Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStorm rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storm rock
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 08:37
I've finally started up Hakenecho, a musical project dedicated to storm rock. No, not stupid "white power" idiotism, but instead actual storms, severe weather, that kind of things.

Within the past five weeks I've had a sudden surge of inspiration and wrote and recorded this here album:

http://hakenecho.bandcamp.com/album/hakenecho

What I'm interested in is feedback from you guys, musicians and listeners alike. After spending some time on this forum I've gotten a better picture of what is considered progressive. Consciously or unconsciously the "progressive" elements slipped into the work, so I'm interested in hearing if what I've ended up with is actually as progressive as I think it is.

Living is learning. Make my day, folks, or burst my bubble!
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 09:59
I can't access Bandcamp right now, but I'm very interested in the idea of "storm rock".  I will check it out at the next opportunity. Thumbs Up
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 19:14
Bump 'cause feedback is highly desired on this one!
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 20:45
very nice efford! Clap

you can definately hear the weather out of the music but i donīt know if iīd call it storm rock for that reason Wink
for me it would fit in the instrumental progressive metal or experimental/post metal genre.

after listening to the album (or is it an EP?) in a whole i have to say, that i really like it!
the melodies are somehow naive but i like the minimalistic approach very much Smile
it is simple yet beautiful - accessible but also complex enough to call it prog without hesitation, with very nice atmospheres and great build ups!

like a rough gem, it reminds me a bit of DTs "A Change of Seasons"

i suggest to add this dedicated new proghead called Hakenecho to the archives.

would you mind to tell us a bit more about this project?

thank you for sharing and
prog on dude! Smile
It's just a ride... <3
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:08
Thank you! It's indeed an album; I had originally wanted to put it onto a microcassette (after hearing the sound quality on those, though, I bailed) so I had to keep it within certain constraints time-wise.

The project is an attempt to evoke or depict storms and violent weather with rock/zeuhl instrumentation with all the constraints and possibilities this presents--and to not use too many notes as turbulence is not about the debris but about the flow. Back in 2008 I had written a tropical cyclone piece called "Uragan" but I felt it never was what I had wanted it to be. "Hakenecho" finally was what "Uragan" should have been, much more fitting for a storm.

For the time being it's still a solo project, but I hope it'll grow to a group proper so that the live performances can actually BE the storms they depict. I'm in charge of everything right now but learning to [actually] play the bass so I'm "officially" the bassist.
 Post Reply Post Reply