Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtomic rooster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atomic rooster
    Posted: May 30 2014 at 18:19
Just picked up the first 2 albums and the next 2 are on the way. Great stuff. Just a question about the first album, how many songs from the original was Canns vocals and guitar added too? Were these songs recorded again or just dubbed over?

Edited by dr prog - May 30 2014 at 18:22
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 18:29
I only know the debut from the LP. All vocals were by Nick Graham (bassist, flautist and some guitar touches). There is a bonus track I've noticed called Play The Game if my memory serves me correct. This could be with Cann. Don't know if there was any tweaking done to the original album tracks.
Oh, wait till you get In Hearing Of. Man, what an album - the song Black Snake is one of the best, sung by Crane himself.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 30 2014 at 18:32
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 18:56
I have these 2 Atomic Rooster LPs in my vinyl collection-Death Walks Behind You & Made In England.I have 3 or 4 Atomic Rooster CDs that compilations.I have plenty of Atomic Rooster,need to listen to it more often.Maybe i should give Budgie,Uriah Heep & Hawkwind a break....And crank up the Rooster!
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 20:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I only know the debut from the LP. All vocals were by Nick Graham (bassist, flautist and some guitar touches). There is a bonus track I've noticed called Play The Game if my memory serves me correct. This could be with Cann. Don't know if there was any tweaking done to the original album tracks.
Oh, wait till you get In Hearing Of. Man, what an album - the song Black Snake is one of the best, sung by Crane himself.

Black Snake has been an earworm of mine for years, I just can't get that tune out of my head and find myself singing it as I wander around.

Death Walks & In The Hearing are both fantastic albums. I was never really a fan of Chris Farlowe's vocals in Rooster in later line-ups though I like his solo stuff in the 60's. I saw their tour in the 80's, really excellent concert.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 20:42
I heard In hearing of on YouTube a couple of times. Sounds cool although I don't like black snake much. Would have preferred Cann on vocals still. He only sung on 1 song and it's probably my fave
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 21:57
I've been a big fan since the late 70s. I have and love passionately the first four albums, and Atomic Rooster '80, and a later compilation called Homework with a previously unreleased album and the early 80s EPs.
              best thing they ever did was the End Of The Day Polydor EP from '82, imho.
              I once saw (but did not meet) Rooster guitarist Steve Bolton in downtown Ottawa, Canada around 1989.

Also a big fan of the Rooster splinter group Hard Stuff featuring du Cann and Hammond.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 22:00
Can't go wrong with the first three albums in particular, and even after that all their albums had a couple of killer tracks (alongside a bunch of nice but throaway fillers). But the playing was always superb, and you should check out some of the live vintage Youtube clips of them, there's some terrific live performances to enjoy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 22:22
Chris Farlowe is not my favourite singer, though Made In England and Nice 'n' Greasy (or IV in its U.S. version with a much better artwork and 2 different tracks - and John Goodsall on guitar as Johnny Mandala !!) just work with his bellowing blues approach. Vincent Cheesman was an amazing organist. Bless 'im.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 19:31
I noticed only Friday 13th was redone with canns vocals and I think sly and before tomorrow had canns guitar added to them
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 19:49
Never liked 'em. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 21:42
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I noticed only Friday 13th was redone with canns vocals and I think sly and before tomorrow had canns guitar added to them

That's correct, I asked the same question about the debut just recently. As I gather there's a UK and a US version, I think it's the US version that has no guitar on those three tracks.
I have the first four albums and recently I've really grown to love Made In England much more, it's a little different with some excellent soul vibe to it, on top of that the playing is really good and tight, I think it's a little overlooked.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 18:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I've been a big fan since the late 70s. I have and love passionately the first four albums, and Atomic Rooster '80, and a later compilation called Homework with a previously unreleased album and the early 80s EPs.
              I once saw (but did not meet) Rooster guitarist Steve Bolton in downtown Ottawa, Canada around 1989.

Also a big fan of the Rooster splinter group Hard Stuff featuring du Cann and Hammond.

