Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 16:02
It has been a busy weekend in Lazland, with lots of decorating, and the need, following this, for sufficient quantities of booze and music to unwind. This weekend has featured the reason why this little blog was started in the first place, to write about the tracks played, to share. I do not post here that much these days, but I thought it would be nice to post some personal music instead of the politics, religion, and general doom that seems to have dominated the forum recently.

It's the music.....man.........

So, to the weekend's joys. Saturday was just favourites all night. Sunday was more interesting in terms of how the music was chosen, and what came out of the mix.

On Saturday night, I decided to have a You Tube evening, and chose:

Marillion to start with, a pile of live Tubes:

Seasons End
Beautiful
Easter
Sugar Mice
This Strange Engine

All of these were from the incredible Weekend videos, which are highly recommended.

Then, a return to the pounding tracks of my youth, namely;

Rainbow, Stargazer and Catch The Rainbow, both live with Dio gyrating, although not as wildly as on Sabbath's Heaven & Hell live. This was followed by Ace of Spades, one of the multitude of live versions of this available on You Tube, and played with the untimely, alcohol ridden, death of "Philthy Phil" Taylor in mind. These were very much the tracks, and music, of my youth back in the 70's. A real nostalgia fest.

After this, back to reality, and more contemporary tastes, with some incredible Pendragon live, namely;

Beautiful Soul & Faces of Light, both from the marvellous new album
If I Were The Wind
Masters of Illusion, basically one of the finest denouements to any album, or live show, ever performed. What a band.

Then some Karnataka, with my favourite track from my favourite new album of 2015, Feels Like Home from Secrets of Angels. A wonderful track with some incredible vocal arrangements.

To close Saturday night before the football highlights, some Mostly Autumn live, namely The Spirit of Autumn Past and Dressed In Voices, the wonderful title track from the masterpiece album.

So, to Sunday, and a much needed couple of pints of beer after a hard day's work, so the jukebox at the pub went on to accompany this. The track selection was:

Rolling Stones. Paint It Black. Chosen by my son, bless
BJH. Mockingbird
Deep Purple. My Women From Tokyo
Jethro Tull. Life is a Love Song
Peter Gabriel. Here Comes The Flood

Given that the locals think that Dolly Parton is about as cutting edge as it comes, you can only really imagine just how this all went down! "Are you going yet, Steve?". Imagine if I had put on something really wild. 21st Century Schizoid Man, anyone?

Then, whilst the wife, after our supper, put on a pile of rubbish on the tv, bless her, a random shuffle on the iPad. Here is what came up:

BJH. You Need Love, from Face to Face
Flower Kings. What If God Is Alone, quite gorgeous from Instant Delivery
Tangerine Dream. Thru Metamorphic Rocks, from the sublime Force Majeure
Squackett. Can't Stop The Rain. What a shame this wonderful partnership did not have time to develop
Discipline. When She Dreams, She Dreams in Colour, from To Shatter All Accord. Very Van Der Graaf-esque, and very damned good
The Who. Pick Up The Peace, from Endless Wire, a very good album to end a superlative studio career
Mostly Autumn. Broken, a work of genius from Dressed In Voices
Black Sabbath. Hand of Doom, from Paranoid. I haven't listened to this for years. Thanks, random shuffle!
Levellers. Bozo. Great stuff
King Crimson. Lark's Tongues' in Aspic, part one
Dream Theater. Overture 1928
Sylvan. Isle in Me, from Force of Gravity
Genesis. There Must Be Some Other Way. A very good track from a very decent album. I would have liked to have seen another one with Wilson at the vocal helm
BJH. Child of the Universe. I simply adore this track
Sabbath. War Pigs.

Oh well, time for bed, said Zebedee. A busy weekend, but tempered by a great playlist.

