FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOfficial Thread Black Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 07:54
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

That's because Varg Vikernes is a huge Krautrock fan.

I wouldn't say Krautrock per se- but more like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze which Varg listened/ listens to. Nothing like Can or Faust. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:11
Well the first couple of Tangerine Dream albums were definitely Krautrock: Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri and Atem. Zeit keeps the Krautrock aestethics intact although it is more of a pure electronic excursion into space and beyond.
I have a hard time picturing Varg chilling to say Melrose or Tyger

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 07 2014 at 09:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:24
Just curious...but where's the official White Metal thread..?

Clown

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:29
Canada
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:36
Behemoth.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 10:50
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't. Varg is a Bee Gees fan, believe it or not. Dude's a total weirdo even by Nazi Occultist standards.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 17:38
Nazi Occultist? Well, everyone's entitled to their opinions...

Bee Gees fan??? Hell naw.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 01:55

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't. Varg is a Bee Gees fan, believe it or not. Dude's a total weirdo even by Nazi Occultist standards.
The most intersting artists of any genre are usually much more open to all kinds of music than their fanbase. I love Bee Gees as well.

-Not that I'm much of a fan of his music but was in a bar recently where Fenriz (Darkthrone) was DJ'ing. It was great. He didn'play any metal, but lots of heavy prog (such sa High Tide's "Futilists Lament") and 60's Soul (I recall Shirley Ellis' soulbanger "The Name Game") some jazz stuff... really eclectic and fun. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 03:07
I used to dig Venom back in the day (late 80's for me) - they even had an 18 minute, side-long epic, but when I found out that the lead vocalist/bassist had a blacked out room with a Pentagram to worship Satan, I thought he was a pretentious knob and turned to Magma for comfort
Archeus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 05:54
I'm a sucker for atmospheric / depressive black metal, especially the more melodic "blackgaze" genre. I also enjoy the more raw and brutal stuff though.
Oh, and Burzum should totally be on PA imho.

Edited by Archeus - September 14 2014 at 05:54
What about dogs? What about cats? What about chickens?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:07
As someone who likes black metal but doesn't really understand the appeal of most shoegaze as a result of finding it a rather uninteresting style when it comes to narrative structure of the songwriting, attempts to combine the two do nothing for me. Then again I also find most "depressive black metal" rather kitschy and not in a fun way.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:51
There's no doubt some of these folks can play their respective instruments.......(just not so tastefully for my liking....)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:59
For some genuinely progressive black metal, you might check out Darkspace. Lengthy, intricate compositions featuring creative production usually centered around a larger holistic narrative to the entire recording. Also while their music is as dark and disturbing in its outlook as to be expected from the genre, it is so in a more abstract conceptual manner and less sensationalistic.

Also by far the best black metal to listen to while reading newsletters from UFO investigation organizations.
Archeus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 07:27

For some genuinely progressive black metal, you might check out Darkspace. Lengthy, intricate compositions featuring creative production usually centered around a larger holistic narrative to the entire recording. Also while their music is as dark and disturbing in its outlook as to be expected from the genre, it is so in a more abstract conceptual manner and less sensationalistic.

Also by far the best black metal to listen to while reading newsletters from UFO investigation organizations.

Wow, beautiful stuff, I need to check out their albums Thumbs Up
Also, nice to know I'm not the only person in this forum who takes interest in the UFO subject Wink

Edited by Archeus - September 14 2014 at 07:27
What about dogs? What about cats? What about chickens?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:44
Here are some more interesting recent black metal groups I think deserve more exposure:

Dark Buddha Rising dwell somewhere in the grey zone between black metal, sludgy doom and progressive/psychedelic rock. It's an at-first daunting looking hodgepodge of influences, not helped by their often incredibly ambitious song lengths and lyrics drawing syncretically upon esoteric occult religions from all over the world with almost Helena Blavatsky-like eclecticism. I am as a result extremely grateful that their end results show all the talent required to make such diverse inspirations come together seamlessly. Just like Helena Blavatsky grasped at the primordial truth behind all the world's religions, so it seems like DBR have tapped into the same spirit of genius at work in all the different genres.

Named after a Roman emperor, Diocletian are from New Zealand and belong to the so-called "bestial war metal" movement: A very thrashy style of black metal defined by a militaristic and vaguely totalitarian aesthetic, often with a slight dystopian tinge in the manner of early Voivod. (many of its earliest practitioners are Canadian so I don't think that's complete coincidence) I frankly find that sub-sub-genre pretty hit-and-miss with a higher than usual percentage being rather kitschy, but Diocletian are somewhat more technically involved and generally ambitious in their songwriting. It helps that their visual aesthetic isn't quite as cartoonish as usual for the style.

Lugubrum are a very odd Flemish black metal group whose entire concept and aesthetic draws on Flemish cultural history... if in a less overtly nationalistic way than typical for the genre. For instance their lyrics, atmosphere and cover art all take quite a few cues from Renaissance-era Flemish literature and art as best known from Pieter Brueghel the Elder's paintings in their stylish yet deranged Hell-on-Earth vibe. What makes their music interesting to people here is that they're the only Captain Beefheart-influenced BM group I've ever heard, as a result of the Captain being of Dutch-Flemish extraction....

Sühnopfer, a French one-man project, won't win many awards for originality. They are however the band for those of us who righteously consider Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun one of the finest achievements of black metal only to be disappointed by that Swedish group's subsequent output. You know what that means: Highly melodic black metal with a strong death metal influence, showing both a level of ambition in the songs' narrative structurse and breathtaking complexity in the instrumental interplay that's rarely attempted in the genre - let alone pulled off this well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12