Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Rutherford's Living Years Autobiography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 18:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I was there with Genesis, more than likely before you were born! On the first album, "From Genesis to Revelation". And for the record, 14 Genesis albums, 18 Anthony Phillips albums, 6 Steve hackett albums, 6 Peter Gabriel albums. 3 Mike and the mechanics, and that's it. And at one time, I had 4 bootlegs of Genesis, all of them double albums, which, unffortunately were not very good concerts at all!

What a load of tripe. You make every effort to minimize Genesis as a mediocre "pop" band, but in the same hypocritical breath you claim to have wasted hundreds of dollars on their albums -- even making the dubious claim that you bought their first album at a time when the only person that owned a copy was Peter Gabriel's mum.

I call bullsh*t on your entire inane passel of posts in this thread. Talk about derailing a discussion!

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 29 2014 at 18:31
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 22:58
What a coincidence, I just mentioned that Trespass is the album that might have had the most influence on me :) which has Mike on bass, acoustic guitar, nylon string guitar, cello (track 2), backing vocals :) http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98780&PID=5009968#5009968
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 03:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I was there with Genesis, more than likely before you were born! On the first album, "From Genesis to Revelation". And for the record, 14 Genesis albums, 18 Anthony Phillips albums, 6 Steve hackett albums, 6 Peter Gabriel albums. 3 Mike and the mechanics, and that's it. And at one time, I had 4 bootlegs of Genesis, all of them double albums, which, unffortunately were not very good concerts at all!

What a load of tripe. You make every effort to minimize Genesis as a mediocre "pop" band, but in the same hypocritical breath you claim to have wasted hundreds of dollars on their albums -- even making the dubious claim that you bought their first album at a time when the only person that owned a copy was Peter Gabriel's mum.

I call bullsh*t on your entire inane passel of posts in this thread. Talk about derailing a discussion!

LOLLOL      ........                     Clap
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
bridgingloansguru View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Bringing Spam Guru Spam from India

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 07:31
My sister read about them. i will talk to her and will back here to discuss.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

What a coincidence, I just mentioned that Trespass is the album that might have had the most influence on me :) which has Mike on bass, acoustic guitar, nylon string guitar, cello (track 2), backing vocals :) http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98780&PID=5009968#5009968

I knew about this thread because your post, so thanks! I think Mike Rutherford is a really underrated musician, a great songwriter and with Banks the deepest musical engine of Genesis from the begining till the end. In the book, by some way, he talk about this, that in fact he never took much care about the external opinions about him and his music.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 23:12
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I knew about this thread because your post, so thanks! I think Mike Rutherford is a really underrated musician, a great songwriter and with Banks the deepest musical engine of Genesis from the begining till the end. In the book, by some way, he talk about this, that in fact he never took much care about the external opinions about him and his music.

genbanks thank you, ditto all you said
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 00:30
just a pleasure nice Kati...    PA needs more women, for sure
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 13:22

You're the one that doesn't want to believe that someone else was there! You wouldn't have any idea about music and the bands at the time. It shows in your appreciation that you can only discuss one band, not the others around them!

Go sukk a burrito!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 13:47

What a load of tripe. You make every effort to minimize Genesis as a mediocre "pop" band, but in the same hypocritical breath you claim to have wasted hundreds of dollars on their albums -- even making the dubious claim that you bought their first album at a time when the only person that owned a copy was Peter Gabriel's mum. ...

You're the one that doesn't want to believe that someone else was there! You wouldn't have any idea about music and the bands at the time. It shows in your appreciation that you can only discuss one band, not the others around them!

Go sukk a burrito!

I call bullsh*t on your entire tired guru shtick.

You denigrate Geneais as mediocre, but then claim to have 20 of their albums. Who does that, except perhaps for a schizophrenic?

And I was "there", but I had the use of my full mental capacities. You were floating about the ether contemplating your navel.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:42

You denigrate Geneais as mediocre, but then claim to have 20 of their albums. Who does that, except perhaps for a schizophrenic?

And I was "there", but I had the use of my full mental capacities. You were floating about the ether contemplating your navel.

Yes I do have the albums, because I like them. Not because I kiss them as GOD as you do!

Let's talk about guru's now, since you're most interested in no discussion of the work itself!

In fact, Anthony Phillips has even allowed me to use some of his music in a live poetry reading ... but you would never understand that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:47
name dropper. Tongue
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:15

You denigrate Geneais as mediocre, but then claim to have 20 of their albums. Who does that, except perhaps for a schizophrenic? And I was "there", but I had the use of my full mental capacities. You were floating about the ether contemplating your navel.

Yes I do have the albums, because I like them. Not because I kiss them as GOD as you do!

Let's talk about guru's now, since you're most interested in no discussion of the work itself!

In fact, Anthony Phillips has even allowed me to use some of his music in a live poetry reading ... but you would never understand that!

My, aren't you precious. Why, you're the Forest Gump of Prog, a walking, talking self-insertion into every important event in rock history. Like the time you suggested to Peter Gabriel that he get an inverted mohawk haircut. Or the time you gave Syd Barrett his first hit of acid. Or when you wielded the knife at Geddy Lee's Bris. Which is probably why he sings soprano.

What a joke.

Narcissus turned into a flower, but you are so self-absorbed you've transformed into an adult male undergarment.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 20 2014 at 19:19
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 17:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

name dropper. Tongue

I don't need to drop a name any more than you do. I don't live trying to prove my dignity to folks that can't even look in the mirror without makeup and hide themselves.

The work I did is ALL out there, and much of it is listed in the National Library of Canada. I don't need PA to validate it for me!