Nos da to all.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 23:31
Ah mr. Laz is active once again! I know, sounds like a paradox but it's great to hear ya back in action once again
I really like how you are revisiting a lot of your staples with in your music world.
Kicking things off with Marillion? Not a bad start or choice at all!
Also happy to hear you gave dream Theater a brief visit. 1928 is an incredible opener to one of the very best concept albums I've ever heard. ;)

Well, If you by chance feel like a classy instrumental album with some incredible thick bass lines, give Goblin's Four of A kind album a spin. 43mins of bliss. ;)

Enjoy the day and the rest of your week, my friend.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 16:45
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Ah mr. Laz is active once again! I know, sounds like a paradox but it's great to hear ya back in action once again
I really like how you are revisiting a lot of your staples with in your music world.
Kicking things off with Marillion? Not a bad start or choice at all!
Also happy to hear you gave dream Theater a brief visit. 1928 is an incredible opener to one of the very best concept albums I've ever heard. ;)

Well, If you by chance feel like a classy instrumental album with some incredible thick bass lines, give Goblin's Four of A kind album a spin. 43mins of bliss. ;)

Enjoy the day and the rest of your week, my friend.

As ever, thanks for responding, Nicholas.

Dram Theater are, interestingly, the favourite band of my 14 year old son at the moment, so they are playing in his room quite a lot. He likes some of my prog, and it is nice to hear his musical tastes developing and maturing. That's my boy

Goblin. It is about time that I started to listen to more RPI. It has been way too long, and that is a shame, because I generally like what I hear. Something for my train journey to North England next week, methinks!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 16:59
I am going through one of my playlist, not entire album, phases, and the sharing of this is why the blog was started. As I have sworn to stay away from the general discussion threads which are really beginning to turn me off this site, I will turn inwards, somewhat, and concentrate on what brought me here in the first place, the music, talking about it, sharing it, and reviewing it.

So, to Saturday night. My father and his wife are visiting Chez Lazland, and it is lovely to see them. Having said that, Mr Laz junior has very little interest in Dancing or Talent shows on tv, so on went the headphones for music and copious amounts of beer time.

The initial phase went something like this:

Karnataka. Feels Like Home. This is on every single day. Just love it.

Goblin. Goblin, from Wampyr, this played after the suggestion from Nicholas. This is the first time I have listened to this band, and this is good stuff.

Rainbow. Weiss Heim. Simply delicious from the Man in Black.

ELO. Telephone Line. From one of the first albums I purchased, I simply love this fragile piece of beauty.

Dire Straits. Private Investigations, Live. Probably the proggiest effort from this great band, I love the suspense. Knopfler's guitar work is awesome.

Moody Blues. Question. This is the version with the Philharmonic Orchestra, and mighty fine it is, too.

Marillion. The Sky Above The Rain, live. As achingly beautiful as the very first time I heard it, I simply adore this track, a song rooted in the pain, angst, and, above all, love and hope of real life.

From this, the good old random shuffle was put on. I rather like the surprises you can get from randomly playing tracks from the hundreds of albums I have placed onto my Mac, and, by extension, the iPad. Here are the tracks it threw up:

IQ. Dans Le Parc Du Chateau Noir, a bonus track from the remastered The Wake. One of the finest bands to play this earth, from a vintage album.

The Flower Kings. Cinema Show, from one of the Fanclub CDs. Ah, some great bands don't half wear their influences on their hearts!

Anthony Phillips. Last Goodbyes. Quite utterly gorgeous music. Ant does piano as well as guitar.

Blackmore's Night. Hanging Tree.

Enya. A Day Without Rain. Appropriate enough, given the fuss with the new album, which I have not heard yet, aside from the single, which does not sound as if it is breaking any new ground. I do rather like these songs, though, ethereal and clever.

Jon & Vangelis. Thunder.

Radiohead. Go To Sleep. Hail to the Thief is a very good album, and one I should play more, really.

The Who. Imagine a Man. Quite easily the finest track from By Numbers, a classic, and Townsend writing at his best, and Daltrey singing likewise.

Pictorial Wand. Circle's End. The final track from Face of our Fathers, an album I gave a rather indifferent review to five years ago. My decision has not really changed that much on listening to this for the first time in said five years. Okay, but there is far better Scandinavian prog out there. Mr Sorum's new project is Progatom.

