant Days, another on my "to buy" list for much of 2014. Another deeply impressive track.

One of the reasons I am doing this is that Ioan always buys his Dad a cd for birthday, which is coming up shortly, and it is the big 50. I was originally going to get the Floyd album, but, to be honest, I am still not that bothered by it. Decisions, decisions......

I followed this with Tomorrow Will Be Yesterday, again from Abraham's new album. I absolutely adore this song.

Of course, a huge advantage of the digital era is the fact that we can listen before we buy. I have quite a decision to make, albeit a nice one. Ioan is always really lovely when he presents me with my present on birthday morning.

Okay, it is now approaching 5.30 in the evening, so dog walk, which, of course, involves a nice quiet pint half way through, and an evening of reflection before I make my final decision.

So....7.00. The decision has been made, this following two pints of Swn Y Dail, a gorgeous pale ale brewed in Llanddarog. And the winners are..........Mold & Abraham, and just ordered from Will at Caerllysi Music.

As for the runners up......well, they can be purchased in January

Nos da all.....
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 22:15
^ hey Steve,

Merry Christmas buddy.

Oh and it's NEVER a bad thing to start off a lovely listening session with a Pendragon album.

Was a huge fan of their latest live album release "The Man who climbed mountains."
If you loved "out of order comes chaos" you will adore this explosive live set. :)

A big handshake to you sir. Be well.
Rest up for 2015!! Lots of ground to cover. For starters Iron Maiden and our mutual pals, Arena will be releasing new albums. Exciting indeed. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 15:39
Our esteemed admin, Andy Webb, runs an annual best albums of the year list for collaborators on the site. He the. Collates the results, and publishes them on the wider forum. I posted my top ten tonight in the Collaborator's Zone which is unseen by the wider membership and guests. So, I reproduce it here for interest and debate. Of course, people who know me well will expect no kind of Rio/Avant, Fusion, Experimental awful loud noises (aka metal) & etc., and I appreciate that the type of melodic Prog that I love is not particularly "trendy" these days.

Of course, I care not. I love it!

1. Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices
2. IQ - The Road of Bones
3. Introitus - Anima
4. Pendragon - Men Who Climb Mountains
5. Steve Rothery - The Ghosts of Pripyat
6. Nick Magnus - N'Monix
7. Panic Room - Incarnate
8. Corvus Stone - Corvus Stone II
9. Mike Oldfield - Man on the Rocks
10. Frequency Drift - Over (the follow up Summer is on my "to buy" list)

For completeness, here are the albums "bubbling under" the top ten. I should also point out that I have at least a couple more albums from 2014 not yet listened to, so the lists are subject to some change.

11. Gazpacho - Demon
12. Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
13. Supernal Endgame - Touch The Sky Volume II
14. Monarch Trail - Skye
15. Ian Anderson - Homo Erraticus
16. Lee Abraham - Distant Days
17. Elephants of Scotland - Execute and Breathe
18. Yes - Heaven & Earth
19. RPWL - Wanted
20. Perfect Beings - Perfect Beings (no, I did not rate it as highly as many others on the site....)
21. Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Alie Natura
22. Rick Miller - Heart of Darkness
23. Eden Shadow - Phases
24. The Watch - Tracks from the Alps
25. Cirrus Bay - The Search For Joy

The only two of the above list that rate with me as two on the PA site, i.e. poor and for completists only, are the final two. I really loathe The Watch, sorry. This album was such a poor and unoriginal copy of a great and original band that I wanted to throw something at them, and Cirrus Bay was the subject of a fan bombardment on the site, and was nowhere near as good as the said fans would have had us believe.

Of which, the greatest pleasant surprise of the year was absolutely Corvus Stone II. This, again, was not the masterpiece some would have us believe, but was, in contrast to The Search For Joy, an absolute joy to listen to.

When I get time, I will get around to reviewing all of the 2014 albums. I think I have reviewed 11 so far. My New Year Resolution is to create more time for reviewing, which is my favourite activity on the site, aside from this blog, of course!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 15:47
Great albums indeed, the ones I listened to, although AlieNatura was released last year Ermm
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 16:00
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Great albums indeed, the ones I listened to, although AlieNatura was released last year Ermm

Cheers!

Apologies re Alie Natura. I will amend the Progfreak entry, but will leave it on my list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 16:22
^^ hey Steve. Looks like a great, air tight list. Thank you for sharing it because I do respect your taste in music and opinions.

Quick question though. How many out of that solid 10 top ten you have would you say is masterpiece worthy either according to your personal feelings/tastes or to PA's rating system basis?
Love to know. Oh and I'm a bit surprised that IQ didn't get the #1 spot for you, but that mostly autumn album is amazing. Love the track 'Home.' :)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 17:03
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^^ hey Steve. Looks like a great, air tight list. Thank you for sharing it because I do respect your taste in music and opinions.

