Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 00:07
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 02:59
Oh God Steve, that's terrible news.  I'm really sorry, my thoughts are with you and the family. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 05:02
Please accept my condolences.  May your mom rest in peace.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 10:28
My condolences Steve. I know your mother was blessed with a loving and supporting family, the best thing that any of us can possibly offer to a loved one. My prayers are with you and your family at this tough time.

Edited by SteveG - August 04 2015 at 10:37
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 14:16
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Frank, thank you so much for sharing this with me. Quite beautiful and touching.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 14:18
Thank you all for your kind words, which really mean so much.

Life goes on, and so will the Lazland blog, hopefully with some rather more cheerier posts in the months to come.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 14:08
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Thank you all for your kind words, which really mean so much.

Life goes on, and so will the Lazland blog, hopefully with some rather more cheerier posts in the months to come.

Steve! I just caught wind of this. I do express my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

...she is so near, yet so far...

https://youtu.be/H8Dyi318TSM

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 15:08
Steve, sorry I didn't catch this earlier.  My condolences to you and your family.  You've really been there for the elders in your family and that is very cool.  Sorry for your loss and may her memory be with you always.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 19:48
Aw Steve,
I am sorry about your loss and felt really so sad after reading your post.

You are such a nice person and I am glad, considering everything, you and your lovely family, during this difficult time have each other’s strong love and support.

I wish I could express myself better with words, instead I looked at your profile and saw you like Marillion very much, so hoping to bring a little smile on your face, I made this fan art drawing especially for you.

A massive big hug to you, your beautiful wife and your son.Hug

Edited by Kati - August 16 2015 at 03:15
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 15:57
Thanks Nicholas and Jim. I really appreciate the sentiments.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

<span lang="EN" style='color: black; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 8pt; mso-ansi-: EN;'><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aw Steve,
I
am sorry about your loss and felt really so sad after reading your post.
<p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">You
are such a nice person and I am glad, considering everything, you and your lovely
family, during this difficult time have each other’s strong love and support. <o:p></o:p>

</span><span lang="EN" style='color: black; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 8pt; mso-ansi-: EN;'><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wish I
could express myself better with words, instead I looked at your profile and
saw you like Marillion very much, so hoping to bring a little smile on your
face, I made this fan art drawing especially for you.
</span><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">

<span lang="EN" style='color: black; line-height: 115%; font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 8pt; mso-ansi-: EN;'><font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"> 

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">A massive
big hug to you, your beautiful wife and your son.Hug

</span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

Sonia, you are an angel. When I saw this, a beautific smile washed over me, and I genuinely love the sentiment. The drawing has been printed off, and will be framed and hung in my bedroom.

Thank you. You are a very special person, and a very dear friend.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 20:38
Wow Steve......I am so sorry to hear all this terrible news in your family. Mighty fine of you and your wife and son to handle the family as you have! Whether this means anything or not to you and your family, you all have a special place reserved in heaven for your good family deeds.

Take comfort in knowing they both are no longer in any pain.

Cheers my friend!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 00:49
Just saw this and I really feel for you , my good man. I can only say that eternity lives on in one's memory and if you wish to understand the unknown , just stay true to your character, your values and your beliefs. Stay strong ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 16:19
Steve, I don't post here often, but I do read your writings when I can. Thoughts are with you, keep your head up!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 16:52
Thank you, my friends. As ever, the comradeship shown here is a huge comfort.

We lay Mum to rest on Monday. Mum was an atheist, and, as such, it will be a non-religious service conducted by me, in accordance with her wishes. The support shown is, thus, a source of great strength, and we will celebrate her life. I did, in my previous trade union activist work, make many speeches, usually without notes, and in front of many people in large halls. I rather suspect, no know, that Monday will be the most challenging time spent behind a lectern in my life, but I am determined to make her proud.

The blog will continue, and, I have to say, that I am looking forward to writing about matters progressive exclusively in the coming times.

My next blog will probably discuss the new Edison's Children album, which I preordered, and arrived this week. For rather obvious reasons, it has not been listened to yet, but it will be spun a few times next week. I have also informed my lovely wife that I have not purchased a new album for quite a few months now, probably since getting the new Hackett album. There is a backlog building, and a Lazland splurge on new music is now authorised by the boss, bless her.

To close, I genuinely thank everybody here for being so kind. It means a great deal to me, and my family. Glynis remarked last night, when I shared the comments with her, just how lovely the comments have been.

Diolch yn fawr.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 15:53
As promised, or threatened (delete according to taste and constitution), my little blog returns, and life is returning to some sort of normality in the Lazland household, or as near to normality as it is possible to get, I suppose.

For somewhat obvious reasons, I have not contributed to the site a great deal in recent times. In addition, I have not been active at all in getting new music. I just haven't felt like it, or had the time, really.

The last time this happened was when we had that almighty row on the site about sub-genres, which I was responsible for initiating. As a result, I resigned as a collab on the Neo team, and rather fell out of love with music altogether. Thankfully, this did not last a long time, and thus it is now. Life goes on, and my signature says it all, really.

So, this last week has seen, for me, a positive orgy of music buying.

I received the new Edison's Children cd last week, and have given it a couple of spins. This has been the subject of what was, to me, a rather ridiculously pedantic argument on the forum as to whether it should be classified on the site as a studio album, or as a compilation album. Personally, I do not really care a great deal as to what the classification is. I was responsible for Pete and Eric's collaboration being added to the site, and, at the end of the day, as long as they are here, nothing else really matters.