More Jon & Vangelis, this time State of Independence, which is a great old track, and far better than that Donna Summer cover which was a massive hit in the day.

Genesis. The Knife, from Genesis Live. Nothing to say, really, except...Bloody brilliant.

Steve Hackett. Shadow of the Hierophant, the original studio version from Voyage of the Acolyte. Superb. Just love Sally's vocals. Imagine what it would have sounded like with Banks on keys?

The X Factor is coming to an inglorious end, thankfully, and it is time to settle down to Match of the Day. So, nos da to all.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 16:40
Oh well, Mr Laz is 51 today. I will start off a quick blog by saying a big thank you to my very good friend, Nicholas, for your PM this morning, which I deeply appreciated. Friendship on this site is important, and yours is very important to me.

As is now usual, I was presented with a prog DVD by my wife and son for the evenings delicious entertainment, and this year it was IQ's Stage, which, I think, has to be amongst the best they have got me over the years.

There are two concerts on the package, and I chose to listen to the Rosfest concert tonight on disc one. The second disc is a gig a week later in Germany (I was actually born in Germany 51 years ago today, as Dad was serving in the British Army there), and I will watch that at the weekend.

The tour is the Dark Matter one, and that album is amongst the finest I own. I will write a full review of the DVD when I get a chance, but, safe to say, this is an absolute masterpiece. Harvest of Souls is utterly supreme, and the band have the audience in the palm of their hands. I first saw IQ some thirty years ago, and they are a band who have simply got better as the time has progressed.

So, to bed soon after an enjoyable day. Given the tough issues we have had this year, I am extremely satisfied to state on this occasional blog that life is simply wonderful, and the future assured. Prog goes from strength to strength, and, when I issue my top ten of the year when Andy invites collabs to do so, I can safely say that this year has produced some mighty fine music.

I go to bed with The Wake ringing in my ears. What a gig, and what a band.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 16:50
Happy Birthday Mr. Laz!   IQ does sound like a good choice.  I've not that the good fortune to see them play live in person nor on DVD.  Enjoy!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 17:24
Happy birthday, Mr. Laz ! You are always a beacon of good sense and smart reason, may you continue on your gentle quest. 
I witnessed the Dark Matter tour back in the day, an amazing concert in a room full of devoted fans , it was quite a sight. I certainly wish you a wonderfilled 2016 , something I would hope for as well, as 2015 was a letdown aside from music and travel to my beloved Budapest. 

I will watch that IQ DVD tonight......Cheerio 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 19:09
A belated happy birthday from me too Steve. Yes - the IQ Stage DVD is excellent (both concerts) as are all the other DVDs they have released over the years (I have them all). As well as the wonderful performance of 'Harvest of Souls' at Nearfest on Disc 1 of the 'Stage' DVD, this little tune below ranks right up there with my all-time fave IQ 'lives':

It's from the IQ20 DVD (2001). Sorry if I've posted it here before...I might well have done!  Never tire of watching it, so any excuse!! Embarrassed

The whole of the Pre-Frequency Tour Show DVD that was included with the Limited Edition of the 'Frequency' album (2009) is on YouTube too (you should find it easily enough if you watch the above video on the YouTube site itself), and that is also an excellent couple of hours of entertainment. Smile

Edit: Oops!  It was at Nearfest that Disc 1 of 'Stage' was recorded, not Rosfest. Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - December 31 2015 at 08:19
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2015 at 10:08
Thanks for the wishes, chaps.

Yes, David, The Last Human Gateway is a huge highlight of the gig. Further, there is a lot of good quality IQ on YouTube, and people looking to explore the bands of that era can also see a huge amount of top quality live shows and tracks by Marillion and Pendragon.