Quick question though. How many out of that solid 10 top ten you have would you say is masterpiece worthy either according to your personal feelings/tastes or to PA's rating system basis?
Love to know. Oh and I'm a bit surprised that IQ didn't get the #1 spot for you, but that mostly autumn album is amazing. Love the track 'Home.' :)

Hi Nicholas.

The top two, IMO, are five star albums. The rest of the top ten list are, in PA parlance, excellent, or four star.

This is in keeping with my opinion, much stated here, that a masterpiece, five star rating, is the exception, rather than the rule. It should be a rarity, and I think that 20% of the top ten, or less than 10% of the albums purchased or listened to is absolutely right.

As for number one, it was such a close run race. Mostly Autumn pipped it, and that was, I think, simply because of the sheer love and blinding emotion that Josh and Mrs Josh put into this work. It is an album I will still be listening to in 20 years time, but I will not listen to frequently as others, simply because it is so emotionally demanding.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 21:01
Alright. Interesting my friend. I wanted to ask you because I've been having a casual discussion with our mutual site admin/friend Dave (Guldbamsen) about the 5-star rating being handed out too casually by some here on PA. I feel he may be right, but I knew you wouldn't be guilty of this which is why I trust your reviews more often than not.

Personally I had 6 albums that I felt were worthy of that 5-star banner.
However, I am not a reviewer but one who rates albums for a personal database only.
Anyhow, thank you for your honesty and I hope possibly that TIM BOWNESS album may crack your list. The ABANDONED DANCEHALL DREAMS is something I am almost positive you will enjoy thoroughly.
Give it a go, my friendly chap.

Look forward to the next playlist. And like you, I've been getting a lot out of the latest live pendragon album. :)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 16:48
Oh well, for my first blog of the New Year (and a jolly happy, prosperous, and healthy one to all of you kind enough to read my meanderings), I thought I would set to the electronic equivalent of paper a thought I just had in the shower. Be patient, friends. I have lots of good thoughts in the shower, some of my finest ones, indeed

The thought was prompted by an amusing exchange on the "Does Miles Davis Belong on PA" thread. My thoughts have nothing to do with that, per se, but got me thinking about different eras of popular music, and, in particular, about the present and the 1970's, which were, most here would state, the classic Prog rock era.

You see, I think there is a very distinct commonality between those halcyon days of some forty years ago, and the period we are living in now, as exemplified by pop music and Prog. Then, as now, the majority of chart hits were led by seriously manufactured acts, or variations on a particular type of "yoof" movement. The optimism of the free thinking 1960's, when most kids seriously believed that they could, and would, change the world had given way to an extremely depressing decade for my country. Then, as now, a set of incredibly poor politicians, with little or no scruples and true principles, were at the mercy of market forces well beyond their control. Then, it was the oil crisis, now it seems to be a crisis of capitalism itself.

Popular music, in the early part of the decade, was exemplified by glam rock. The charts were full of it, with even a bunch of old skinheads like Slade joining in the fun. Top of the Pops (the music show of choice for all right minded kids) was full of such cerebral gems such as Mud, Bolan, and The Sweet (who my wife still loves). In contrast, the cool and clever kids listened to Prog and art rock, watching the icon of geek, Whispering Bob, on Old Grey Whistle Test. It really was a heady time to be into music that all the girls loathed and thought was, well, simply bloody awful!

Glam gave way to the ridiculous punk and "new wave" movement, just as the seventies were reaching their depressing peak. Punk started off genuinely enough as an underground movement, but anyone old enough to remember those days will, I think, accept that the majority of it was simply created in order to satisfy the manufactured rebellious spirit of the times, this certainly being the case by 1977. The Pistols? Bunch of t**sers, basically. Rotten ended up advertising made up butter and appearing on a bloody awful celebrity jungle challenge show. Pah!

In the present decade, we have the even more manufactured, and God-awful, stuff pedalled by the likes of Simon Cowell on his TV programmes, and the giant record corporations, who seem to have given up all pretence of nurturing genuine new talent. Witness also the daft and depressing fact that all now seem to ape the urban black culture which, again, started off as a genuine street movement before being hijacked by Music Corp Inc.

For serious culture and music fans, of all ages, where is there to turn to? Of course,there is still classical music, timeless in its beauty and inspiration. But for the rock fan? Well, Prog. Prog is making a huge comeback in terms of cultural impact on those who take the time to consider such matters. No, Prog will never, ever, be the monster record selling behemoth it was in days of yore, but, as those who follow this great site will know, in terms of new music and creativity, this genre is going through a massive purple patch, and, in fact, I, for one, am more excited about the state and future of the genre than I have ever been.