That piece of music by Anthony Phillips, It's on the Ygdrasil Journal of Poetic Arts ... the "live poetry" issue. The only one that was ever done. Sadly when my music show was taken down getting this redone has been difficult otherwise I would have already redone it. It's not very good because I had to play an album in the background, and mic the poetry into a cassette recorder to get this done, and I'm not happy with the quality, though the feelings are true!

The other one was Kevin Ayers allowing me to use his music for my film. I sent him and his management a copy of the script. The reply was one word half a page big ... COOL ... at the bottom a few words ... nice to see my words mean something, and appreciated. Thank you. I have not yet decided to redo this or not, and have not converted it from the 8mm format that was originally done 30 some years ago.

Gilly also allowed me to use her music! She and Gong toured with the photo I took for over a year on their posters! There was also a book on Progressive Music that also used my picture and did not credit me for it. It's OK. You can't take the inner God out of a person no matter how hard you try. I have the negatives for the picture if anyone wants proof. They are on 6x7 negatives and was shot on a progessional Minolta camera.

No need to drop a name. I'm proud of the things I have done, and the ones I have shared things with. The compliments I paid these artists for their beautiful work is my only inspiration.

It's all an art for me, and I treat it and love it as such. It's not a fan worship thing for me, and never was! And to me, Mike, however talented he is, is not on my radar as a favorite. Doesn't mean I will not read the book, but it is not a priority. I would rather read, if it ever happened, how PG came up with his opus, and wonder if he will ever fess up to the arts and film and literature that inspired him so much. But being a "rock star", he is playing the card that a rock star never gives away his secrets.

I just don't worship the star thing anymore than I do the fan thing!  I honestly find you, Mr. Dean, a bigger and better artist, based on your ability to discuss things than I do the majority of these rock stars and top ten folks! But you probably don't see that! I respect that a lot! Yeah ... a bit academic, but I hope that it is for the right reasons, not the stupid ones.

Edited by moshkito - July 27 2014 at 17:45
www.pedrosena.com
Squeakyfoot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 19:24
Mike Rutherford was one of the backbones of GENESIS (or still is). But all the other members contributed to the unique sound of the band. Tony Banks was responsible for classical undertones. Steve Hackett added a kind of guitar playing that changed everything (Philips was gone). Peter Gabriel wrote the lyrics mostly and added flute, oboe and some other weird instruments (his voice) to this kind of rock. And Phil Collins was the biggest pusher for this kind of music. Without him, GENESIS wouldn't have been the same. 

So everyone has his merits. I agree that there are many progressive bands at the same time or shortly after that lined up to the musical level that we call Prog now. But I "feel" that Genesis had a quality, that not many bands could achieve. Their texture is so unique "and" accessible that only some 20 or 40 groups could come close the that universe of music. 1 hour ago I bought - nurtured by the discussion here - the record "di terra" by Banco. I listened to it. No way to talk about this music in the same breath as GENESIS. The musicians are highly educated, but they lack that "something" that I'm looking for in music in general. I will say it in one strong provocative word: a bit boring.  That's my feeling. It's the same in film. There are good films and bad films and films forever. We never will know why. We only can feel it. An analysis is probably not completely possible. It has to do with time and information as a dual entity.

The same counts for Prog Music. Most groups after GENESIS, YES, GENTLE GIANT and the likes did not reinvent the wheel again. They even sounded pretty similar to their ancestors in Prog. They copied many ingrediences of them.  Of course they also added some interesting things. But their entire work cannot cope with the huge emission of music by GENESIS or YES ..... or ....

I would deprive myself not to listen to such bands who do not stand on the list's top. There is a lot to encounter (CAN's "Soon over Babaloona" (correct typing?) is a incredibly strange track. I can enjoy that, but not all songs). But listening to the whole output they cannot convince the masses in all countries. GENESIS' sound and dramatic structures are something "eternal" - at least for me. Perhaps because they use fragments of older music in a completely new way. This also goes for the other major Prog bands. Beethoven or Tschaikowsky are such eternal music makers.

So, we should be awake to spot those music that has been unheard till now. It's our pleasure. There is no need to crown one band as the best. I'd like to learn more interesting music for my private enjoyment.  Banco's "di terra" will not play a big role in my life. But I will listen to it again.

Apropos: I bought the book "The living years" today and will read it in the next few days - if I'll get time enough. I hope for insights in the making of their music.

Just my 2 cents.

Squeakyfoot

Edited by Squeakyfoot - August 20 2014 at 19:32
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 11:28
Thanks, genbanks!
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 21:50
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Thanks, genbanks!

You are welcome! But...why do you express your gratitude?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 17:52
Back in '78 or so, a friend of mine met Rutherford at an in-store appearance at a Tower Records store (R.I.P.) in San Diego. He said that the man, neatly dressed in a herringbone blazer and woolen slacks, was a consumate gentleman radiating a gentle intelligence and both real concern and curiousity for questions flung his way by eager fans. I have no doubts that his book will reflect this character. I just wish it didn't have the same title as that sappy Mike & the Mechanics tune. I plan to read it, though. By the way, did anyone get around to reading John Wetton's autobio?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 02:19
I come from reading the book yesterday. It is worth it. GENESIS - a LIVE-Band. This is the message behind the book. Many insights in the musical business.

Thumbs up.

S.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 05:22
I think I've seen this book at my local library, will take a closer look after your recommendation

Edited by Darious - September 02 2014 at 07:34
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 06:42
Rutherford depicts the human touch of his life and talks - obviously seriously - about the people aournd him. The book ends pretty suddenly. The last recent years he is summing up only. He was probably tired of writing.

S.

Edited by Squeakyfoot - September 02 2014 at 06:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123