Actually, if it is still raining at the weekend (it has done nothing but for weeks here, and I have had no chance to do any outdoor work at all), I may well put together a Tube live disc, something I have not done for an age.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 01:53
Well done, you wonderful lazy man!
The IQ stage (double disc) is amongst the very best IQ has to offer I feel. I also feel the Nearfest, Pennsylvania show may have a slight edge over the Herzberg, Germany show. Call it atmosphere or call it the 'lighting' with in the stadium cause IQ really put it together at Nearfest. I absolutely love the performance of 'Guiding light' and 'the narrow margin (middle section.)' It just brings me to have my jaw hit the floor. Not to forget to mention as well, this DVD has a killer 5.1 audio mix! We can thank Rob Aubrey for that! Boy, I really feel that Aubrey is like the '6th' member of the band. His skills as an audio engineer are among the best I think. He's no Alan Parsons, but he still is damn good! For those who don't believe me check out English Electric: full power by Big Big Train. The sound quality is masterful on those 2 discs.
Anyhow, well played Steve and I mean that literally as well. :)
What a great family you have there. Surely they know you well cause that IQ DVD is a gift that will last a lifetime. At the moment, I would definitely list IQ's Stage as one of my most treasured in my audio world. :)
I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying this DVD. Not a lot that I know on here, people I mean, don't have it.

I look forward to hearing your highlights, so that review of yours will be greatly anticipated by yours truly.

One last thing. IQ have a new double live album out! It's "The Road of Bones: Live" and it's a 2 cd set. I put in an order for it last week and it's only fitting that I end my 2015 purchases with that album. :)
I can't wait and I'm sure most of you on here will get it as well!

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 20:32
Lazland, for you Hug
Big smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 16:09
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Lazland, for you Hug
Big smile

Kati you are a great sport. Clap
This is awesome. Also, I agree with you that super Joe Satriani should have a spot here on PA. Wink

Lastly. Hello Steve! Hope you are Lazing about peacefully. Talk soon, Chap. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:08
Hello Steve!

Just checking in to say 'hello' and hope you are still enjoying the new Marillion album.
I'm thinking about picking it up myself sometime quite soon.

Keep being well, kind sir!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 13:36

Hello Steve!

Just checking in to say 'hello' and hope you are still enjoying the new Marillion album.
I'm thinking about picking it up myself sometime quite soon.

Keep being well, kind sir!

Hey Nicholas. I am great, thank you. I am grateful to you for prompting the first post from yours truly in 2016 on what has to be the most inconsistently completed blog in the history of blogs Oh well, I have the excuse of being ridiculously busy, I suppose.

I have FEAR on as I write this, and the better half watches her stuff on the goggle box. We have spent all weekend on a course this weekend in Brecon, the Emmet Technique, a therapy thing in line with much of what Glynis is both learning and practicing at the moment. She asked me to go along to have a flavour of what she is doing, and I rather enjoyed it, actually. For most of my life, therapy has comprised a healthy mixture of prog and booze. Erm.....as it is whilst writing this now!

You really must get this album. It really is one of those special albums which gets better and better with each and every listen, something new to raise your head to when something previously unnoticed raises its sound and hits you between the ears. I genuinely think that this album will be in my top three from the band in years to come, although it is fair to say that opinion is more divided on the Marillion forum.

I am going to see the band on 28 November in Manchester, and am really looking forward to my first gig in quite some time. About two years, actually. Hopefully, I will also be meeting Roj, one of the nicest collaborators on the site, so that will be nice.

Note to self.......review and blog more......note to my employer.......bloody well allow me the time to do so.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 12:52
^ hey Steve! My sentiments exactly.
Busy bee I am and my employer must give me more "me" time!
I certainly would like to run through PA more diligently but my precious few hrs of free time get eaten up by quality music.
What can I say? Yes. I am still enjoying the music...way too much!

I will definitely put Marillion's latest on my list. Just had a spin of "Misplaced childhood" today and once again with very little surprise to us both, enjoyment was massively at hand. What a sonic treasure.

Keep enjoying the music, Steve and have a great time at the concert!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 06:31
Seasons Greetings, Laz!

Happy birthday, Steve. You are one of the greats.
Enjoy your day and holidays.

