FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOfficial Thread Black Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Thread Black Metal
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 02:02
Hey, is there any Black Metal fans on Progarchive? 
I really love Black Metal its filled with rawness and brutal guitar and drum sound, and there are harmonic parts aswell in Black Metal. Black Metal is real music!

I can list some Black Metal bands here:

Burzum
Mayhem
Darkthrone
Bathory
Emperor
Enslaved
Gorgoroth
Dimmu Borgir (early)
Satyricon
Marduk
Immortal
Taake 
Drudkh
Carpathian Forest
Dark Funeral
Tsjuder
Dissection

There are the bands that worth a mention and i can have missed some, but there are some BM bands i listen on.

So do you like Black Metal?

Edited by Rihanna - May 29 2014 at 02:03
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 02:07
i like gorguts and krallice and deafheaven and early ulver
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 15:13
I've just finished listening to the last Absu album. At first it's weird hearing "first wave"-style black metal (as in Venom, Celtic Frost etc) played with such virtuosic proficiency and ambitious songwriting... but the band does succeed perfectly in realizing the entire "ancient civilization" theme they have to their music like I rarely have heard elsewhere in the genre.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 15:33
I like Opeth, Ihsahn and Dimmu Borgir. And Strapping Young Lad, if they count. LOL
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 16:38
Black metal is cool, k.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:05
OP....you can also go here which is a sister site to the PA. I think you will get much more involvement in their forums

Cheers!
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:09
I'm a fan of In the Woods..., Ihsahn, and Sigh
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:18
I like black metal, especially the less progressive one. I like Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Burzum, and many more. It's an area that is quite strange within my tastes. I like very raw, true black metal. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:29
I like Deafheaven, early Alcest, early Ulver, Burzum, Weakling. The image of those bands is sometimes a problem for me, though.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:44
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

i like gorguts

Me too, but they've always been death metal/progmetal?

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I've just finished listening to the last Absu album. At first it's weird hearing "first wave"-style black metal (as in VenomCeltic Frost etc) played with such virtuosic proficiency and ambitious songwriting... but the band does succeed perfectly in realizing the entire "ancient civilization" theme they have to their music like I rarely have heard elsewhere in the genre.

Absu's two latest albums are great and much more to my taste than their earlier material including fan-favorite Tara. I know its because of the thrash riffs the cleaner production, complexity and "mature" compositions. Basically everything about them that's far removed from the simplistic, muddy and thin sound of "true" black metal. Blackened Technical Thrash Metal maybe? I also enjoy their clever lyrics about ancient mesopotamian demons (+ In the Name of Auebothiabaithobeuee is one of my favorite song titles ever) and such

I guess I prefer satanic bands before the norwegians came along and defined the sound of the BM-genre. Infernäl Mäjesty, Hobbs Angel of Death, Mercyful Fate, Morbid Saint, Morbid Angel is alot more fun than Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal etc.. to my ears. But for some reason I really like 90's Burzum.

Originally posted by Rihanna Rihanna wrote:

So do you like Black Metal?
Somewhat
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 18:04
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 19:43
For the most part avant garee black metal, or symphonic black metal and avant symph black grand and wierd

Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus, Borknagar, Ulver, Gehennah, Satyricon, 1349 (live)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 00:24
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I disagree.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 04:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

i like gorguts

Me too, but they've always been death metal/progmetal?

Well, other people posted bands like Deafheaven and Krallice who are of debatable BM-ness and whose members don't even consider their own music to belong to the genre if I remember the interviews I read. Not sure if Ihsahn categorizes the stuff he made after leaving Emperor as "black metal" either.

Absu's two latest albums are great and much more to my taste than their earlier material including fan-favorite Tara. I know its because of the thrash riffs the cleaner production, complexity and "mature" compositions. Basically everything about them that's far removed from the simplistic, muddy and thin sound of "true" black metal. Blackened Technical Thrash Metal maybe? I also enjoy their clever lyrics about ancient mesopotamian demons (+ In the Name of Auebothiabaithobeuee is one of my favorite song titles ever) and such

I guess I prefer satanic bands before the norwegians came along and defined the sound of the BM-genre. Infernäl Mäjesty, Hobbs Angel of Death, Mercyful Fate, Morbid Saint, Morbid Angel is alot more fun than Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal etc.. to my ears. But for some reason I really like 90's Burzum.

Out of curiosity: Are you Zemial frontman Archon Vorskaath? He guested on a recent Absu album and shares that exact opinion on the Norwegian scene of the 1990s turning black metal from a loosely defined "movement" united more by artistic concept and ideological ethos into a codified style with a specific set of tropes for the worse.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:49

Out of curiosity: Are you Zemial frontman Archon Vorskaath? He guested on a recent Absu album and shares that exact opinion on the Norwegian scene of the 1990s turning black metal from a loosely defined "movement" united more by artistic concept and ideological ethos into a codified style with a specific set of tropes for the worse.

Ha-ha no I'm not. It's probably not that unique an opinion to have. 

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 12:18
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I disagree.

:(

Black noise is the most logical extension of the black metal genre, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 20:06
The ridiculously prolific (as in a new demo tape every month) black/noise musician Zarach "Baal" Tharagh is a top bloke... he likes my watercolour paintings! Also two of his albums, A Nightmare Testimony and Metal b*****ds are also actually quite good if you can get past the rawer-than-roadkill production.

He's also done not one but two black metal Hawkwind tribute albums which I haven't heard yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 04:19
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Ha-ha no I'm not. It's probably not that unique an opinion to have.

I just suspected that because Vorskaath's very much into progressive rock and jazz fusion these days, which can be heard on the last album he cut out:

As you can hear, they're one of Absu's main inspirations too. But yeah a lot of longrunning black metal musicians have this "Robert Fripp syndrome" where they dislike most younger artists as missing the point. See also Cronos from Venom, the late Bathory mastermind Quorthon and Burzum's Varg Vikernes even before he went into his current "Grandpa Simpson if he constantly threw around Mussolini quotes" persona.
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 07:29

Black metal, in regards to the early Norwegian scene/ milieu  in the early 1990s , shares a lot of 'intellectual' similarities with the ethos of progressive rock music- despite the fact that black metal might sound completely anathema to some progressive rock fans. Firstly Varg Vikernes of Burzum stated that when he and a few bands started in the early 1990s's - 'the music rebelled against the normal song structure'. Also there was this emphasis on sequencing an album as if it was a 'musical journey' for the listener- which is very similar to how progressive rock artists did and do sequence their albums. For example one side of vinyl for a progressive rock artist might contain one track/ or movement of music- while the other side of the record might have a different concept. This is also evident in Burzum's ethos Quote Varg Vikernes from wikipedia: Each album, he claims, was designed as a kind of "spell" in itself, with each beginning song intending to make the listener more susceptible to "magic", the following songs to inspire a "trance-like state of mind", and the last song to carry the listener into a "world of fantasy" (dreams, for the listener would fall asleep—Burzum was supposed to have been evening music).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 07:35
That's because Varg Vikernes is a huge Krautrock fan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>