I think the similarities between the two decades are too apparent to be a coincidence. What do you think?

So, it is nice to start 2015 off on a positive note, certainly as far as the prospects for progressive rock are concerned. There are many out there who continue to innovate, and push the boundaries. Long may they continue.

I think we could do without the economic and political similarities, though!

Edited by lazland - January 05 2015 at 16:49
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:18
^Spot on comments on the current music scene, Steve. I don't believe we will ever have popular music for a majority of the young folks that is not corrupted and watered down in some way by Big Business. It's just the trend of the times we live in.
Happy New Year to you and yours and all the best to you in 2015. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:40
Well my good friend, I find your thoughts hit me like a nuclear weapon. Full of impact and quite explosive. You certainly leave quite a good impression on me because I really understand where you are coming from and how you tie generational similarities together to describe our current music state and growth with just a hint of political and social economical thought topics. :)
Thank you for sharing this because I do identify strongly with one part of your New Years posting, and that is the present state of progressive rock. I believe as well, that it is in terrific shape and that the music of today in the prog world has my enthusiasm, loyalty and support. Most of all, I do get what you are driving at and I don't what to get too wordy and bore ya with simple reiterations of your own thoughts, but again I do appreciate your analysis from a generational standpoint, especially your critique on and about, the 'New Wave.' Yikes!!
I don't think my ears can take any glam rock/metal seriously enough to have a lasting impression on me. However, I do like the Ramones but I don't find myself running to put on one of their albums and keep revisiting their sound. Same with Alice Copper. I respect the art form but the music doesn't stay with me. However, progressive rock either old or new stays with me. I can honestly say with open arms that a lot of new Prog that I have discovered I will be listening to for many many more years to come. Prog is timeless. Other than classical music it is the most poignant and artful expression music has to offer. :)

Happy new year to you. Now. Lets get ready for 2015.
Arena and Iron Maiden should kick things off nicely.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:46
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well my good friend, I find your thoughts hit me like a nuclear weapon. Full of impact and quite explosive. You certainly leave quite a good impression on me because I really understand where you are coming from and how you tie generational similarities together to describe our current music state and growth with just a hint of political and social economical thought topics. :)
Thank you for sharing this because I do identify strongly with one part of your New Years posting, and that is the present state of progressive rock. I believe as well, that it is in terrific shape and that the music of today in the prog world has my enthusiasm, loyalty and support. Most of all, I do get what you are driving at and I don't what to get too wordy and bore ya with simple reiterations of your own thoughts, but again I do appreciate your analysis from a generational standpoint, especially your critique on and about, the 'New Wave.' Yikes!!
I don't think my ears can take any glam rock/metal seriously enough to have a lasting impression on me. However, I do like the Ramones but I don't find myself running to put on one of their albums and keep revisiting their sound. Same with Alice Copper. I respect the art form but the music doesn't stay with me. However, progressive rock either old or new stays with me. I can honestly say with open arms that a lot of new Prog that I have discovered I will be listening to for many many more years to come. Prog is timeless. Other than classical music it is the most poignant and artful expression music has to offer. :)

Happy new year to you. Now. Lets get ready for 2015.
Arena and Iron Maiden should kick things off nicely.

Progbethyname, what I loved about Alice Cooper is also that he always had two lead guitarists Big smile I dedicate this song to you Hugbig hugs ALICE COOPER - School's Out (1972 UK TV Top Of The Pops Performance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEcLxnXVAc xxxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:50
This is an outstanding track by Alice Cooper really, have a listen Hearthugs HugAlice Cooper - I'm Eighteen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXZcJojTucg
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 23:39
School's Out, 18.......whew flashback early 70's right there
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 23:43
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

School's Out, 18.......whew flashback early 70's right there
hihihi yay Chris Hug double yay! Big smile xxx
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:19
Okay then. An Alice Cooper weekend it is, then
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 01:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Oh well, for my first blog of the New Year (and a jolly happy, prosperous, and healthy one to all of you kind enough to read my meanderings), I thought I would set to the electronic equivalent of paper a thought I just had in the shower. Be patient, friends. I have lots of good thoughts in the shower, some of my finest ones, indeed

The thought was prompted by an amusing exchange on the "Does Miles Davis Belong on PA" thread. My thoughts have nothing to do with that, per se, but got me thinking about different eras of popular music, and, in particular, about the present and the 1970's, which were, most here would state, the classic Prog rock era.