Your friend and prog teammate.

Nicholas.

P.s Glad Marillion was able to strike your heart with sonic joy yet again this year!
No better feeling when your favourite band brings you that much joy.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 08:38

Seasons Greetings, Laz!

Nicholas.

P.s Glad Marillion was able to strike your heart with sonic joy yet again this year!

Thank you Nicholas. I really appreciate your post.

Just putting on my birthday present - Radical Action to Unseat The Hold of Monkey MindBig smile
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 14:15
The Lazman has another milestone! happy birthday, kind sir and wishing you only the very best ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2016 at 16:08
^

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Seasons Greetings, Laz!

Nicholas.

Thank you Nicholas. I really appreciate your post.

Just putting on my birthday present - Radical Action to Unseat The Hold of Monkey MindBig smile

Steve! Awe that's a great present! Nothing like the mighty KC to grace your ears.
I really look forward to picking up their live in Toronto disc.
Let you know how much I like that one.
Anyhow. Keep spinning my friend.
Enjoy and happy 2017!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 13:36
The first post of 2017 in an increasingly spartanly populated blog. Oh well, blame the government, for whom I so proudly flog my guts out, for the distinct lack of time available.

Anyhow, tonight's musings concentrate on live gigs.

I posted on the Dream Theater appreciation thread a while back that I am taking the boy (although the "boy" is now 15 years old, four inches taller than Dad, and working at the local pub part time) to see them in Cardiff next month. Ioan is really into prog metal, and purer metal, and he is really looking forward to this, as am I. I have never seen them, and it should be a great blokey night experience, given that the wife has no interest in this whatsoever.

I was sat down earlier, having returned from the said local pub with the dog, son, and four pints of ale, listening to Wakeman's new Piano Portraits album, which is a fine listen. I suddenly remembered. The Maestro, Anderson, and Boy Rabin are playing in Cardiff next Sunday, the first gig of the Europe leg of their much lauded tour.

Laz thought to himself........why the f**k have you not got tickets to this?

I first saw Yes "in the round" on the Tormato tour. I subsequently went to at least one gig of every Yes tour with Jon Anderson on vocals (sorry, but I have little interest in seeing the band without him), including the fantastic ABWH gig in Birmingham, which was issued on cd fairly recently. It is fair to say that Anderson's Yes are one of the two bands, Marillion being the other, for which I would drop everything to see.

So.....I spoke to the boss, she who must be obeyed at all times. I explained that this could well be the last time I ever see musicians who have shaped my life, musically and spiritually, in a live setting. I have seen YouTube vids of the Amercian leg, and the whole band look and sound great. We simply have to go, I explained to she who must be obeyed, if nothing else so that Ioan can say in years to come he saw them live.

And.......tickets booked. Hotel booked. Restaurant meal prior to the gig booked. Day off work on Monday a doddle. Laz is one happy bunny this evening

Of the bands who I love and admire, most of whom will be known to those who have followed my posts and reviews these past nine years, there is only one who I have never seen live, and they are absolutely now on my bucket list, certainly since getting Radical Action.....at the back end of last year. Yep, Crimson. I booked a ticket to see them in London in 2000, only to realise that my Inland Revenue Inspector final exams were the following day. Given that I had worked my backside off to get to that stage, failure in the exam would have meant being busted back down to admin grade, and I had moved away from home to West Wales to gain my promotion, not to mention the fact that I had met the lady I loved and who I would marry the following year, I had no choice but to not go. Bugger. What a life, eh?

I am hoping Crimson do one last UK tour. I will be there.

A final thought for tonight. Gigs are damned expensive these days, are they not? £85 per ticket for ARW, and something similar for DT. I heard some Crimson tickets were going for $200 plus in venues across the pond. Blimey..... The £30 I paid for Marillion in Manchester at the back end of last year was a massive bargain.

Having said that, we are here for such a short time. The music we love on this site gives us so much pleasure. It's not that much to pay, is it, really?

As Mr Anderson (only a week to go now!) would say, love and light to all
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>