Hard Stuff, I recall having a couple of their releases on LP back in the 70's. In Hearing had some strange songs like 'Breakthrough", Head In the Sky, etc. The third track , (cant recall title), reminded me of Peter Gabriel or some early obscure Genesis tune. 
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 18:34
Never cared for Atomic Rooster and they pale in comparison with Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson who are arguably the finest prog bands to ever grace this earth.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Never cared for Atomic Rooster and they pale in comparison with Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson who are arguably the finest prog bands to ever grace this earth.

I'm sorry, but can you make a post that doesn't reference any of those bands? Geek

Have you explored anything more recent? Tried listening to music that is relevant to the progressive scene today? I'm all for listening to the classics but i just get annoyed when we just talk about the same things over, and over. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:02
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm sorry, but can you make a post that doesn't reference any of those bands? Geek

Have you explored anything more recent? Tried listening to music that is relevant to the progressive scene today? I'm all for listening to the classics but i just get annoyed when we just talk about the same things over, and over. 

There aren't many bands that I consider top-notch working in today's prog scene, so, to answer your question, no, I can't make a post without referencing these hugely influential 70s bands. LOL But, seriously, I'm a huge Hackett fan and have have really been loving the music he's been coming out with these past couple of years. He had a rather dry spell in the '80s. I also have been enjoying what Steven Wilson has been doing whether solo or with Porcupine Tree. I also like IQ, The Flower Kings, some of Marillion's albums, Pendragon (their older stuff not the music they're currently releasing), Transatlantic, RPWL, Sound of Contact, but, honestly, there's just not many prog bands that have much of an original style these days. Of the Italian prog scene, I like PFM, Banco, and Le Orme. I've been meaning to check out the French band Pulsar, too.

Anyway, I don't stray very far from the bands I love, because life's too short to waste time on music that's just 'okay' to you. 
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:05
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hard Stuff, I recall having a couple of their releases on LP back in the 70's. In Hearing had some strange songs like 'Breakthrough", Head In the Sky, etc. The third track , (cant recall title), reminded me of Peter Gabriel or some early obscure Genesis tune. 
Hey, Johnny, right on! I discovered Hard Stuff in the early 80s, along with du Cann's under-rated pre-Rooster band Andromeda. All of which have made it onto CD in well remastered versions. All of which have stood the test of time for me quite well. Have you heard Andromeda?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:09
This discussion is for another thread. Though I appreciate the nice response. I didn't want to come off as barbed.

I think you should find bands that deviate from the style you know. You say there aren't many original prog bands out today and that's completely wrong. You're just limiting yourself to these symphonic and neo bands that depend on the sound you're so familiar with and in love with. If you listen to every band yearning for a Hackett sound or the next Wakeman then of course things will ever reach your standards.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:44
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

This discussion is for another thread. Though I appreciate the nice response. I didn't want to come off as barbed.

I think you should find bands that deviate from the style you know. You say there aren't many original prog bands out today and that's completely wrong. You're just limiting yourself to these symphonic and neo bands that depend on the sound you're so familiar with and in love with. If you listen to every band yearning for a Hackett sound or the next Wakeman then of course things will ever reach your standards.

Again, I simply don't like wasting my time with a band that I find just 'okay'. If a band's music hits me emotionally or intellectually or even both, then there's a good chance I'm going to check out their music more in-depth. I'm extremely picky when it comes to music and I don't like everything I hear, but if I'm not drawn into a band's sound, then I'm simply not interested. It's that simple really. Fortunately, for me, I have found many bands that have resonated heavily with me through the years and, of course, I have discovered, and continue to discover, new bands all the time. So, no, I'm not limiting myself with anything.  

Edited by Mirror Image - June 02 2014 at 19:44
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 22:02

None of those bands sound like each other, and Atomic Rooster and those bands sound wholly dissimilar (and vice versa).

The first two albums, at the very, very least, meaning Atomic Rooster and Death Walks Behind You, are classics, IMO. Many fans also rate In Hearing Of as highly, but the first two are essential.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 22:11

I already like them more than Crimson and Floyd during the 1970-73 era. They are 2 bands that I don't consider top 10 bands(all prog related) of the 70s. I even prefer Sabbath and Purple over those 2. Pity Rooster couldn't stick to a settled lineup. That would have prevented them from continuing for the decade and because of Cranes problems. Yes and Tull are the kings of 1970-73. Genesis wouldn't make my top 5 of that era.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>