It is described as a "bridging album", something to keep fans (this is a large number in the context of our genre. This has been a very successful project, even hitting the American charts) going until the next promised epic, which will be recorded after the next Marillion project. Understandably, this takes precedent in Pete's world.

It is extremely good, and I particularly like the alternative mixes of tracks we have had before, and mention should go to Jakko Jakszyk, of Crims fame, and John Mitchell. I will save the detailed comments for my review, but, suffice to say, both bring unique and new touches to the works. Further, I have found it very interesting to listen to the pieces outside of their usual context as part of sprawling narratives and concept. There is also a marvellous live rendition of A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) from a Wolverhampton Marillion Weekend. In addition, there are some new tracks as well, which make me really look forward to the next wholly new album from two extremely interesting and talented individuals whose music I find fascinating and wholly original.

I rated the first two as masterpieces, and still hold by those opinions. They are both also still rated overall above four on the site, a testament, I feel, to their quality and appeal. This one, I feel, is probably a four, i.e. excellent, although it will have a few more listens prior to my reviewing. I also get a name mention on the cd as one of those who pre-ordered a fair while ago.

To those who read either my (lately, infrequent) reviews, or this blog, and share my tastes, but have not yet ventured into the dark and gothic world of Edison's Children, you really should. They are well worth it.

I also purchased, at Derricks Music, a very good independent store in Swansea, Richard Thompson's new, electric, album, Still. Not prog, but one of the towering figures in folk rock, Thompson has been recording for not far short of fifty years, now, and the new album is quite superb, and will, I feel, be a firm favourite of mine in 2015.

In addition, I picked up a copy of the Marillion live Holland Weekend gig in 2013 Sunday Night Above The Rain. This is a double album, and quite superb, essential, in my opinion, as a record of just where the great band are live now. The track from which the title takes its inspiration, The Sky Above The Rain, is even more achingly beautiful and effective than the studio version. It drips with emotion and truth, and is worth the admission price alone. For aficionados of the Fish era, there is also a fun, rollicking, version of Garden Party. I added the album to the archives on Friday, so you can see the full track listing there.

I also ordered, but have not yet received, from Will at Caerllysi Music, the new Arena album, The Unquiet Sky (told you I would get it eventually, Nicholas!), the new IO Earth double opus, New World, and, based upon Thomas' (Tszirmay) review, Dave Kerzner's album, A New World. I have very high hopes for this, and cannot wait for it to arrive.

I have also splashed out on the new Corvus Stone album, which has also been the subject of controversy re classification, but have not gotten around to listening to it yet.

So, music is back with a bang in my life, and I am very much the richer for it. I face a week of commuting this forthcoming week, as my usual lift is on holiday. I will, therefore, get around to penning a few words on reviews, as the backlog of stuff I want to review has gotten ever longer.

As ever, thank you to all who respond here for your thoughts, and, especially, your continued kindness.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 19:36

In addition, I picked up a copy of the Marillion live Holland Weekend gig in 2013 Sunday Night Above The Rain. This is a double album, and quite superb, essential, in my opinion, as a record of just where the great band are live now. The track from which the title takes its inspiration, The Sky Above The Rain, is even more achingly beautiful and effective than the studio version. It drips with emotion and truth, and is worth the admission price alone. For aficionados of the Fish era, there is also a fun, rollicking, version of Garden Party. I added the album to the archives on Friday, so you can see the full track listing there.

Sunday Night Above the Rain Excellent, excellent!! I recently bought High Voltage 2010 and this one blew me away, big time. If you haven't heard it yet do not hesitate if you see it, a top 3 Marillion live favorite for me.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:04
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Sunday Night Above the Rain Excellent, excellent!! I recently bought High Voltage 2010 and this one blew me away, big time. If you haven't heard it yet do not hesitate if you see it, a top 3 Marillion live favorite for me.

That High Voltage appearance won them a great number of both new and returning fans, that is for sure. Marillion are, to me, the greatest live band I have ever seen.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 18:34
^Glad to see you back Steve! I just ordered the new live one from Mostly Autumn in your honor.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 20:45
Steve. You sound great...very healthy I mean.
I am so glad you are rekindling the fire of music that burns with in you.
I never knew it could actually leave someone like you, but as you are of course experiencing as of late, life can be a complicated mess at times. Anyhow, we have a sonic backbone that can help us through all our troubles. I know I'd be a very lost individual without music.
So Edison's children. I have their first album and I really quite like it. I can listen to Pete trewas play bass all day. He really is one of the best. I'd put him up there with Geddy lee of Rush and Chris squire of Yes. Yes, I do feel he is that good.

And you got the Unquiet Sky!!! Oh and I cannot wait to read your review. I actually got so inspired by Arena's latest, that I even wrote a review of the album. It's all praise really. I couldn't find a way to constructively criticize it, so it's not really a balanced review. It actually sounds more braised than anything else, but as you know I am seriously riding that Arena train pretty fast these days. I just love them. :)

Above all else though. I am glad you are back and I am very sure you are gonna find some new sonic treats very soon. If anyone out there knows how to dig for sonic gold....it's you!

Cheers. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>