You see, I think there is a very distinct commonality between those halcyon days of some forty years ago, and the period we are living in now, as exemplified by pop music and Prog. Then, as now, the majority of chart hits were led by seriously manufactured acts, or variations on a particular type of "yoof" movement. The optimism of the free thinking 1960's, when most kids seriously believed that they could, and would, change the world had given way to an extremely depressing decade for my country. Then, as now, a set of incredibly poor politicians, with little or no scruples and true principles, were at the mercy of market forces well beyond their control. Then, it was the oil crisis, now it seems to be a crisis of capitalism itself.

Popular music, in the early part of the decade, was exemplified by glam rock. The charts were full of it, with even a bunch of old skinheads like Slade joining in the fun. Top of the Pops (the music show of choice for all right minded kids) was full of such cerebral gems such as Mud, Bolan, and The Sweet (who my wife still loves). In contrast, the cool and clever kids listened to Prog and art rock, watching the icon of geek, Whispering Bob, on Old Grey Whistle Test. It really was a heady time to be into music that all the girls loathed and thought was, well, simply bloody awful!

Glam gave way to the ridiculous punk and "new wave" movement, just as the seventies were reaching their depressing peak. Punk started off genuinely enough as an underground movement, but anyone old enough to remember those days will, I think, accept that the majority of it was simply created in order to satisfy the manufactured rebellious spirit of the times, this certainly being the case by 1977. The Pistols? Bunch of t**sers, basically. Rotten ended up advertising made up butter and appearing on a bloody awful celebrity jungle challenge show. Pah!

In the present decade, we have the even more manufactured, and God-awful, stuff pedalled by the likes of Simon Cowell on his TV programmes, and the giant record corporations, who seem to have given up all pretence of nurturing genuine new talent. Witness also the daft and depressing fact that all now seem to ape the urban black culture which, again, started off as a genuine street movement before being hijacked by Music Corp Inc.

For serious culture and music fans, of all ages, where is there to turn to? Of course,there is still classical music, timeless in its beauty and inspiration. But for the rock fan? Well, Prog. Prog is making a huge comeback in terms of cultural impact on those who take the time to consider such matters. No, Prog will never, ever, be the monster record selling behemoth it was in days of yore, but, as those who follow this great site will know, in terms of new music and creativity, this genre is going through a massive purple patch, and, in fact, I, for one, am more excited about the state and future of the genre than I have ever been.

I think the similarities between the two decades are too apparent to be a coincidence. What do you think?

So, it is nice to start 2015 off on a positive note, certainly as far as the prospects for progressive rock are concerned. There are many out there who continue to innovate, and push the boundaries. Long may they continue.

I think we could do without the economic and political similarities, though!
Thumbs UpHug
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:06
Nice to read your reflections Steve, but I wish I could agree in comparing the 1970's music business situation with the current one. You are being quite harsh on the 1970's there, and while surely there were also manufactured stars (a few of them indeed in the Glam scene or in the Pop-Disco scene such as Village People or Leif Garrett), there were also many who were genuine rockers, rebels, artists who wanted to make their musical statement. Of course the music industry quickly capitalized on those who they felt were good showmen and pampered them and raised them into stardom through marketing and promoting their massive live tours, but the musicians themselves were quite authentic: The Who, Purple, Zep, Sabbath, Bowie, Queen, Stevie Wonder, Supertramp, UFO, Santana, ELO...

I wish the current commercial scene included bands like those!!!

For the rest, agree that Prog is still a refuge for those seeking more "intelligent" music, and thanks to today's connectivity Prog is alive and well and very prolific!  

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:16
and New Wave, although quickly became for a big part dreadful synth pop, originated as an underground experimental movement which wanted to follow the steps of Kraftwerk. The pity is, their experimental side involved only the sonic aspect (and the visuals), but compositionally they chose for simplicity (because I'm afraid few if any of them were actually good musicians who could play a traditional instrument). It was the return to simplicity also shown by Punk but instead of with the old-school electric guitars and basses and drums, throwing those away and replacing them by synths which at the time was a quite experimental thing to do (no fan of New Wave at all, mind you).
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 15:29
Gerard, these are precisely the kind of intelligent debating points which make me love it when you contribute to threads on this forum.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the birth, and raison d'être, of New Wave. As per usual, I do not think that I elucidated my thoughts particularly well on my original post. The whole movement was born from a wish to take music to a basic, simple, street movement, which, of course, is no bad thing at all. And, of course, the industry then made it into a "yoof" movement, producing and promoting any old crap. Of course, the whole thing then literally disappeared up its own backside.

And I Absolutely agree with you about the classic rock scene in the 1970's. The memories I have of such Titans as you mention are still extremely dear to me, and many others on this site

Edited by lazland - January 10 2015 at 15:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>