FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 09:40
Both teams canceled each other out with their tactics, it was fine from that perspective, I just need there to be a little more end product that both teams feeling each other out for 120 minutes.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Fede View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 18:17
No words can describe this feeling

Edited by Fede - July 10 2014 at 18:19

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 05:27
Originally posted by Fede Fede wrote:

No words can describe this feeling

I wished the States had such passion for the game like this!!!TongueClap
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 22:08
I was going to post this one in the plain vanilla football thread but figured he might miss it in there so
this is for The T:

Given that Luis Suarez has previously punched his youth coach, bitten three opponents and racially abused another, is a serial simulator and diver, a self-confessed liar and used his punishments for the foregoing as a means to engineer his way out of clubs that stood by and supported him, how do you feel about him signing for Barcelona?
My own team Arsenal tried to trigger a release clause in his Liverpool contract two seasons ago but got egg on their faces and (mercifully) he didn't sign. It's a no-brainer that his addition will improve most sides but what about Barca's mes que un club motto? Does this allow demonstrably apalling people to represent the values of the club?

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 15:19
I think Brazil have possibly the world's worst defence!

good grief

2:0 after 18 mins
Help me I'm falling!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 15:46
And referee is having a mare
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 16:29
The ref seems to be getting worse!

Help me I'm falling!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 16:33
He is awful.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 16:45
Robben is so dislikeable!

Handles the ball and then claims a penalty. 
Help me I'm falling!
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:03

RIP Canary Team.

Guigo

~~~~~~
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:09
Whats happened to Norwich City?

Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:09
Norwich City were in the World Cup? 
...that explains a lot. LOL
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:12
Delia Smith carves up and stuffs a huge Brazilian turkeyClown
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 20:46
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I was going to post this one in the plain vanilla football thread but figured he might miss it in there so
this is for The T:

Given that Luis Suarez has previously punched his youth coach, bitten three opponents and racially abused another, is a serial simulator and diver, a self-confessed liar and used his punishments for the foregoing as a means to engineer his way out of clubs that stood by and supported him, how do you feel about him signing for Barcelona?
My own team Arsenal tried to trigger a release clause in his Liverpool contract two seasons ago but got egg on their faces and (mercifully) he didn't sign. It's a no-brainer that his addition will improve most sides but what about Barca's mes que un club motto? Does this allow demonstrably apalling people to represent the values of the club?

Though the "valors" thing and the "mes que un club" motto aren't really represented in the figure of Suarez, he's quite probably the best full forward on Earth (Messi and Crynaldo aren't full forwards). He's a tremendous talent and I'm very glad we got him now. Also, the fact that Madrid always wanted it gives us an extra dose of pride.... We certainly will have the best offense on Earth (Messi, Suarez, Neymar), provided Luis Enrique manages to elaborate a system that plays to each one's strengths. What really upsets me is that the priority should've been first a couple of top-of-the-line center backs, but I hope now Zubizarreta and the directive will focus on that, now that the "star" signing has been complete. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 21:19
He hasn't played a full season in 4 years due to various suspensions for biting and racism.
Ian

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

He hasn't played a full season in 4 years due to various suspensions for biting and racism.

Suarez = a huge star and even bigger idiot, with a very very small brain ! Wink Hope some Spaniard in La Liga  bites him back ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:07
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

this is for The T:

Though the "valors" thing and the "mes que un club" motto aren't really represented in the figure of Suarez, he's quite probably the best full forward on Earth (Messi and Crynaldo aren't full forwards). He's a tremendous talent and I'm very glad we got him now. Also, the fact that Madrid always wanted it gives us an extra dose of pride.... We certainly will have the best offense on Earth (Messi, Suarez, Neymar), provided Luis Enrique manages to elaborate a system that plays to each one's strengths. What really upsets me is that the priority should've been first a couple of top-of-the-line center backs, but I hope now Zubizarreta and the directive will focus on that, now that the "star" signing has been complete. 

I do wonder whether Suarez had been told to bite someone during the game by his agent/advisor/girlfriend in order to engineer his transfer to Barca.  I suspect he knew that his girlfriend wanted to go to Spain so he thought he was doing a good thing for her.  His agents wanted another cut of the £75M or whatever it was (and who wouldn't want what would be at least £7M pay off for bugger all) so they might have asked him to do it explaining to him how this would get him out of Liverpool but being economical with the truth as far as what would happen to him during the World Cup.  I'm sure he would have believed whatever they told him?

After that Barca made it plain that he needed to apologise and then when he did they then claimed he was a misunderstood angel and promptly signed him - even though he is plainly an aggressive racist little boy who has never had the opportunity to grow up. 

One thing strikes me for Barca is this seems more like the kind of move that Real Madrid would do signing expensive Galacticos rather than the players with the Barca ethos.  But I don't really follow either club and I'm sure its not the frst time.

Edited by akamaisondufromage - July 13 2014 at 05:10
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:34
^ well it's certainly plausible but I think it unlikely that even Suarez is stupid or callous enough to deliberately jeopardize Uruguay's chances at a World Cup. (unlike Liverpool, he will play for his country many more times in the future in front of adoring celeste fans.) Let's also remember that no-one thought FIFA would be able to ban him from all club football activities as well as international ones and it's likely his new employers will challenge this ruling in the courts) The only motive he would have had for engineering a transfer away from Liverpool would be to drive the price down for Barcelona. The fact that Barca were happy to pay the full market valuation of $75 million merely confirms that they had no qualms about paying the full compensation for breaking his contract with Liverpool. This surprises me a little as I would have thought Barca would have exploited Suarez's disciplinary rap sheet as leverage in obtaining a cheaper sale. As good a player as he undoubtedly is, I'm really glad Arsenal didn't sign him two years ago as winning at all costs is winning nothing at all except the complete contempt of genuine football and sports lovers.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:42

I argue that Suarez may trust his advisors and if they told him that he wouldn't be chucked out of the WC then he would bevieve them - I don't think he would deliberately jeopardize Uruguay's WC campaign.  The $75M is the price (I believe) that triggers a buy out clause in his contract - which is the reason they paid it so as not to have to deal with complex negotiations and compensation claims etc. 
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 06:08
^ It was his third offence so he/they must have allowed for FIFA to at least consider banning him immediately from taking further part in the tournament surely? I don't believe it's a 'buy out' clause as those are hideously complex and potentially tax prohibitive for the player i.e. the purchasing club 'give' Suarez the cost of him having to buy out the remainder of his Liverpool contact and the player in turn pays this sum to the selling club. So the player will be taxed heavily on this sum as income. A 'release clause' is more likely although the one in Suarez's old contract (that Arsenal triggered) was found to be unenforceable by the EPL as it only obligated Liverpool to discuss the offer - they could not be compelled to accept it. However not one single 'release clause' has ever been tested in European Law so here comes a precedent methinks...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>